THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:55 am 

donmentor wrote:
There is no single entity that would be saleable. It would have to a package of various parts of the set up. But what sort of package could he put together that would attract a soccer mad multi millionaire ?

I'm not even sure that he would be free to offer the stadium without some agreement with MK Council.

Even the stadium has parts that a soccer buyer would probably not want to be responsible for. The Arena , the hotel, the Italian resteraunt etc for example.

So what exactly has Pete got that he could sell as a football club ?

Exactly this.

It's like when Factory Records went bust. There was quite literally nothing to sell. They had no contracts with the bands. Didn't own the masters. Had no copyright. Nothing. Like Intermk in a way. Loads of stuff, but nothing as a whole. Who'd want to buy a club that doesn't own its own stadium for a start? The first thing that'd happen would be the rent would go up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:21 am 

I suspect the option C in that Mackinly report might be quite attractive to a new businessman owner, even if Winkelman hasn’t followed it.
The owner has to keep the team at level 5 to retain the lease, but that leaves the option to reduce the funding to the football and risk one more relegation, though reserving some emergency funds to avoid a third one. With the smaller crowds, stewarding costs etc are massively reduced (close one side?).
Then prioritise the stadium for big events, internationals, rugby, American football etc, which do make money, and push the music events hard. Without a focus on football, they could have a weekly concert through most of the year.
No, I don’t believe Winkelman would ever do this, at least not deliberately, but someone else?
I hope not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:08 pm 

Gers wrote:
From where I'm sat, or more accurately laying, it looks like he's beginning to lose interest in the football side of things.

We were one point away from The Championship a couple of seasons ago. Look where we are now. Sweeting offered to resign, Pete turned him down. I think someone's already mentioned that it's probably more to do with the fact that we'd struggle to replace him than the fact that he, Sweeting, massively fucked up last year.

I like going to football. Like the so-called matchday experience, meet up with friends, couple of vastly expensive pints, and just talk shit. The football has become a bit of a byproduct for me. As I've constantly banged on about, I'm really not well, and last season finally did it for me. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again now, it's only a fucking game.

We all know how the club came to be in MK1, a retail park development. If it hadn't been Wimbledon, it would've been someone else. I'm constantly amazed that folk are constantly amazed that Pete puts his other money-making ventures before the football club. He's a businessman, pure and simple, a businessman. Witness the recent parking debacle. There was no real reason to do that. There's plenty of spaces in and around the stadium. The only reason to do it is to squeeze even more money out of an already dwindling fan base.

It's not rocket science, he's a businessman who's out to make money, and the sooner folk grasp that, the happier folk will be.

Mate. As you get older. That is exactly what football is about. Or not about. It's about getting out the house for a few hours. Meeting a few mates having a beer and talking rubbish like blokes do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:06 am 

The football club is just the players.
Everything else is hired off and owned by inter.
When Pete has said about outside investment at meet the fans nights he made it clear that he couldn't sell to anybody with assets of less than 50 million as he said that's what it would take.
Would you pay 50 million for a bunch of players without owning the stadium or any other assets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:10 am 

BarryR wrote:
When Pete has said about outside investment at meet the fans nights he made it clear that he couldn't sell to anybody with assets of less than 50 million as he said that's what it would take.
Would you pay 50 million for a bunch of players without owning the stadium or any other assets.

To be accurate, he said the buyer would need those assets to succeed in getting the club into the top divisions; it wasn’t his price.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:36 am 

epdon wrote:
BarryR wrote:

To be accurate, he said the buyer would need those assets to succeed in getting the club into the top divisions; it wasn’t his price.

He also implied he would only sell to someone with this ambition, so they would need to be very significantly wealthy, in a way that Pete isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:37 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
epdon wrote:
BarryR wrote:

He also implied he would only sell to someone with this ambition, so they would need to be very significantly wealthy, in a way that Pete isn't.

I honestly can't see anyone wanting to take on a football club with a dwindling customer base and can't make any money out of it because they don't own the Stadium.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:31 pm 

Zeberdee wrote:
paul4040 wrote:
epdon wrote:
BarryR wrote:

I honestly can't see anyone wanting to take on a football club with a dwindling customer base and can't make any money out of it because they don't own the Stadium.

Historically when the ownership of a club and its stadium are under separate control things don’t tend to go well.