THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alex Gilbey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:34 pm 

We stay up if he had signed last season.

I really didn't realise how much I/we missed him until he came back. It's the old cliche if he 'gets this club. And he's still got plenty of football in those legs

Post subject: Re: Alex Gilbey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:09 pm 
Absolutely. He's done himself and the club proud wearing that captain's armband. Can only comment on the three games I've actually watched this season (I didn't see the Tranmere game) but he's the only player I can confidently say puts 100% in every game.

As you say, he "gets" it. He embraces who we are, knows we're the most hated club in football and still shows passion for wearing the badge.

Not many other players I can think of in our (short) history that "get" it - Lewie obviously, George Williams (English George)...anyone else?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:51 pm 

Filth wrote:
Absolutely. He's done himself and the club proud wearing that captain's armband. Can only comment on the three games I've actually watched this season (I didn't see the Tranmere game) but he's the only player I can confidently say puts 100% in every game.

As you say, he "gets" it. He embraces who we are, knows we're the most hated club in football and still shows passion for wearing the badge.

Not many other players I can think of in our (short) history that "get" it - Lewie obviously, George Williams (English George)...anyone else?

Sam Baldock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:31 pm 

Filth wrote:

Really? Isn't that a bit 'old hat' now? Man City/Newcastle funded by dodgy means....?
There's different reasons to 'hate' other than the false narrative afc (and some others) spin.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:47 pm 

Ahhh yes, the ever reliable Alex Gilbey, the driving force of the team, always gives it 100%, glad he’s back here :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:57 pm 

Was absolutely gutted when he left, for the exact reasons mentioned in his thread. May not be the most technically gifted midfielder we've had, but as an overall package, he's fantastic and offers a bit of everything. Even in the gloomy days of RN, he never downed tools.

Great choice as Vice Captain and that's no slight on O'Hora.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:54 pm 

Love the guy and yes it is vital we have a face in the squad that "gets it" and embraces our identity as a maligned and unpopular club.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:32 pm 

I thought he was poor today by all accounts. I love him. Worship the ground he walks on but a spade is a spade and he was poor. For me anyway. Throw stats at me if you like, Idc.

Took his goal well.

But the rest is true. He's a fantastic role model. He's been a leader and a true example since the day he signed for us 6 years ago. What he lacks in performance he often makes up in leadership. I bet you if he'd scored the first goal today (Eisa's) he'd not have celebrated against his old team. But the circumstances meant, rightly, he celebrated his sides equaliser with his fans. He might be Colchesters graduate but he's our boy and we fucking adore him. Hope he knows that. Sure he does.

As for the previous point about "getting it" - many more than you think "get it". Bowditch, Potter, Kay, Dave Martin, Navarro, Keef, O'Hanlon, Wilbraham, Jude, John Gorman, Karl Robinson, Paul Tisdale, Houghton, Agard, Chadwick, Liam Manning, Russell Martin... I could go on and in. We've had many who "get it" more than we think

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:12 pm 

A spectacular finish (and very decent assist) at any level of the game never mind League bl**dy 2.
And just look at his celebration afterwards!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:35 pm 

Was MJ completely dropped for the game or injured?