THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:04 am 

THE MELTDOWN – CRAWLEY TOWN
WOW…..well, so many places I could start this off, and I’m not sure what direction this is going to go in so hold tight this could be a collection of erratic thoughts and observations and finally a meltdown I can get my teeth into.

Southstander said to me on the way out of the ground last night, “The writing was on the wall versus Tranmere”, and he is so right, but I have to add, it was worse, so much worse than that second half 45 mins against Rovers, it was appalling, terrible, and bloody awful to watch, and really a bloody shambles, but I consider myself lucky as I left early and dived up the M40 with the M25 closed and saved myself the magical mystery tour endured by the official travel and many others.

I said in the last Meltdown there was still a whiff of last season about our performance, and that whiff has quickly turned in to a stench, in fact it’s worse than last season, its now vomit inducing…..and the burning question must be, who the hell were those people wearing Dons shirts at Wrexham, where is that grit and determination and the never say die attitude that played the media darlings off their own pitch.

Let me say right now before I forget, Crawley Town were worthy winners and if anything, the result flattered us, and the only thing we got out of the game was a keeper’s error.

Let me also say, with this team we are going nowhere fast, once again we have been sold a pup, if we were really “Going for it”, do you really think we would be signing on the managers mate, or Ash Hunter come to that, GA is an experienced manager with a fairly decent reputation, but he is quickly sinking in my estimations, but should we blame the manager or should we say managers, so advice for him, don’t walk too close to any busses Mr Manager, you could be the next fall guy in a succession of ones gone before.

I swear last season the plan was to not invest too much, and just have a quiet little season in midtable.

Nobody would get to upset, money would be saved / made and then if it hadn’t gone too bad we could have possibly forked out a few quid here and there, but somebody badly miscalculated.

Now what…the big money days are gone, with the best followings we can expect from Notts County and Wrexham, the club’s solution, cost cut more and add a bit more on food and drink, plus throw in a few parking charges for good measure….and yes if you are going to the Fans Forum / MKDSA AGM tonight they will even charge you for parking so desperate are they to squeeze every last penny out of you, but their problem is quickly going to be that the fanbase is shrinking at an alarming rate with rumours of just over 3,500 season ticket holders remaining, and yet they still haven’t worked it out, they badly need fans yet they are progressively pricing people out of going…..seems to me like a recipe for disaster, things can only get worse if they pursue this tack.

If you are going to the FF/AGM tonight I hope you have a lovely time, make sure you have your bingo cards ready to tick off all the usual flannel. They will tell you what you want to hear, some will believe it even though it’s been rolled a hundred times before, and don’t forget to be grateful we have football in Milton Keynes.

If you feel brave ask them about recruitment or the lack of it, the training ground is always a good one, sure to get a few laughs…how long has it been…. I mean it’s perfectly reasonable we still haven’t got one, it’s not like half of Milton Keynes has been built in that time…. oh, hang on.

Then there’s Lewington’s, a fan led initiative that could have been so good, but the club didn’t want to do to much even though it was raking in cash by the bucketful, do you know somebody once told me Lewie’s was only making a couple of hundred quid every week but he didn’t seem keen when I told him the DSA could take over the whole running of it, and then only did the minimum to shut the DSA up, remember that bar was run and paid for by the fans and the DSA, it was growing, the club didn’t need to do much, but the club don’t like spending money, especially on the fans.

Back to the football, or the lack of it, last night was appalling and embarrassingly bad, we had no idea for the entirety game, schooled by the red hot favourites to be relegated, we were never in it from the first to the last minute, even when we were fortunately level it felt only like a matter of time before normal service was resumed.

Crawley played at speed with accurate passing, creating space and movement, they pressed us all over the pitch and we had no answer, and only when Devoy came on did we look to get it on the ground and start playing, but it was too little, too late. I lost count of the wild reckless humps forward to nobody in particular, and when it did go near Mo and Leko they were generally outmuscled by bigger and stronger defenders, it felt so last season, if not worse. We know this rubbish doesn’t work with the players we have, so why after a season and a bit are we back trying to play it again.

Talking of Leko and Eisa, their ability to play as a front two last night was shockingly bad. I know greed in a striker is sometimes thought to be a good thing, but they have to learn to be able pass it to each other, especially when they are unmarked.

I’m struggling now, there is lots more, we all know it, rumours that GA only trusts certain players, and thats probably why we have had the same lineup in every league game, and he only subbed on Devoy as he had little other option, so swallowed his pride and got him on the park.

You would think then we would be recruiting…. I mean we are going for it aren’t we…..so since we signed on a very ordinary Hunter…nothing, even though everything is screaming this team needs investment.

I hope someone asks tonight why we have loaned out Kemp to a rival, he proved himself in a very poor side last season, and yet he has been shipped out, trust me there is more to this than meets the eye, this has nothing to do with ability, I’m guessing but I would not mine betting that Kempy rubbed someone up the wrong way last season, so we have decided to shoot ourselves in the foot….it’s the MK Way you know.

So then…..to get ourselves realistically competitive, we need players, but that means cash most likely….and that’s where the story ends, because we both know that is never going to happen, it hasn’t for the last god know how many years, so why when the club are trying to eek every penny out of the fans it can, why should things change now.

Tonight, you will hear the same old sound bites, No 1 targets, blah, blah, blah, we know what we need blah, blah, blah, you will be patted on the head, give rapturous applause, and be gullible for another 6 months or so and follow the masterplan…..I must obey…. I must obey…I must obey.

In the end it all comes down to money, and we don’t do money, well unless it comes to selling someone, and then we can’t wait to cash in, and I can’t recall the last time we reinvested some of that cash back into the team, and while we are talking about it, don’t rule out more outgoings, after all we don’t want to stand in their way, and let’s face it at least half that lot last night didn’t look like they wanted to be anywhere near Crawley.

Now…. prepare yourselves to do a stint on Wikipedia, as there will no doubt be a signing very soon, you know, just to appease the displeased fanbase. It will be someone you have never heard of before, with a lovely little show reel, think Ash Hunter but with 3 goals in 80 plus games, he will have been rejected several times before coming here, but don’t let that bother you or stand in the way of the media hype, we won’t have paid a fee, but we might suggest we have behind the veiled “undisclosed fee” rubbish we normally roll out.

I’m going to wrap this up now, I could waffle on all day about this tripe and the business policy of the club, but as usual I will leave you with something as I always do.

Many moons ago when I was starting life in the big wide world a manager said to me, “remember if you do nothing you actually fall behind with your competitors”, we have I’m afraid taken that to a different level.

So, Colchester on Saturday…. zero points…what could possibly go wrong.

Later disciples.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:08 pm 

I see they have now made parking free tonight……shame it takes fans getting angry before common sense overcomes the desire to cash in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:17 pm 

WellDon wrote:
I see they have now made parking free tonight……shame it takes fans getting angry before common sense overcomes the desire to cash in.

Odd considering the MKDSA put out a statement saying they asked the club and the club said no. So as you say, they had to see our reaction to notice this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:19 pm 

CleanDon wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Odd considering the MKDSA put out a statement saying they asked the club and the club said no. So as you say, they had to see our reaction to notice this.

They read the forum a lot, I guarantee. A lot of their comms in pre season was centred around issues which appeared on here and not in the wider ether like Twitter. Also on here there are far more posters who actually know what the hell they are on about too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:13 pm 

The classic WD write up. If only we could create chances as swiftly and consistently as you deliver these posts. I enjoyed reading this much more than I enjoyed watching the game last night that is for sure.

I mostly agree with your analysis. Whilst we do need more additions I think we do have quality players for this level. I think we've made things harder for ourselves by bringing in a manager that requires a big squad overhaul. We aren't going to get the best out of what we already have here under GA and we won't recruit enough quality players to give him the squad depth he needs. Its the worst of both worlds really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:38 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
The classic WD write up. If only we could create chances as swiftly and consistently as you deliver these posts. I enjoyed reading this much more than I enjoyed watching the game last night that is for sure.

I mostly agree with your analysis. Whilst we do need more additions I think we do have quality players for this level. I think we've made things harder for ourselves by bringing in a manager that requires a big squad overhaul. We aren't going to get the best out of what we already have here under GA and we won't recruit enough quality players to give him the squad depth he needs. Its the worst of both worlds really.

This is a great observation - players like Kemp and Grant for instance, whilst they have been poor they are both proven at this level so it does feel like we're cutting our nose off to spite our face. Perhaps this is why there has been a lack of movement recently because of a stalemate between GA and LS/PW.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:40 pm 

In respect of Hunter, we would be better of with the other one

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca_esv ... 09&dpr=2.5

Who said it was the Alexander vision of Ryan Harley was spot on. I wonder if he carries the gaffer's bags.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:49 pm 

Just about acceptable.
Not really negative enough...
(And I'm ready to pounce the moment there is optimism.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:52 pm 

I'll just add that, IMHO, GA's interview post game is feeble and b*llocks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:07 pm 

Good write up WD.
I do wonder what Pete's finances are like following the COVID Lockdowns, and the general poor state of the economy since.
Given the postings online over the years saying we would go bust, I hate to say it, but how viable are we in L2, with 5k crowds or less, in a 32k stadium?

The only other alternative opinion is that Pete and his family have become tired of the club and it's drain on the overall group's finances.

I hope I'm wrong in both cases.