THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long ball rubbish
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:39 am 

Ormeau wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
Filth wrote:
Surely the club's analysts and the coaching staff are going to look back at these first three league games under Alexander and realise either a) this isn't working as it should and/or b) we don't have the right players to play this way.

It's like we've been relegated and everybody from top to bottom just thinks "well this is how League Two football is" and have tried to adapt to that. But when you see Crawley playing much tidier than us, it's proof we can still play a heavy possession style. And the best thing is, much of our squad know how to play that way.

Either the club needs to go all in with backing Alexander and bringing in several more recruits who can play this way before the end of the window, or Alexander needs to relax his style and adopt a way a playing that accommodates our player's strengths.

You’d like to think the question around style of play would be in his interview. But do you trust Winky, Crampton, Sweeting, Gibb, Cove and whoever else is on an interview to actually ask that?

GA keeps talking about being willing to mix things up to get wins. Hasn't shown any evidence of this but I'm sure he say in an interview and said "my teams score loads of goals and that means winning football".

Also he comes out with some utter bollocks. His claim about city going direct to Haaland 3o+ times in their match vrs Burnley was strange. Must have watched a very different game to me.

He has a wide screen TV, although he must have been puzzled why Haaand was complaining he wasn't getting the ball

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:13 am 

Ormeau wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
Filth wrote:
Surely the club's analysts and the coaching staff are going to look back at these first three league games under Alexander and realise either a) this isn't working as it should and/or b) we don't have the right players to play this way.

It's like we've been relegated and everybody from top to bottom just thinks "well this is how League Two football is" and have tried to adapt to that. But when you see Crawley playing much tidier than us, it's proof we can still play a heavy possession style. And the best thing is, much of our squad know how to play that way.

Either the club needs to go all in with backing Alexander and bringing in several more recruits who can play this way before the end of the window, or Alexander needs to relax his style and adopt a way a playing that accommodates our player's strengths.

You’d like to think the question around style of play would be in his interview. But do you trust Winky, Crampton, Sweeting, Gibb, Cove and whoever else is on an interview to actually ask that?

GA keeps talking about being willing to mix things up to get wins. Hasn't shown any evidence of this but I'm sure he say in an interview and said "my teams score loads of goals and that means winning football".

Also he comes out with some utter bollocks. His claim about city going direct to Haaland 3o+ times in their match vrs Burnley was strange. Must have watched a very different game to me.

Manchester City played 64 long balls in the game with Burnley (the 4th highest of any PL club that weekend!), so I don't think he is talking bollocks. The ball is in play for an average of 55 minutes, and City had 65% of the possession, meaning they had possession for 36 minutes and still played 64 long balls.

City do sometimes play in a direct manner to Haaland, just not all the time. They also play a lot of shorter passes, and the variety is key. As Paisley would say, "it's not about the long ball or the short ball; it's about the right ball". The difference is Pep has the most talented squad in England and we don't; we don't even have any depth for L2, and we don't have the personnel to play longer passes as we don't have a link up man like Haaland. What makes Haaland so special is he not only comes deeper to receive, hold up, or flick on the ball, he is also able to make up the ground to then get into goalscoring positions inside the box.

All we need is someone like Aaron Wilbraham who did a brilliant job of holding play up and bringing others into play. Of course, when he was here, in L2, people in the Cowshed thought he was "shite", but he was a key part of that team and Ince used him to good effect.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:17 am 

If long ball gets you results and ensures you create more chances than the opposition, then I am for it to get out of the league.

However we’ve conceded more chances in the opening 3 games than we have created. We were very clinical agaisnt Wrexham, very lucky against Tranmere and absolutely dreadful last night.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:50 pm 

The players would go to the fans forum but they would overhit the target and end up in Caldecotte Lake.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:45 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
The players would go to the fans forum but they would overhit the target and end up in Caldecotte Lake.

I heard they were still told to be working on fitness and were running round it....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:21 am 

A long ball from Milly set up Hemp's goal. It can work with the right people up front.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:00 am 

donmentor wrote:
A long ball from Milly set up Hemp's goal. It can work with the right people up front.

I think that was more due to the defending than anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:17 am 

Personally I'm not worried about the occasional long ball to test and try to catch the defence out. However, it was Einstein who said that insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting dfferent results.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:45 am 

donmentor wrote:

She doesn't train on the same sort of grass as our lot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:14 pm 

not that i’m advocating for the low quality long balls we’re playing at this moment in time, so far in the 4 games this season we’ve only played more long balls than the opposition once and that was against tranmere which is probably just from the fact we were hoofing anything that came near the box as far away as possible.

this is where the urgent need of a target man comes in i.e luke armstrong who wins about 10 headers a game, or even ellis harrison who we are linked with who wins about 6 a game compared to eisa not even winning 1 a game last season, because from the moment we get a physical player who can win those duels and pluck it from the air and lay it off to eisa/leko/any winger who can run, suddenly those “aimless” long balls become a lot more effective

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next