THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long ball rubbish
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:42 am 
dons50 wrote:
Would we be worse off now if we had not sacked Manning but stuck with him through difficult times?

Continually changing managers, particularly if the next one plays a different style, really doesn’t help, in my view.

I've said it time and time again - you can't predict whether changing a coach/manager will make things better or worse. But when you're in a dire situation of chronic defeats, sliding down the table and there's no sign of improvement you have to make changes and the easiest cog in the wheel to change is one man, not an entire squad.

In our particular case it's player recruitment that has been the problem, not the coach. I don't think it really mattered who was in charge last season, we were going to struggle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:48 am 
Surely the club's analysts and the coaching staff are going to look back at these first three league games under Alexander and realise either a) this isn't working as it should and/or b) we don't have the right players to play this way.

It's like we've been relegated and everybody from top to bottom just thinks "well this is how League Two football is" and have tried to adapt to that. But when you see Crawley playing much tidier than us, it's proof we can still play a heavy possession style. And the best thing is, much of our squad know how to play that way.

Either the club needs to go all in with backing Alexander and bringing in several more recruits who can play this way before the end of the window, or Alexander needs to relax his style and adopt a way a playing that accommodates our player's strengths.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:02 am 

dons50 wrote:
Would we be worse off now if we had not sacked Manning but stuck with him through difficult times?

This was always my preference.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:32 am 

It clearly wasn't working with Liam either, but whether he was dealt a bad blow by the club or not, he didn't help himself. It was correct to change, we just blew it with who we appointed.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:39 am 

I can only imagine we have other players lined up to come in if we are going to play a more direct game. Our current front two have pretty patchy fitness records, and the only thing that could be worse than punting it up to the 10 stone wet Mo Eisa would be punting it up to the 9 stone wet Max Dean.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:47 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
I could take Long ball rubbish with wins, goals and excitement.

All I saw tonight was the classic Tucker and Smith hopeless mis-directed punts up field to either no-one or our slender number 10.

Panic football.

Whilst I wouldn't like it, I'd accept it especially in this league and after last season. The concern is that we haven't really built a squad for it. If we'd signed a big man early on and replaced Wozza with a Wycombe reject then I'd understand it to an extent. Pure panic as you say, and to me that was evident when we set up 5-3-2 opening day - weird Manning got called out for formation change, yet GA hasn't really. Does GA simply not think the squad is capable enough or what he wants?

Difference is Manning played a certain formation and was successful. Then he changed it just cause he could and then flipped and flopped between the two. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it surely? But then again the success of Manning was nearly all down to Martin. As much as people don't want to admit it he created that success Manning just had to pick the team and even then most of it picked itself. Alexander can't work out much like Jackson who is good and what works. But then again this is a side effect of just working on fitness in pre-season which whilst needed to be done, doesn't help where there are other things so fundamentally wrong with the club from a playing perspective

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:54 am 

dons50 wrote:

Continually changing managers, particularly if the next one plays a different style, really doesn’t help, in my view.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Very easy to look back now and say it wasn’t the right decision.

We were utterly atrocious under Manning last season. The mistake was not getting rid of him sooner if anything. The only reason is got as long as he did was due to our 3rd place finish the season before.

We made a further mistake by then recruiting someone with no experience, who may have done well under different circumstances, but not during a relegation battle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:06 am 

Filth wrote:
Surely the club's analysts and the coaching staff are going to look back at these first three league games under Alexander and realise either a) this isn't working as it should and/or b) we don't have the right players to play this way.

It's like we've been relegated and everybody from top to bottom just thinks "well this is how League Two football is" and have tried to adapt to that. But when you see Crawley playing much tidier than us, it's proof we can still play a heavy possession style. And the best thing is, much of our squad know how to play that way.

Either the club needs to go all in with backing Alexander and bringing in several more recruits who can play this way before the end of the window, or Alexander needs to relax his style and adopt a way a playing that accommodates our player's strengths.

You’d like to think the question around style of play would be in his interview. But do you trust Winky, Crampton, Sweeting, Gibb, Cove and whoever else is on an interview to actually ask that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:07 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Very easy to look back now and say it wasn’t the right decision.

We were utterly atrocious under Manning last season. The mistake was not getting rid of him sooner if anything. The only reason is got as long as he did was due to our 3rd place finish the season before.

We made a further mistake by then recruiting someone with no experience, who may have done well under different circumstances, but not during a relegation battle.

Sack Manning in October like we should have done as soon as we hit 24th. We would have had a new manager in November who could assess the squad better and maybe bring in different players who would make a difference or develop better tactics other than the ones Jackson did. Hell we might not even have had Jackson we could have got someone else in with a bit more about them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but lets not really dwell on it what done is done and we really need to worry about going forward.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:27 am 

CleanDon wrote:
Filth wrote:

You’d like to think the question around style of play would be in his interview. But do you trust Winky, Crampton, Sweeting, Gibb, Cove and whoever else is on an interview to actually ask that?

GA keeps talking about being willing to mix things up to get wins. Hasn't shown any evidence of this but I'm sure he say in an interview and said "my teams score loads of goals and that means winning football".

Also he comes out with some utter bollocks. His claim about city going direct to Haaland 3o+ times in their match vrs Burnley was strange. Must have watched a very different game to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next