THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:28 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – TRANMERE ROVERS
I had plenty of rants last season when we lost, so just for a change one where we won….and let’s be clear, we didn’t deserve to, but of course we will happily take the points and sit proudly at the top of the pile, but if we are going to stay there or be in and around the top table, we need to get performances like this well behind us.

I thought at half time….this is good, Tranmere finished last season midway, this is going to be a breeze isn’t it, it all looked so comfortable, Mo scored with his head…shock horror….defensively we were sound, midfield we had the game by the scruff of the neck with Gilbey, MJ and Robson running things, Norman was getting free all the time down the right and putting in some telling crosses and Harvie fancied his chances to score again, it only felt like a matter of time before we scored again and Tranmere would have been off up the M6 well and truly educated.

At halftime the Rovers Gaffer made three changes and we looked a shadow of the assured unit that trotted off at halftime…..it was like both sides had swapped shirts, we turned into them, and they looked a better version of our first half display.

All of a sudden we looked in panic mode, and worse still, tired, Norman hardly saw the ball on the right flank, and the assured midfield were getting overrun, with some last ditch clearances to keep Rovers out…it was bloody awful.

If it hadn’t of been the fact that Tranmere wasted some golden opportunities like the free header with 4 Dons defenders just standing about watching, plus the crossbar saving us (did Mac get a fingertip to it) and it would have been a far different story…Tranmere must wonder how they never got even a point out of a game they dominated in the 2nd half.

A couple of things I am pondering…did Tuesday night where we went near enough full strength, did that sap our energy today, and GA had little or nothing to offer from the bench, although I wonder why Devoy wasn’t brought in to shore up the midfield, and already I can see myself questioning the logic of Hunter, sorry I can’t see anything there at all, I want to be wrong, but at the moment the lights are off and nobody is home.

We are such a fragile unit its unbelievable, we so badly need recruits, if I was GA I would be banging on Pete’s door on Monday to get somebody in and quickly, we can’t get away with this too often.

So, we should have been beaten, simply because Rovers had the ability to change the shape, personnel, and the dynamics, we couldn’t…it’s as simple as that, and in honesty there is very little left to be said…. recruit, recruit, recruit.

One final gripe……MacGillivray in goal, two games, two yellow cards for time wasting, why, just why, he knows the rule changes or whatever they are, so why bother, the way he is going he’s going to be banned mid-September, so bloody stupid and unnecessary.

That’s it, I’m out of here, I’ll see you for the Crawley preview where we better make a better fist of it.

Laters.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:41 pm 

Actually think ha Kemp is a better player than Hunter. I don't understand the change.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:43 pm 
I'm just astounded that for our first two league games our best option when defending a lead with 5 minutes to go is to bring on a non-contracted academy player (seemingly our only defensive player on the bench).

Bench today, like the Wrexham game, was woeful. Only striker on the bench being Dean.

Didn't see the game today (but listened) and sounded like we were lucky not to concede in the second half especially.

We won't get away with a performance like that against the stronger teams in this league.

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Actually think ha Kemp is a better player than Hunter. I don't understand the change.

On paper they are very similar in terms of position, height, strengths/weaknesses etc but Kemp is definitely has the better form and can also score from free-kicks. Still puzzled why we loaned him out and brought in Hunter who effectively does the same job.

Last edited by Filth on Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:44 pm 

I'll take the positives, having not actually seen the game. That sounded like the sort of game we lose 3-1 last year, and if you can win while playing badly, that is not a bad sign. Can't be playing badly every week though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:52 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
I'll take the positives, having not actually seen the game. That sounded like the sort of game we lose 3-1 last year, and if you can win while playing badly, that is not a bad sign. Can't be playing badly every week though.

True, but you had to be there to appreciate the true ghastliness of the situation. The clueless 'attacks' - was it it one shot on target or two in the second half? - created despair amongst those around me.
Yes we need new blood but doing something....anything...creative with what we have wasn't on offer. As I've said on another thread i expected to see GA screaming blue murder at them them for the flaccid, desperate football.
But no. He didn't.
:( :( :( :( :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:04 pm 

The second half display was dreadful, as I said on another thread we were out played, out fought, out thought and generally we were dog shit on toast.

Resorting to hoofing the ball upfield as far as possible, seemed to be the order of the second half, it was a miserable watch, yes we won, but a better team would have buried us

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:08 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

True, but you had to be there to appreciate the true ghastliness of the situation. The clueless 'attacks' - was it it one shot on target or two in the second half? - created despair amongst those around me.
Yes we need new blood but doing something....anything...creative with what we have wasn't on offer. As I've said on another thread i expected to see GA screaming blue murder at them them for the flaccid, desperate football.
But no. He didn't.
:( :( :( :( :(

Oh I'm not doubting it looked poor at the game! Most of them played on Tuesday (I question why, in a BS competition we don't value), I fully expected a second half drop off. Club Twitter updates made it sound like we were getting battered and tbf they are very biased towards us, so I knew we were bad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:17 pm 

Loaning out Kemp looks worse with every matchday squad. He’d no doubt improve our bench.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:41 pm 

Kemp was shite for us. Hunter may not be the answer but he's clearly got a bit of fight about him. I reckon he's an upgrade, albeit marginal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:45 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:

They play different positions. Kemp is a 10, Hunter is a winger