THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tonight's game
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:46 pm 

Despite the result, I thought there were some real positives. We definitely didn't deserve to lose that game, let alone 2-0! Thought we were the better team throughout, apart from a couple of spells here and there. Overall, not fussed as not a comp I care about us progressing in. Even getting a decent team in the next couple rounds isn't much excitement considering they play such weakened teams.

I did however think the game changed once we switched to 4 at the back, which just didn't really work at all. With Ilunga going off, we should have kept with the same formation, moved Harvie to LWB and brought Smith on.

Hunter - I thought he struggled initially but he grew into the game. It was clear playing in CM wasn't natural for him, but he adapted after a while. I was disappointed not to see Devoy come on from him.

MacGillivray - He really has to stop palming the ball out directly to the opposition.

Leko - Quite a contrast to Saturday, Really struggled against League 1 defenders.

From about the 50th minute, we went through a spell where we were really sloppy. Constantly giving the ball away and making mistakes. The Tucker of early last season crept back in as well. Stupidly letting the ball go over his head when there was a player running in behind and then a minute later trying to dribble out from the back and losing it.

Still a lot to work on and squad depth needs improving, but a lot of positives to take. I think Wycombe are one of the weaker teams in League 1 this season, but regardless, we played pretty well.

Post subject: Re: Tonight's game
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:55 pm 

Completely agree with East Wing however leko is not the answer alongside mo. Need a bigger striker more physicality and may win a header. Few other to come in plus the pensioner Lewie I think we'll b there or thereabouts come may

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:56 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
MacGillivray - He really has to stop palming the ball out directly to the opposition.

Just put up a post about Mac and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to me A) it’s quite tough as a GK (i play GK myself when i’m playing football but not very skilled) to get down to the ball from a shot 10 or so yards out at an angle and actually push it in a desired direction and B) surely it’s on the defenders to not switch off and let their man wander away from them for an easy tap in which they did so many times last season.

i agree with you on the back 4 thing though, even last season we looked so much more under control of proceedings in a back 5, wish the managers would see that though

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:06 pm 

Think he should have caught the one at Wrexham and last night neither were real ferocious shots