THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:37 pm 

I started writing yesterday, but would've got snowed under by excitement and I knew that wasn't right - so left it a bit.

Day started off well, pissing rain and I decided to wear white shoes. Twat.
We left MK just after 9 and felt like it'd be too early, but parking etc was potentially tricky. Turned out to he a stroke of genius as the traffic after Shropshire was abysmal and the country roads fucked us.

I was intending to do an Alby on the Road episode - but honestly, I couldn't be bothered. Once we got to Wrexham, parked up, had to walk to find a cash machine to pay for said parking and walked to a pub full of Wrexham fans - I couldn't record audio that wasn't going to be 1. Too loud from singing Welsh people. 2. Everyone I knew who'd talk was horribly pissed. 3. The rain was battering down on my phone. I gave up.

Got to the game and I must say, everyone at Wrexham was lovely. Stewards were great, the locals were friendly and there was no animosity at all, was a generally warm and great place to be. Just wish the sun was shining - but either way, everything in how they came across in that documentary series was pretty damn true actually. So fair play.

Onto the game; I thought we were superb from minute 1. Passed the ball fast, but with control. Everyone knew their role and showed real commitment and togetherness.
Eisa and Leko's link up play was staggeringly good. Leko, will, over the course of the season frustrate the shit out of us on many occasions. I keep describing him as very Daniel Powell. When we're great, he's one of the best players we'll have. When we're not and we need to rely on him to galvanise the team, I am hopeful he'll be that guy to lift us. The Wrexham game he was utterly superb. Felt like a mission from him to prove a point. Same for Eisa. If you think you're better than League Two, prove it then? And that's exactly what they did, lead from the front and had a big smile on their face the whole game.

MJ, Gilbey and Robson, woah now we're talking. First to almost every ball, communicated very well, committed and brave in a tackle and positioned themselves well. I've come close to writing Robson off completely, whilst I was only a few days ago saying he's not good enough, he has proven a good player for us in the past. He's dug in and got on well with it and showed real commitment and quality over the game. Fair fucks.
I thought defensively we were superb, actually. Harvie was probably our weakest player, a lot of their qualities were down his side and he stood out at struggling to cut out crosses and deal with loose balls. Great goal, but looked a bit off it.
Woz and Tucker were great. But Tommy Smith!! Wow!! That was a surprise. Looked delighted to be here and was so clever and brave. That's what we need. Norman looked like the player we've been told about. Nifty, quick, smart and exciting.

I think 3 flattered Wrexham. Our new keeper let himself down with at least 2 goals, he's better than that so I'm not worried, but he did look nervous. Conceding 3 goals and having a good defensive display is a weird comment but I think most would agree, individually we showed qualities and collectively as a group we looked organised.

I liked our "game management". Everyone seems to know how to do a Lewie now, and we know how to see a ball out for goal kicks and corners etc. Professional and smart stuff
I got the impression that despite the lack of strength on the bench, GA wanted to work this XI for as long as he could. If he can't have a training session before the game it felt really like he asked them to give him 90 mins. And Leko was blowi g not long before he went off so clearly had nothing left to give, but everyone else looked so assured. We looked 10x fitter than them which is staggering and great in equal measure. This thing some have (and I've not been quiet in expressing my confusion on this being a given) about us now being long ball would've been pleasantly shocked. Some of the nicest, neatest and fast passing play I've seen in years. Nothing stupid. Nothing overly spectacular on the eye for neutrals, but we got it moving and everyone knew their role. It didn't feel aimless, needless or slow. It felt quick and energetic.

The players' celebrations were wonderful. Engaged with the fans, stuck together. It felt like everything they weren't a few months ago. Hopefully, it stays that way. We never looked shaky or panicky. Woz not being captain was a surprise - though Gilbey isn't a bad choice ofc, he'd be my pick any one of the seasons he's been here after Lewie. Maybe Woz didn't want it, who knows.

The fans were great. But clearly many there for the first time or introduced to an unknown part of away travel. Some old folk right at the back who'd gone to their allocated seat weren't too pleased with the celebrations or the swear stuff and the standing. Sorry guys, but you'll need to learn quick.
Some cracking songs. "Dons are back in blue" was great, as well as one I got started to the home support: "Welcome to the Football League". It'd have been dark and funny if that bit us on the arse by the end. Mumbling something like 'Alex' or 'Graham' to Ei Ei Ei O was funny. The national anthem was special too.

Overall really fun and great stuff. Uplifting start to the season and it'll be made all the funnier when we lose 1-0 to Tranmere having played a shocker :lol:.
Not getting too excited - it was what it was. The thing that'll get me excited is 2 League wins in a row. Then 3. Then 4. And consistent performances.

Let's gooooo

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Last edited by Alby39 on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:45 pm 
Agree with all of that, except I didn't think Tommy Smith was great. Not terrible, but a lot of room for improvement. Made a few blocks and defensive headers but multiple occasions he gave the ball away without any pressure. There were two occasions in the first half where he had all the time in the world and a couple of easy passing options open to him but just decided to play a long ball that went straight to their keeper or somewhere else other than one of our players. This was when Wrexham were giving us a fair amount of pressure after our second goal before half-time.

He wasn't the only one guilty of that though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:49 pm 

Typos. Reported.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:51 pm 

Sue perb write up alby, completely agree on every point.

My favourite take-away from yesterday was, and the subsequent pictures cement this, we are fast becoming a team of shithouses and quite frankly, i love it!

Harvie, mcgilviray, wozza, gilbey, norman, leko in particular really have that wum in them and its great.

This is going to be a special season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:58 pm 

Thanks for the write up.

Saw the 10-min extended highlights and we were much the better team, just sharper, fitter, more "at it".

That was a serious statement result and performance after a rather weak preseason. I think at the very least the gaffer's decision to cross his arms and scowl and prioritise fitness at the expense of some rather tepid friendly performances has paid off. He isn't a people pleaser and I like that.

Leko's 25 yarder was superb and Mo's goal was class.

Wherever we finish I think the opening day across L2 showed this will be a very exciting and competitive season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:28 pm 

Agree on the MacGillivary bit, not heard many call this out. Shot straight at him that he palmed to their player for the first. I'd like to see the 3rd goal from a different angle as well, because I don't think it's in the corner and rather went through his hand.

Not trying to be negative here but at least we can easily see how we could have prevented these goals. MacGillivary is a lot better than that, so him having an off day and us still winning is a positive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:39 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Typos. Reported.

It's doing my tits in because my laptops fucked atm and my phone tends not to correct what it should. For someone else who calls out grammar a lot, I've got a lot of eggs on my face lolz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:50 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Agree on the MacGillivary bit, not heard many call this out. Shot straight at him that he palmed to their player for the first. I'd like to see the 3rd goal from a different angle as well, because I don't think it's in the corner and rather went through his hand.

Not trying to be negative here but at least we can easily see how we could have prevented these goals. MacGillivary is a lot better than that, so him having an off day and us still winning is a positive.

Agreed. That's why I said it was a strange comment to say we defended really well despite conceding 3. Games aren't black and white, those that were there would probably agree we looked assured defensively. MacG was a bit poor for me. Could've done better with the goals and even in the first half he dropped a simple cross.
Last week against Covblers he threw a ball onto a defenders head by accident which was funny..
He's a good keeper, so I'm not worried but I think he'll be disappointed in himself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:51 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
This thing some have (and I've not been quiet in expressing my confusion on this being a given) about us now being long ball would've been pleasantly shocked. Some of the nicest, neatest and fast passing play I've seen in years. Nothing stupid. Nothing overly spectacular on the eye for neutrals, but we got it moving and everyone knew their role. It didn't feel aimless, needless or slow. It felt quick and energetic.

It was a weird one. Watching on the screen I found our passing went two ways. Pointless long balls or some very neat smart passing. I don't think we've become a long ball team by any stretch but when our defence and keeper have a passing accuracy of 34-67% compared to previous years when they are typically 70-90% it seems like there is a shift to faster more direct passing from the defence compared to slower shorter passes. Still not saying a long ball team, but there has been a shift, though some may say we've just got less pointless passing around the back. Some of the build up play was an absolute joy to watch. I feel like we have recruited smarter players, even the movement and confidence in each other was a world above last season. I doubted them before the game, especially with the shift to a back 5, but it all went pretty well in the end

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:15 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
This thing some have (and I've not been quiet in expressing my confusion on this being a given) about us now being long ball would've been pleasantly shocked. Some of the nicest, neatest and fast passing play I've seen in years. Nothing stupid. Nothing overly spectacular on the eye for neutrals, but we got it moving and everyone knew their role. It didn't feel aimless, needless or slow. It felt quick and energetic.

It was a weird one. Watching on the screen I found our passing went two ways. Pointless long balls or some very neat smart passing. I don't think we've become a long ball team by any stretch but when our defence and keeper have a passing accuracy of 34-67% compared to previous years when they are typically 70-90% it seems like there is a shift to faster more direct passing from the defence compared to slower shorter passes. Still not saying a long ball team, but there has been a shift, though some may say we've just got less pointless passing around the back. Some of the build up play was an absolute joy to watch. I feel like we have recruited smarter players, even the movement and confidence in each other was a world above last season. I doubted them before the game, especially with the shift to a back 5, but it all went pretty well in the end

We were verging on long ball. It was very frustrating at times.

I get not wanting to play a risky style of football and playing out from a press, but at times we had no pressure on us and with the ball with one of our CB's, there was an easy pass to either the other CB's or RWB/LWB, but instead we chose, on multiple occasions, to kick it long straight to Wrexham.

We were needlessly giving the ball back to them, rather than being calm and keeping it simple.