THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: THE MELTDOWN – WREXHAM
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:39 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – WREXHAM
Here we are again then, just another 45 games to go, or possibly more before we find out what this season has in store for us. At the moment I’m keeping my powder dry, the appointment of GA and the early flurry of new players looked encouraging, but with what I’ve seen in pre-season, and with the signings drying up, and us still well short, especially up front, my enthusiasm is flagging to say the least, as I said in my preview, I’m just not feeling it at the moment.

Still….no need to jump overboard for a few weeks, I hear Wilko’s is likely to be going bust, so we might see Pete at the “Everything Must Go” sale hoping to pick up a bargain bin special that prompts a collective “WHO” from the fans and crashes Wikipedia as everyone rushes to find out just who the hell it is we have signed.

I’ve seen suggestions just lately that possibly Pete is not giving the club credit card to GA and allowing him out on a spending spree which provokes two questions….1- If Pete has no confidence in any GA potential signings, why the hell did he employ him then…..and …..2 – Isn’t the reluctance of Pete to spend some dosh one of the reasons we find ourselves in LG 2…..I’m only thinking out loud, but what I can say with some confidence is the reluctance to spend money in some areas last season, cost us our LG 1 status, and the knock on effect is the club are likely to have lost millions in future ticket sales, and sadly some have lost their jobs because of it, to me it was a short sighted policy. If the idea was to have a quiet season and achieve a mid-table berth, whilst on a minimum spend, somebody badly miscalculated, which is slang for, f****d it up.

Still no use raking over old ground whatever has happened before is long gone, we can only hope…..and this is a big ask…. that we have learnt from it, we don’t normally, even though we say we do, but there’s always a first time.

Matchday - Wrexham then…..oooooh hold the front page, we have signed forward Ash Hunter who stands at a towering 5ft 8 ins…. hang on I’ll Google him……right ……. the club are tweeting 196 career starts, 100 goal contributions, sorry what ...contributions, what does that mean, not assists, but contributions, are we now inventing stats to make things look better.

Does a contribution mean he was on the pitch, answers on a postcard, anyway he was free, of course he was, but the stat the club are failing to mention is that he scored 2 goals in 81 games (I haven’t checked that stat, I read it somewhere), he was though blighted with injuries last season, and he was also turned down by the Cobblers whilst on trial for them in the summer PSF’s, seems a perfect fit to me, to think we loaned out Dan Kemp who had a decent cameo with relegated Hartlepool scoring 9 in 16 games, won the EFL LG 2 Player of the Month, and we end up with Hunter….. who makes these decisions, not impressed but I’m prepared to eat humble pie when he scores twice this season. I see some are hoping he recaptures his old form that saw him score 38 goals in 216 games for Fleetwood Town from 4 seasons ago, still I suppose scoring 1 in 6 games is better than 1 in 40, now that would be an improvement.

Also rumours that Burn’s is going or already gone back to Ireland, I guess we will find out soon enough if he is not at Wrexham today, and there are more rumours that the frozen out Welsh International Matt Smith is going north of the border to Scottish Prem side St Johnstone, so instead of actually increasing our numbers we are unloading them…. like I said rumours at the moment…or it was until I’ve just seen that Smith has gone to the Saints.

Right back to the game, win today (don’t laugh) and it could be huge especially by making us an attractive proposition for those that could be mulling over coming to us, lose, and more importantly lose badly, and it could send the opposite message…. if I’m honest, I’m fearful.

Team News – No Burns just about confirms the rumours. Gilbey is the skipper for some reason and not O’Hora which is a bit strange, and the bench looks woefully thin and a bit like a creche, goal machine Ash Hunter is on the bench and youngsters Phoenix Sholtz, Joel Anker, and Brooklyn Ilunga join him…. here come the teams.

OMG – freekick, no pressure and the defender heads it into his own net with the keeper rooted to his line, bloody hell and we hit the post moments later, WTF is going on.

Oh please…..Mo Eisa, what a goal, this is incredible stuff from the Dons winning every second ball.

Wrexham should be down to 10 men. Awful tackle in front of the Dons bench, but the ref only shows a yellow card.

Just having a look at the scores and Notts County are also losing 2-0 at Sutton Utd, County are also down to 10 men.

2-1, the Dons stopper saves well but Mendy reacts quickest to put Wrexham back in it.

Half Time, 2-1 to us and I am still pondering what to say about this so far…. gobsmacked, but that late goal is making me nervous. In addition, Tommy Lee should be back n the dressing room by now, bad tackle, two subsequent fouls, and he kicked the ball away which we are told is a card offence this season.

3-1, we win the ball in midfield, Leko wriggles round three players and fires it past former England keeper Foster from outside the box…..this is a dream right?

Oh, bloody hell here comes Ash Hunter, come on I’ve got enough egg on my face already, off goes Leko to rapturous applause from the sellout Dons fans.
4-2, Jordan Davies a sub on the hour mark pulls one back for Wrexham…squeaky bum time…..8 minutes plus injury time, I can barely watch.

That’s it we are the party poopers as Wrexham fans stream from the ground as Harvie scores a great goal deceiving Foster who can only admire it as it goes by, Harvie goes delirious and runs back to the Dons fans to celebrate …. dreamland, welcome to Milton Keynes Ryan Reynolds, and just like that its 5-3 as Wrexham pull another one back.

It’s all over…incredible…just incredible…..and breathe.

Well, what did you make of that, they had me fooled and loads more besides as in the pre-season there wasn’t even a hint of that, I know they count for jack, and this is the bread and butter, but to school the title favourites in their own backyard on their big day, is something of a surprise and I can only think those double sessions have made the difference.

Leko was ruthless and is going to be a marked man if he keeps that up, and it has to be said there were some good performances all round the team, my only concern at the moment is tidying the back line a bit…..but never mind that right now…what a bloody result.

The confidence to do that must be off the scale, and any player looking at that and available, that result just might turn their head.

I can’t say much else, no moans other than that little gripe, I’m going to wallow in victory and watch the highlights later, Wycombe on Tuesday, then Tranmere on Saturday where one or two just might be reconsidering their decision not to renew their season ticket.

See You Next Time

WD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:36 pm 

Quote:
I can’t say much else, no moans other than that little gripe, I’m going to wallow in victory and watch the highlights later, Wycombe on Tuesday, then Tranmere on Saturday where one or two just might be reconsidering their decision not to renew their season ticket.

You've started already....one fluky win and yer off. ;)
(I reported you in advance for optimism a la Minority Report.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:51 pm 

Stunned by the result, I’m not sure if we were good or if they were a bit unprepared/over confident.

Scoring two and hitting the post inside the first ten minutes had me rubbing my eyes in disbelief, ok the first was an OG, but hell what a start, that seemed to give the whole team a boost and looked a different side that struggled pre season.

For me in the second half Leko was outstanding, carry on like that and he’ll shred league 2 defences to bits. MJ was a beast in midfield ably assisted by Robson who was not giving up on anything.

Defensively we still look suspect, Smith on this showing doesn’t fill me with confidence, seems a bit slow and cumbersome, with a preference of just hoofing it rather than looking for options.

Still can’t knock this result, or the performance, well done lads huge,
huge win

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:11 pm 

Great game, but we won't win too many letting in three goals. So a bit of caution. We deed to strengthen the bench too. However, a better league start than the last one, against arguably a better team. Hoorah for Hollywood.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:22 pm 

WellDon, were you in the loo for the 4th goal?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:33 pm 

Thanks WD. A great result but letting in three is a cause for concern and difficult to gauge against a team that's been playing non-league football for the past 15 years. I also remember how ecstatic we suddenly became last season after a great cup win against Watford eafly in the season
So cautious optimism from me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:52 am 

Steampunk Don wrote:
WellDon, were you in the loo for the 4th goal?

Not sure what’s happened there……I definitely included it, now it’s missing……ummmmm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:26 am 

To think we took on the might of Deadpool, Wolverine and the other one, coming out victorious. Remember that just because someone stumbles and loses their way, it doesn't mean they're lost forever. Sometimes, we all need a little help. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:42 am 

After all my pessimism about how GA ran the pre-season, with little apparent coaching on display, I’m obliged to eat my hat (metaphorically).

That was some performance. And we looked like we had another gear if we wanted it. It wasn’t pretty passing football but it worked.

As others have said, we still need to strengthen (that should be a bit easier now) and let’s not ship three goals again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:27 am 

Love your articles as always, thank you.

I think that the weak bench was the main negative to come away with, loads of positives of course.

We made two subs, Hunter and Scholtz. They made all five quite early and it made a difference. We just don't have that off the bench. Judging by how long GA took to make any subs he doesn't have any confidence in them either.

Great to see us play with two strikers but we need a big man option to knock it down to Leko/Eisa. Some games we will need that more than others and it is a necessary rotation option.

Dennis and Dean, where were they? Neither are a big man option but if they can't get a game then that's two more 22/23 season signings GA doesn't like alongside all the other Manning/Jackson signings we are offloading.

Manning did well with the team Martin built. The club spun it that Sweeting built the Martin team we did well with in 21/22 but judging by every window since Martin's departure I'm not so sure. This summer window has been better than every window since Martin left.