THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:41 am 

farmerdon wrote:
Love your articles as always, thank you.

I think that the weak bench was the main negative to come away with, loads of positives of course.

We made two subs, Hunter and Scholtz. They made all five quite early and it made a difference. We just don't have that off the bench. Judging by how long GA took to make any subs he doesn't have any confidence in them either.

Great to see us play with two strikers but we need a big man option to knock it down to Leko/Eisa. Some games we will need that more than others and it is a necessary rotation option.

Dennis and Dean, where were they? Neither are a big man option but if they can't get a game then that's two more 22/23 season signings GA doesn't like alongside all the other Manning/Jackson signings we are offloading.

Manning did well with the team Martin built. The club spun it that Sweeting built the Martin team we did well with in 21/22 but judging by every window since Martin's departure I'm not so sure. This summer window has been better than every window since Martin left.

Why do you think we need a big man option when we scored five yesterday?

A target man encourages long ball football. I’d rather do without.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:53 am 

It will be a different prospect for our home games.

And we played plenty of long balls yesterday. We were fortunate Wrexham were so open.

Looking at the highlights again, Wrexham were too lightweight - very little physicality. We won’t get it that easy every week.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:22 am 

Pseudonym wrote:

And we played plenty of long balls yesterday. We were fortunate Wrexham were so open.

Looking at the highlights again, Wrexham were too lightweight - very little physicality. We won’t get it that easy every week.

A lot have said Wrexham were too lightweight but I think it was more a case of us being so fit/sharp and up for the battle. Fair play to GA. He identified one of our major weaknesses from last season and set about addressing it. If we press and battle like we did yesterday in every game we will give anyone a right tough game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:42 am 

Great write up WD

An excellent result, however this just proves what most of us have been saying recently, the starting line up is very good for this division however get a couple of attacking injuries and we will struggle.

I am not changing my mid table Prediction until I see the new additions coming through the door

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:53 am 

Right on ormeau! Seeing that yesterday i wouldnt have wanted to play against us. Teams that pressed and battled like we did yesterday are a nightmare to play against and against teams without that ability to play under pressure and lacking that cutting edge quality we will frighten them to death and blow them away with that cutting edge quality we have up top.

Ive given this some thought but that starting 11 yesterday as fit as it was and intense with that quality in the final third would not have got relegated last season. Thats as good a starting 11 as we will see in league 2 this season and imo with a bit more experience and proven quality in depth we will be the front runners this season and well in the promotion mix.

We cannot afford to get complacent we have to be up for dvery gsme as much as we were yesterday. We have a point to prove and the players need to take this division by the. Scruff of its neck and not ease off the pressure!

Over to you now sweeting and co to give that starting 11 the support it needs and flesh out that bench with competition for places! A big 5 days now to attack the transfer market!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:04 am 

dons50 wrote:
farmerdon wrote:

I think that the weak bench was the main negative to come away with, loads of positives of course.

We made two subs, Hunter and Scholtz. They made all five quite early and it made a difference. We just don't have that off the bench. Judging by how long GA took to make any subs he doesn't have any confidence in them either.

Great to see us play with two strikers but we need a big man option to knock it down to Leko/Eisa. Some games we will need that more than others and it is a necessary rotation option.

Dennis and Dean, where were they? Neither are a big man option but if they can't get a game then that's two more 22/23 season signings GA doesn't like alongside all the other Manning/Jackson signings we are offloading.

Manning did well with the team Martin built. The club spun it that Sweeting built the Martin team we did well with in 21/22 but judging by every window since Martin's departure I'm not so sure. This summer window has been better than every window since Martin left.

A target man does not encourage long ball football. That’s a very one dimensional look at the game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:23 am 

I think what yesterday suggested (too early to say proved) is that the core of the team who remain from last year (O'Hora, Harvie, Leko, Eisa, Tucker) are easily a level above this (on their day) I think Harvie and O'Hora could play Championship.

It's worth remembering that one goal would have kept us up last season, and our form in the last part of the season was comfortably mid table.

I think if we keep those players, with the new addition and a handful of exciting loanees this will be a good season

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:42 am 

Ormeau wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:

A lot have said Wrexham were too lightweight but I think it was more a case of us being so fit/sharp and up for the battle. Fair play to GA. He identified one of our major weaknesses from last season and set about addressing it. If we press and battle like we did yesterday in every game we will give anyone a right tough game.

Completely agree. I said pre-match that my big hope was that we’d be sharper than them for all the work put in during pre-season. We were first to just about every loose ball and relentlessly pressed them. They way it tends to work is that usually tails off after the first few games as all teams get up to speed. It’s then down to the quality you have. Yesterday’s performance from all the new arrivals showed promise.

Another factor for Wrexham’s sluggishness could be jet lag. Seen a few posts on their forum about the effects lasting a lot longer than you’d expect. Basically for every hour of time difference the body needs an extra day of recovery. Never heard that length of time before but they’re claiming it’s case.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:14 am 

BetterCallSaul wrote:
dons50 wrote:
farmerdon wrote:

A target man does not encourage long ball football. That’s a very one dimensional look at the game.

A target man is only great if you have someone who can pass it great distances. That is where we were lacking last season. Darling would ping those passes to twine and others accurately. Our long passing was 100% sub par last season. Hopefully Hunter can bring that noise as looking at his highlight reel it shows he is good at pinging a pass but so long as we do it sparingly and not all the time we need a balance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:47 am 
Mmmm "meltdown".

Inspired me to have cheese on toast later, but with a cheeky twist - Mexicans cheese slices instead of standard cheddar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next