THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Now pre-season is done
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:25 pm 

What are your thoughts for the upcoming season? I think we are way off it, in both squad strength and ability. I think we’ll be lucky to finish 13th at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:31 pm 

BetterCallSaul wrote:
What are your thoughts for the upcoming season? I think we are way off it, in both squad strength and ability. I think we’ll be lucky to finish 13th at this point.

Sadly I agree. The Keyser Express will remain in the sidings this year. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:32 pm 

I don’t think we’ve ever agreed, are you doing ok?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:35 pm 

BetterCallSaul wrote:
I don’t think we’ve ever agreed, are you doing ok?

I’m fine in myself but I just can’t see us being any good this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:37 pm 

Glad to hear. Agree, we’re going to be fucking shite.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:48 pm 

If we don’t strengthen the squad: 13th.

If we do and we get 2-3 solid faces in the next week or so: 6th

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:57 pm 
Obviously far too early to judge Alexander as a coach properly, but the way he's still messing about with formations and starting 11s for the final pre-season friendly does raise eyebrows.

Recruitment started promisingly but let's be honest, it's become a big concern again. Despite Alexander's "two weeks to assess the squad" finishing in early July we've seen very little movement since, when we so desperately need another striker and more firepower in general. Loaning out Kemp was a mistake and I just don't understand why we've potentially offloaded one of L2's best players to a rival.

Frustrating to stay the least when this window started so well. We won't be the worst team in L2 this season but once again our shortfalls in recruitment are going to make this a slog. Winkie and co have underestimated the challenge. As things stand, anywhere from a very late play-off push to mid-table.

If we get the best out of our weaker squad members, we hold on to Eisa, Leko and O'Hora, and bring in 3-4 quality players including a proven striker ASAP - then potentially play-offs or sneaking into autos but there's so much work to do and we've made life hard for ourselves already. It's last chance saloon for Matt Smith, Robson, Devoy, Burns, Dennis, Grant etc - we're at a lower level than when they signed, they need to step up.

Last edited by Filth on Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:41 am 

I think we're bang average.

We look disjointed, tired, tactically unsure and lacking in quality in attacking areas.

I don't necessarily blame GA - I feel like if he was given a trial month he'd probably have not bothered. I'm obviously half joking, but I believe he's incredibly fucked off at how little we've managed to pull off in terms of recruitment and he'd be right. We, and he, are feeding off scraps on the field.

A thing I knocked MJ for, and whilst I understand whyche said it publicly I disagreed when he said we have a good squad and it needed little improvement. In January, we could've replaced nearly the entire squad and I'd have been happy. 6 months later that still applies. If I woke up in the morning and found out Smith, Robson, Holland, Burns, Devoy, Dennis and Dean all left I'd not be remotely arsed.
That is seven players. And all seven of those at the time of writing seem to be players that'll be in the squad and have offered little to nothing to convince me they're going to change our fortunes.

The early signs in the transfer window screamed to me of improvement. Whilst I don't think an overhaul is clever, as we saw last year, I do believe improvements are necessary on a squad lacking quality and confidence.

I don't know where we'll be in a month but we need bodies, and energetic characters to give us some bite. We haven't got that at all atm.

10th would be optimistic.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:19 am 

A couple of the profession pundits (yes I know about last season) have us as finishing 5th, so I will say between 3rd and 7th.

We need a good centre forward (assuming Dennis isn't up to scratch) and right wing back cover. I can't supply you with Keyser Express (unfortunately out of commission), however you are welcome aboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gKXHtejS6U

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:29 am 

I reset my expectations in July after the first 2 PSFs and expect us to be mid table. There was a point that I thought we'd finish even lower but have a bit more positivity after yesterday (first time we've strung a few passes together.

We are a very poor side and I'm still not convinced that O'Hora, Eisa and Leko really want to be here. We don't look great defensively (hopefully Lewie can help sort that) and our GK has a few mistakes in him.

We missed the boat with some additional, decent out of contract players when GA took his time assessing the squad. The only way out of it is spending some money which I can't see us doing.

My guess is that we'll be in L2 for 2-3 seasons. However, I'm looking forward to winning some games for a change and seeing some new players break through (Tripp/Anker)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next