THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:17 pm 

Donsduck wrote:
Looking at some of the comments relating to Wrexham they are allegedly slow starters!

If we win our first 23 games on the bounce I’d still be worried after last season!

What Wrexham have is momentum and still real excitement about what they can go on to achieve. Their fanbase is continuing to grow daily and it's definitely a great time for their long term fans.

However, although their squad is pretty good, is it really as good as people are making out? I've heard comments saying that their defence doesn't concede many goals, but don't forget that's in the national league. It'll be a fair more competitive season for them this year.

They've only made 1 addition to their squad this season so far. They'll likely need to recruit more or risk underachieving.

Maybe they'll thrash us, but I am not overly convinced they're as good and we're as bad as is being made out!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:25 pm 

“MacGillvary, O'Hora, Harvie, Gilbey, MJ Williams, Leko, and Eisa are all easily League 1 level. These players walk into almost every League 2 team.”

last season showed that you need at least 11 league one level players all performing to survive, at some point Eisa and potentially O’Hora and Harvie will miss a few matches through injury which could be why no one has bought them yet?

League one teams have let Gilbey and Williams leave

Smith Holland Dennis Dean Devoy Burns and Robson looked like national league players at times last year, I honestly feel they are a bit lightweight for this division, factor in poorer referees more missed fouls and it is hard for them.

I know this comes across as very harsh but the last two seasons have been polar opposites, we know that it is the number of quality players we have that will make the difference.

I actually think we will be okay but I don’t think we will thrive this year, at best I think it will be two seasons at this level.

I hope to be proved wrong and we bring a couple of gamechangers in and some handy loanees but at the minute I am “cautiously pessimistic”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:29 pm 

I agree re Wrexham I actually think Stockport and Notts County (best front line in the league I think)
will be the toughest teams but that’s football and I could be completely wrong, wouldn’t be the first time

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:01 am 

A combination of the playing squad, last year's form and moving to the other side of the world has definitely left me feeling a bigger disconnect before. There's probably 4 players in this squad I actually like, whilst I think Alexander is a quite smart appointment he seems like just another manager who will come and go within 18 months.

I'm not very optimistic about this season at all. For me this summer was just as much about getting rid of some dead wood and players who showed little to no mentality last season as it was about bringing in new faces, we've not done the latter. I fear there will be too many weak minded and passive players in this squad. Gilbey, Williams and Norman are definitely additions to try and counter that, but I still think we needed more out and more in. The quality in theory is probably there, I can see many of the current squad being capable of getting promoted in other L2 sides getting but after taking a team who came 3rd to being relegated I'm not sure if they can do it as a unit here at MK.

As it stands, mid table nothingness is where I see us. I won't be angry, I'll try to enjoy the ride from my laptop as much as I can, but I just don't think we've done enough or there is enough cutting edge to get much higher in a extremely competitive league

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:21 am 

We're one ticket down in our family. Basically my son has told me not to get him one. He's away a lot, most weekends, so last season was a bit of a waste of money. As someone has already said, he's hardly likely to struggle to buy a ticket on the day.

To be honest with you, I've only got one because I can't be arsed cancelling my direct debit payments. Equally as much, I'm about to go into hospital for what may turn out to be a life changing operation. I'm okay for the first game as the opp' isn't until the middle of the month. After that, who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:35 am 

Gers wrote:
We're one ticket down in our family. Basically my son has told me not to get him one. He's away a lot, most weekends, so last season was a bit of a waste of money. As someone has already said, he's hardly likely to struggle to buy a ticket on the day.

To be honest with you, I've only got one because I can't be arsed cancelling my direct debit payments. Equally as much, I'm about to go into hospital for what may turn out to be a life changing operation. I'm okay for the first game as the opp' isn't until the middle of the month. After that, who knows.

All the best for your op.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:19 am 
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Gers wrote:

All the best for your op.

Yes, all the best Gers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:38 pm 

Donsduck wrote:
I agree re Wrexham I actually think Stockport and Notts County (best front line in the league I think)
will be the toughest teams but that’s football and I could be completely wrong, wouldn’t be the first time

FWIW, i’ve seen quite a few notts county fans saying their defence is below par for their aspirations and that they’re expecting quite a few high scoring games, they’ll have to hope Langstaff can take the step up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:41 pm 

AlexDon123 wrote:
Donsduck wrote:

FWIW, i’ve seen quite a few notts county fans saying their defence is below par for their aspirations and that they’re expecting quite a few high scoring games, they’ll have to hope Langstaff can take the step up

Yeah, there really is no guarantee the likes of Mullin and Longstaff will score anywhere near the amount of goals they got last season.

Just look at the types of teams they were playing against; Maidstone, Maidenhead, York, Altrincham, Dorking, Gateshead etc.

League 2 is a big step up, especially this season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:04 pm 

AlexDon123 wrote:
Donsduck wrote:

Between him and McGoldrick I can not see goals being a problem at Meadow Lane. Just if you can score one more than them TBH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next