THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:36 am 

I am still glass half full on this season and am looking forward to it.

The kits are better and they even had some half decent other bits and bobs in the shop yesterday. That’s a good start !

We actually looked very good against league 2 opposition in the pizza cup , and obviously hammered non league opponents in the fa cup. That was in contrast to wretched form in league 1. With the core of the defence still there, and most of the forward players, I think we will be competitive in the top 6 albeit maybe short of the top 3 ultimately.

Think players like Conor grant will look very decent next season against less strong opponents.

The manager could talk a glass eye to sleep and is clearly one of those ultra pragmatic , dogged types who will hopefully be a level head and not get too emotive as Jackson did and lose focus.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:08 pm 

Glass 7/10ths empty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:15 pm 

Still positive that we can make the playoffs. I no longer think we can win it without a quality striker.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:07 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Still positive that we can make the playoffs. I no longer think we can win it without a quality striker.

We will need a quality striker and winger to make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:18 pm 

I find GA post match interview worrying. At the start of the summer, all the noise out of the club was about bouncing straight back up. Even PW said we were going for it. That narrative seems to be getting watered down. GA said today we should have a competitive team but the squad atm isn't. Competitive shouts to me "we'll win some and lose some" not very inspiring eh. Also, he mentions that he and the club are very much aware of deficiencies in the team... but that isn't something they can sort in 4 weeks... correct me if I'm wrong but they've had about 8 weeks to get stuck into this.
We leaked goals last season and struggled to score... that has carried over into the pre season fixtures... this isn't inspiring confidence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:24 pm 
JonnyG wrote:
I find GA post match interview worrying. At the start of the summer, all the noise out of the club was about bouncing straight back up. Even PW said we were going for it. That narrative seems to be getting watered down. GA said today we should have a competitive team but the squad atm isn't. Competitive shouts to me "we'll win some and lose some" not very inspiring eh. Also, he mentions that he and the club are very much aware of deficiencies in the team... but that isn't something they can sort in 4 weeks... correct me if I'm wrong but they've had about 8 weeks to get stuck into this.
We leaked goals last season and struggled to score... that has carried over into the pre season fixtures... this isn't inspiring confidence

Agree.

What happened to GA saying he just need "two weeks to assess the squad"? That two weeks finished early July. It's been over 3 weeks since and all we've signed is MJ Williams and an ageing CB who probably won't start many games.

Big week ahead, we 100% need 2-3 more quality players worthy of starting (not squad players). We rarely sign anyone between the first competitive game and deadline day, and going by last summer I have no faith in waiting until deadline day.

It's such a shame as this window started so well. What on earth is going on with our recruitment since.

Last edited by Filth on Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:38 pm 

Yup. I am getting progressively more despondent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:40 pm 

The concern now is that we will likely only be looking at loanees. And, to get high quality loanees, perhaps from the Championship you need to be playing high intensity technical football. We are playing more direct which may raise eyebrows and not make us the prime option for managers looking to lend us a 20 year old learning his craft.

We got loads of great loanees in the past but we also played a different way then too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:44 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
The concern now is that we will likely only be looking at loanees. And, to get high quality loanees, perhaps from the Championship you need to be playing high intensity technical football. We are playing more direct which may raise eyebrows and not make us the prime option for managers looking to lend us a 20 year old learning his craft.

We got loads of great loanees in the past but we also played a different way then too.

Imagine if we were forced to start fishing in the same pool as afc kingston :?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:58 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

Imagine if we were forced to start fishing in the same pool as afc kingston :?

We aren't that desperate and never will be. Shit club playing shit football with a superiority complex. And then there's KFC. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next