THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:53 am 

Magpie wrote:
I felt it was always going to be a difficult game, Coventry are a better side than us with better players.

What concerned me the most is the whole thing was a bit deja vu and we didnt look a single percent different from the team that struggled so much last season. The same sort of abject malaise that permeated the entire club last year doesn't look to have been shaken off to me.

Its entirely possible to play well and get well beaten by a better side. We played Ok for a bit, as soon as they got their 2nd, the pattern of last season set in, just like it did last season.

Hopefully the team that would most likely start the first game of the season will start against Northampton next time out and put in a performance as if not I have a horrible feeling it could be a long old slog again.

I am a bit more positive than that . Not by much mind !

I cannot imagine we will go into September without a big unit of a striker. I can’t see how we can get up the park without one if we are launching it more. leko will be a good player to run off a big man, and possibly grant as well who has looked good at this level before. I am not sure Dean has got what it takes yet , so assuming eisa is moving on we do need another striker as well as a ‘ big man’. If we somehow blow the striker purchase I would be on the training pitch with Jules and Tripp launching long balls at them and seeing if they can do it.

In midfield MJW was blowing but I can see him being a much more effective CDM than johnson was last season. The defence has enough quality to get clean sheets in this league. The goalie looks good based on last night: he kept the score from being double figures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:04 am 

If we were a Championship side and beat a L2 side 5-1 in a friendly, no one would bat an eyelid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:06 am 
ChaChaDon wrote:
If we were a Championship side and beat a L2 side 5-1 in a friendly, no one would bat an eyelid.

How the turns have tabled. I remember us beating Coventry 7-1 in pre-season a couple of years ago (we were L1 they were Championship). Think that was a 120 minute game though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:39 am 

ChaChaDon wrote:

Thats a result focussed response though. I said before its perfectly possible to play well and get well beaten. Im not sure last night fits into that category, certainly in large parts. I thought we started OK but their 2nd sent us back into our shells.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:19 am 

ChaChaDon wrote:

I don’t recall us beating Wealdstone 5-1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:42 am 

I'll be honest, I just don't care.

Not sure I've ever felt so jaded about a football season in July, but I can feel my interest waning away. Still too many terrible players from last season and last night sounded very familiar. No matter the opposition.

My mindset may still be a hangover from the incredible drop off we suffered last season, but equally it could be from how we went down after the position we found ourselves in at the end of March. I've still not come to terms with that I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:56 am 

Towcestrian wrote:

Not sure I've ever felt so jaded about a football season in July, but I can feel my interest waning away. Still too many terrible players from last season and last night sounded very familiar. No matter the opposition.

My mindset may still be a hangover from the incredible drop off we suffered last season, but equally it could be from how we went down after the position we found ourselves in at the end of March. I've still not come to terms with that I think.

What did you expect about the shite players left over from last season? Most of them were purchased 12 months ago on at least 2 year contracts. Nobody is going to want to buy them and we are not going to release them due to the compo we would have to pay. I said before last season ended that if we go down its going to take at least 2 seasons to get back up and was before Notts County and Wrexham confirmed their promotion. If we do go up it would be doing something we have never done before and winning the play-offs. Hell just getting to Wembley would be a start. The spine of our team actually doesn't seem too bad thats the thing I am clinging on to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:57 am 

epdon wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

I don’t recall us beating Wealdstone 5-1

Wealdstone are only 1 division below us though. I don't quite get the link.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:10 am 

Towcestrian wrote:

Pretty much this. I'll still schlep along to the home games but, as of today, I'm not at all inspired. I've never felt like this before, even in previous bad times. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:30 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:

Pretty much this. I'll still schlep along to the home games but, as of today, I'm not at all inspired. I've never felt like this before, even in previous bad times. :cry:

Well that's saved me writing what I think because you've both summed up my feelings perfectly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next