THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Frozen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:54 am 

Those that were frozen out or forgotten last season, who is able to make an impact next season?

For me its matt smith that surely steps up next season?

Man city held on to him longer than most, that must say something. If his level is actually at league 2, surely it cant be any lower? Could he be a key man next season?

Whose your pick to turn things around after being out of favour in league one?

Post subject: Re: Frozen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:05 am 

I’m sure this post could be word for word for what was posted last season. We all said last year was Smiths year. The media team also heavily focused on him during pre-season too. Unfortunately, it definitely wasn’t his year at all and he was frozen out even more than the season before.

For me, I don’t even consider him an option anymore. I don’t believe he is good enough and unfortunately, I think his career in the EFL and at international level is only heading one way.

He obviously did well at youth level, which resulted in his Wales call up and loan moves but he's struggled at professional football, which happens to many talent academy players.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I've seen absolutely nothing to convince me otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:09 am 

These next few weeks are massive for Robson, Smith, Dennis and Burns in my opinion. They're the 4 that have shown glimpses that they can do something in League One but have struggled to do it consistently, with Dennis even floundering in League 2. They possiblt need to show GA early on in pre season that they have a place in this squad and can make an impact. If they don't, I don't see many being terribly upset if they leave.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:11 am 

DippyDon wrote:
These next few weeks are massive for Robson, Smith, Dennis and Burns in my opinion. They're the 4 that have shown glimpses that they can do something in League One but have struggled to do it consistently, with Dennis even floundering in League 2. They possiblt need to show GA early on in pre season that they have a place in this squad and can make an impact. If they don't, I don't see many being terribly upset if they leave.

I don't think Robson falls into the same category as the other 3. He was very consistent in his first season with us, that unfortunately got cut short.

Dennis, Smith and Burns have not put anywhere near the level of consistent performances that Robson did in his first season. Jury is very much still out on the 3 of those, but with Robson we know exactly what he can offer us and hopefully, we'll see that again this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:15 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
DippyDon wrote:

I don't think Robson falls into the same category as the other 3. He was very consistent in his first season with us, that unfortunately got cut short.

Dennis, Smith and Burns have not put anywhere near the level of consistent performances that Robson did in his first season. Jury is very much still out on the 3 of those, but with Robson we know exactly what he can offer us and hopefully, we'll see that again this year.

Robson was here for the entirety of last season and barely got a sniff. I don’t remember much talk of injury and there were 2 different managers that didn’t use him. I think internally, GA will be looking closely as to why that was and he’ll be on the same sort of trial period as the others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:17 am 

I hope I am wrong but I don't think Matt Smith will make it here. I've just not seen anything from him at any stage to show he has something. Bar his 1st appearance against Fleetwood (where an unfortunate mistake by him gave away a goal) he has always looked really low on confidence to me. In our small and lacking in physicality team of last season he looked amongst the most lightweight. Compare with Devoy (plays the same position) who despite not being that big, fast or strong you can tell he has some bite in him (and a few red cards). That bite is what makes me think Devoy will be a good EFL player. I just don't see that in Smith. We've decent depth in CM but I also wouldn't be surprised to see us bring someone in on loan in that area so competition for places will be tough.

To answer you original question I think Robson could be one who really kicks on under GA. We know he has it in him to perform at a higher level and he has shown a good engine/work rate in the past which I think GA will value highly. I think him and Gilbey could really mesh well together. Plenty of league 1 and league 2 experience and a good age. I've high hopes for Robson this season.

Another I would add would be Burns. I know he wasn't really frozen out last season but more plagued with injuries. I think GA will have us playing quite direct at times and encouraging lots crosses into the box quickly (Norman should excel at this). I think a fit Burns could do very well teaming with Norman on the right flank. Interesting to note that when in Ireland Burns had really good pressing metrics and a good stats for winning the ball back and making interceptions (for a winger). This makes me think he too will work hard for the team.

I know many will be excited about Kemp but I don't share the optimism. He showed at Hartlepool he can deliver at this level but sometimes it just doesn't click at certain clubs and I have a bad feeling that is the story of Kemp at MK Dons. His Hartlepool form was phenomenal and perhaps an overperformance when compared with the rest of his career to date. It reminds me of Jessie Lingard going on that ridiculous hot streak after joining West Ham on loan. Is it sustainable? Can he do it again with us? I'm not so sure. (Obvs I would love to be wrong).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:23 am 

DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
DippyDon wrote:

Robson was here for the entirety of last season and barely got a sniff. I don’t remember much talk of injury and there were 2 different managers that didn’t use him. I think internally, GA will be looking closely as to why that was and he’ll be on the same sort of trial period as the others.

Fair point.

Robson's drop off was so stark (he was really really good the season before last) I've often wondered was there some underlining issue we didn't know about be it an injury, personal circumstances etc. Lets just hope Robson can be healthy, happy and get back to his best because we know there is a good player in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:32 am 

Kemp and Robson are about it.

The narrative Smith will come good eventually is tiring me. He's shown absolutely fucking nothing so far. Quicker we cut our losses the better.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:20 pm 

I've no faith in Smith from what I've seen, which included a couple of Pizza Pointless Cup ties. He failed to make too much of an impact in those games and I can see why neither Manning nor Jackson rated him.

Jacko did a press call at the back end of last season which an Irish journalist joined and asked about the Irish lads we had signed. He chose to frame his answer around progress and attitude and values and said Devoy was making good progress etc, without directly mentioning Burns much - my reading was that Burns wasn't quite there yet, maybe he's a bad trainer, who knows. We will see what GA gets out of him but overall Devoy is a much better prospect and in five years when he's bulked out a bit and is 26 he will be playing at least at the top end of League 1 or Championship.

Robson and Kemp - not sure on either. Kemp I'm still not sold on, he was playing in a poor side last season and stood out. Not sure if there's a place for him in the lineup this season. Robson is an excellent player but whether he can stay fit and available is another question.