THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2023/24 Optimism
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:11 am 

As I recall, this time last yeat there was plenty of optimism on this site about the new season, then within a few games realism stepped in and not long after that the word relegation stepped in.

The 2022/23 team were a shite shower, yes we got rid of poor loanees & still have that market to tap but what have we really done to make us promotional candidates yet ?
2x goalies + 2 experienced players doesn't turn us into L2 world beaters

Granted, a decent start & well have to see how many more players come in
But as we stand I see a team maybe on the fringes of top 8. Id even like to see a few more 2022 failures leave to completely freshen up the team.

Yes top 4 or 6 is a minimum requirement from next season but so far we don't (IMO) have the players YET

Loanee market will be key as they tend to be some of our best players
COYD

Post subject: Re: 2023/24 Optimism
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:07 am 

Last year the optimism was mixed. Some thought the signings were good, some didn't.

The bigger issue was preparation. We couldn't use our own stadium and all our friendlies were all against very weak opposition. There was absolutely zero replication (opposition and venue wise) of a League game environment.

This year, so far, the signings have all been good and also sensible. I don't think anyone will have concerns about the 4 brought in so far. Still very much early days though a lot could change, with key players leaving.

Our main aim is to get out of this League but its hard to be too optimistic when you consider how difficult this league will be this year. How often are the two teams promoted from the national league favourites for promotion? I doubt that has ever happened before.

Wrexham, Gillingham, Notts County, Stockport, Bradford will all likely be towards the top end of the table. I think FGR will surprise a few people too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:50 am 

Good signings so far. Creating quality chances and overall goal threat was a major issue last season. We need to see how that's addressed in the summer recruitment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:26 pm 

Don't bl**dy start Welldon off..... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:12 pm 

GK: MacG / Harness / Sandford

LWB: Harvie / Ilunga(?)
CB: Lewie / Jules
CB: O'Hora
CB: Tucker / Waller
RWB: Norman

CM: Gilbey / Smith
CM: Robson / Grant

AM/F: Leko / Dean
AM/F: Devoy / Kemp / Burns / Anker
AM/F: Eisa / Grigg / Dennis / Holland

That 1st 11 is good enough for L2 surely. Hard to see where / how we improve that. Beyond that, more cover needed on both flanks and CB (or could shift to a 4). Loans could do that, but PL teams will not want their youngsters on the bench. Plus replacing any departures that might still happen - except Holland, Smith and Grigg who can just go. If we keep O'Hora, Eisa, Leko and Tucker, we have a great shout this season. Not sure how realistic that is.

I think we can afford to be cautiously optimistic at this stage. I was in the happy clapper camp this time last year though!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:00 pm 

Least optimistic OP posted under the title of optimism ever. :lol: