THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cameron Norman signs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:41 pm 

He’s shit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:19 pm 

Spreadsheets are wonderful things but they can't tell you how good a player is. It takes the eyes of good scout to find that. A spreadsheet is only a database and is only as good as what is put in.

Does Sweeting actually do any proper scouting ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:10 pm 

It's Bobby's old spreadsheet he uses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:58 am 

donmentor wrote:
Spreadsheets are wonderful things but they can't tell you how good a player is. It takes the eyes of good scout to find that. A spreadsheet is only a database and is only as good as what is put in.

Do you seriously think he just looks at a spreadsheet? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:04 am 

donmentor wrote:

This is the most idiotic take I’ve seen. He might not go to actual games himself as he’s too busy but do you really think we don’t have people actually in stands watching the players we’re interested in?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:59 am 

DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:

This is the most idiotic take I’ve seen. He might not go to actual games himself as he’s too busy but do you really think we don’t have people actually in stands watching the players we’re interested in?

I can believe anything after last year's recruits.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:29 am 

RedOnRed wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:

Even if we couldn't get scouts out to games due to covid etc, highlights packages and videos are far easier to access now too. We won't just simply look at numbers and go 'yeah, they'll do'. There'll be a process.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:51 am 

DippyDon wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:

Even if we couldn't get scouts out to games due to covid etc, highlights packages and videos are far easier to access now too. We won't just simply look at numbers and go 'yeah, they'll do'. There'll be a process.

That is true. But watching the highlight videos of last years crop did not give us a clue how poorly some of them would performed for us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:56 am 

Knowing GA from his playing days at Luton, this Norman chap's style is almost a clone of GA's style.
Also from a trivial point of view, is it just a coincidence that they both have christian style surnames ?
Yuo never know. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:13 am 

donmentor wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:

That is true. But watching the highlight videos of last years crop did not give us a clue how poorly some of them would performed for us.

That is why you also look at data, as well as sending your scouts to watch them play.

A reminder to those that are still unable to process this. Recruitment is not handled by a single person at any pro football club, actually not even at semi-pro level. There are a whole team of people focused on this area, from scouts, manager, DoF, Sporting Director, analysts etc.

Sometimes recruitment goes really well (2021) sometimes it doesn't go so well (2022). That's football.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next