THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cameron Norman signs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:47 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Steampunk Don wrote:
Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
No fucking idea how weve pulled this off completely out of the blue but what a signing!

Those that doubted sweeting based on 1 terrible summer that noone saw coming must be glad pete held firm and kept faith in him as hes looking like having 2 of the best windows we could expect given our league status! 1 transfer window going wrong seems like a long time as there is a long wait to be able to put it right but in terms of player signings boy has he put it right!

The biggest thing for me is hes clearly learned from the mistakes and not doomed to repeat them what with an experienced managerial signing that ticks sll the credentials and a number of players with pedigree in their approach to peak years.

Well fone liam sweeting hats off to you!

But IS this Sweeting?
Maybe this is GA?

Gilbey is deffo a LS signing. Maybe Norman was a joint target.

But I thought Liam's little black book only had young iri.....no, let's not go back there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:08 am 

Let's be honest, we have no idea who signed who. Other than the signing of players with past relationships to the head coach we don't have the foggiest, even then they could have popped up on the Sweeings spreadsheet. 9 months ago the rhetoric for some was Manning was dumped with the squad and he had no say (despite signing multiple players he has history with) then after relegation the club said the head coach chose the players from a list of identified targets. We will never know quite 'who signed who', like we will never know the true transfer fee or wages of players.

The interesting thing for me is that both signings are in their mid late 20's, likely with no resale value, which is quite the difference from the recruitment policy we seemed to be going with last year. I assume the priority this year is more results based, rather than development and resale value. However I wonder if Manning also had a slight preference to working with younger players based on his background in coaching?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:59 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Let's be honest, we have no idea who signed who. Other than the signing of players with past relationships to the head coach we don't have the foggiest, even then they could have popped up on the Sweeings spreadsheet. 9 months ago the rhetoric for some was Manning was dumped with the squad and he had no say (despite signing multiple players he has history with) then after relegation the club said the head coach chose the players from a list of identified targets. We will never know quite 'who signed who', like we will never know the true transfer fee or wages of players.

The interesting thing for me is that both signings are in their mid late 20's, likely with no resale value, which is quite the difference from the recruitment policy we seemed to be going with last year. I assume the priority this year is more results based, rather than development and resale value. However I wonder if Manning also had a slight preference to working with younger players based on his background in coaching?

Good call and also take into account Alexander's experiences, including his 24 year career with over 1,000 games. I suspect he would have looked dimly if Sweeting had presented him a list with only spotty faced youths with little league experience. As Alexander said in his interview, his objective is too win the next game. A refreshing change from focussing on neverland.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:21 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:

We do know that GA wasn't involved in the Gilbey return, based on the relative timings of their appointments. So Gilbey is down to Sweeting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:50 am 

All we know is that when we make a bad signing, its a Sweeting signing and when we make a good signing, its the Managers signing.

Forever a scapegoat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:30 am 
East Wing Don wrote:
All we know is that when we make a bad signing, its a Sweeting signing and when we make a good signing, its the Managers signing.

Forever a scapegoat.

All I know is, Sweeting and his team (it's not solely him) massively f--ked up last summer, so badly that it destroyed any credit he had in the bank from the excellent windows before. You just cannot go from one point from automatic promotion to relegated the next season, and the majority of the blame is down to recruitment. It's that bad of a hit to his reputation. I'd also say it's fair to say Russell Martin especially had some pulling power with certain signings (e.g. Twine).

For me, Sweeting is back to square one, a fresh start.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:38 am 

Filth wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Forever a scapegoat.

All I know is, Sweeting and his team (it's not solely him) massively f--ked up last summer, so badly that it destroyed any credit he had in the bank from the excellent windows before. You just cannot go from one point from automatic promotion to relegated the next season, and the majority of the blame is down to recruitment. It's that bad of a hit to his reputation. I'd also say it's fair to say Russell Martin especially had some pulling power with certain signings (e.g. Twine).

For me, Sweeting is back to square one, a fresh start.

I doubt Pete see it that way. The role is there to provide continuity, among other things, I doubt there’s much danger of him losing his job.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:51 am 

Filth wrote:
I'd also say it's fair to say Russell Martin especially had some pulling power with certain signings (e.g. Twine).

No idea why you think that is fair to say. These are from the original story on the official site on his signing and indicate a shared credit....
Quote:
“There were a few clubs interested but after I spoke to the Gaffer, he sold it to me. From that day, I couldn't wait to sign and get it sorted.

Quote:
Manager Russell Martin added: “It is a big signing for us – not only because of the ability he possesses but because of how he suits our style of play. Credit to Liam and the Chairman for making this deal happen because it is an exciting deal for all of us.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:01 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

We do know that GA wasn't involved in the Gilbey return, based on the relative timings of their appointments. So Gilbey is down to Sweeting.

I suppose it’s possible that Alexander endorsed the Gilbey signing during the appointment process. But I think it was apparent to anyone we should get him in if we could

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:03 pm 
MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Filth wrote:
I'd also say it's fair to say Russell Martin especially had some pulling power with certain signings (e.g. Twine).

No idea why you think that is fair to say. These are from the original story on the official site on his signing and indicate a shared credit....
Quote:
“There were a few clubs interested but after I spoke to the Gaffer, he sold it to me. From that day, I couldn't wait to sign and get it sorted.

Quote:
Manager Russell Martin added: “It is a big signing for us – not only because of the ability he possesses but because of how he suits our style of play. Credit to Liam and the Chairman for making this deal happen because it is an exciting deal for all of us.

I didn't say Russell Martin took sole credit, I said he had some pulling power.

It's fairly well established now that it's not just Sweeting who finds and signs players, it's his team that identity potentials, with the head coach having the final say. Winkie said this in his most recent interview. He also said players can come about because of coaches suggesting them (or even other players recommending them - i.e. Jules with Tennai).

Ultimately Sweeting is in charge of recruitment so takes credit/blame but a player joining us is facilitated by multiple people.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next