All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Cameron Norman signs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:00 am 

donmentor wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Spreadsheets are wonderful things but they can't tell you how good a player is. It takes the eyes of good scout to find that. A spreadsheet is only a database and is only as good as what is put in.

Does Sweeting actually do any proper scouting ?

This is the most idiotic take I’ve seen. He might not go to actual games himself as he’s too busy but do you really think we don’t have people actually in stands watching the players we’re interested in?

I can believe anything after last year's recruits.

Even if we couldn't get scouts out to games due to covid etc, highlights packages and videos are far easier to access now too. We won't just simply look at numbers and go 'yeah, they'll do'. There'll be a process.

That is true. But watching the highlight videos of last years crop did not give us a clue how poorly some of them would performed for us.

I'm not talking about the highlight videos that the media team put out to hype us up about our latest signings. I'm pretty sure scouting networks would have more in detail videos to mull over which showcase everything that a player can and can't do. Maybe even full games. Analysis teams at the top levels will edit full match footage and tailor it for specific players to then show in individual meetings after matches, it would make sense they can do similar for prospective signings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:02 am 

DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Spreadsheets are wonderful things but they can't tell you how good a player is. It takes the eyes of good scout to find that. A spreadsheet is only a database and is only as good as what is put in.

This is the most idiotic take I’ve seen. He might not go to actual games himself as he’s too busy but do you really think we don’t have people actually in stands watching the players we’re interested in?

Even if we couldn't get scouts out to games due to covid etc, highlights packages and videos are far easier to access now too. We won't just simply look at numbers and go 'yeah, they'll do'. There'll be a process.

That is true. But watching the highlight videos of last years crop did not give us a clue how poorly some of them would performed for us.

I'm not talking about the highlight videos that the media team put out to hype us up about our latest signings. I'm pretty sure scouting networks would have more in detail videos to mull over which showcase everything that a player can and can't do. Maybe even full games. Analysis teams at the top levels will edit full match footage and tailor it for specific players to then show in individual meetings after matches, it would make sense they can do similar for prospective signings.

You'd hope not!! Tshibola looked a world beater in those highlight reels :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:14 am 

DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:

It that case, how did so many get it so wrong ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:20 am 

donmentor wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:

Not all transfers work for various reasons. We just had a larger number of those than usual.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:31 am 

donmentor wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
donmentor wrote:

It wasn't so much that our individual player recruitment was wrong, it was just that our strategy was and we made mistakes. Coupled with the disappointment of last season and the atmosphere amongst fans early on (We were pissed off for a number of reasons), it didn't make for a great place to be.

Form in temporary, class is permanent. A number of those players we signed in the summer that are being described as 'shit' will probably go on to have a decent spell at their next club.

You only have to look at the proven League 1 players (some with us) that didn't perform well last season. Johnson, Robson, Holland, Grigg, Tucker (until Feb/March).

I personally feel the recruitment was bad (but not as bad as is being made out) but also there was a negative attitude across the entire club that affected the players. It doesn't matter how good our signings are this year, we have to make sure that other issues are resolved too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:36 am 

On a different note, Norman played as a RWB last season for Newport. I wonder if that is an indication that we're sticking to 5 at the back?

------O'Hora--Tucker---Lewington-----
Norman--------------------------Harvie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:31 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
On a different note, Norman played as a RWB last season for Newport. I wonder if that is an indication that we're sticking to 5 at the back?

------O'Hora--Tucker---Lewington-----
Norman--------------------------Harvie

Yeah, I'd hope so. Direct replacement for Tennai I guess.

Still need cover/competition for both LWB and RWB. But not the biggest priority right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:33 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Not all transfers work for various reasons. We just had a larger number of those than usual.
[/quote]
It was Tucker's fault.