THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Preferences
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:38 am 

1) what would be your preferred formation? (3 or 4 at the back, 1 or 2 up top etc doesnt have to be exact)
3 CBs with wing backs that cover the whole length of the pitch. Two CMs, don't mind if we go one #10 and two up top, or one striker and to half-wingers
2) preferred type of striker (big and athletic? Or more technical and creative? Or an out and out poacher fox in the box?
Depends on how we set up. If we just have one up top, then technical to bring the attacking midfielders into play. If two, then one poacher and one supporting, either technically or physically.
3) preferred style of midfielder? (Composed and creative technical type? Physically athletic box to box type? Strong enforcer?
One ball player, one physical (don't mind f they just sit back or if they can go to both boxes)
4) preferred style of play? (Quick transition on the ground? Patient dominant passing game? Direct route one and physical approach?
Dominant passing
5) preferred type of coach? (Passionate heart on sleeve fist pumper? Quiet methodical tactician? Strong no nonsense authoritarian? Balanced coach who doesnt allow emotions to show?
Fist pumper 100%

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:25 pm 

Couldn't care less how it is setup so long as we are winning more than we are losing. Winning games is the only thing that matters to me next season. If that then leads to promotion by playing route one Neanderthal style 1990's Wimbledon football then so be it. If it means winning games 1-0 over and over I will take it. The way we have been in the last twelve months not only would it bring confidence to the players who obviously have the stuffing knocked out of them (especially the ones left from two seasons ago) but also might bring some joy to the fans. We can then work out what the fuck the "MK way" is afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:13 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Couldn't care less how it is setup so long as we are winning more than we are losing. Winning games is the only thing that matters to me next season. If that then leads to promotion by playing route one Neanderthal style 1990's Wimbledon football then so be it. If it means winning games 1-0 over and over I will take it. The way we have been in the last twelve months not only would it bring confidence to the players who obviously have the stuffing knocked out of them (especially the ones left from two seasons ago) but also might bring some joy to the fans. We can then work out what the fuck the "MK way" is afterwards.

^this.

We need to get out at all costs. Ideally you want to do it the 'right' way but its looking such a mammoth task already that we just need to win however that looks like.

We have, at least over the last few seasons, always looked better with 5 at the back with three CB's and the wingbacks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:52 pm 

Russybcool wrote:

Whilst I tend to agree, if given the option of being promoted playing possession (with a purpose) style football or ugly, hoof it long style, I'd take the former all day long.

Changing style so drastically would mean a sustainable rebuild of the current squad and if we got promoted, would probably require another rebuild straight after. Orient won the league playing a possession based game, so there is no reason we have to change our philosophy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:53 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

Whilst I tend to agree, if given the option of being promoted playing possession (with a purpose) style football or ugly, hoof it long style, I'd take the former all day long.

Changing style so drastically would mean a sustainable rebuild of the current squad and if we got promoted, would probably require another rebuild straight after. Orient won the league playing a possession based game, so there is no reason we have to change our philosophy.

Having a new manager can change the style drastically. Very rarely you get two managers back to back playing identical styles. However, I wasn't saying we have to win ugly. Just win more than we lose. If that is winning ugly and archaic then so be it. We have come off the worst season in the near 20 years of MK Dons (I say that with no hyperbole. I genuinely can't think of a worse season on and off the pitch). Where we were two seasons ago compared to now is such a fall from grace beggars can't really be choosers.

Orient is a different beast. They have been on the up for years. That breeds confidence so that they can play from the back and keep possession cause they have the confidence to do so. We have been on a steady decline with the odd patch of decent stuff over the past 5 to 10 years. We need to go back to the start and then build from there. It is going to be ugly, but if this time next year we are back as a league 1 club then will anyone moan (answer: yes, but they shouldn't).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:12 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
We need to go back to the start and then build from there.

It is going to be ugly, but if this time next year we are back as a league 1 club then will anyone moan (answer: yes, but they shouldn't).

I think these two sentences contradict each other. On one hand you're suggesting going back to the start and building from the ground up, then in the other you seem to suggest that we must go straight back up whatever the consequences.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:13 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
We need to go back to the start and then build from there.

It is going to be ugly, but if this time next year we are back as a league 1 club then will anyone moan (answer: yes, but they shouldn't).

I think these two sentences contradict each other. On one hand you're suggesting going back to the start and building from the ground up, then in the other you seem to suggest that we must go straight back up whatever the consequences.

If it works will anyone moan about route one? The answer is they shouldn't, cause most people will be happy we have gone back up. I am under no illusions that this will be a much harder time in league 2 than it was last time we were here. A few will moan cause they have not been entertained and I do get that to a degree, but do we really have a capable squad to play out from the back at play the "sexy football" we all want? I would be ok with winning 10 games ugly by 1-0 than playing "sexy football" and ending up losing most of them cause the squad isn't capable or make mistakes cause the plan of playing it from the back isn't working.

Last edited by Russybcool on Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:22 pm 

Russybcool wrote:

If it works will anyone moan about route one? The answer is no, cause most people will be happy we have gone back up. I am under no illusions that this will be a much harder time in league 2 than it was last time we were here. A few will moan cause they have not been entertained and I do get that to a degree, but do we really have a capable squad to play out from the back? I would be ok with winning 10 games ugly by 1-0 than playing "attractive football" and ending up losing most of them cause the squad isn't capable or make mistakes cause the plan of playing it from the back isn't working.

I will.

Going back up is pointless if we don't fix the long-term issues and then struggle in L1, or heaven forbid come straight back down again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:31 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

If it works will anyone moan about route one? The answer is no, cause most people will be happy we have gone back up. I am under no illusions that this will be a much harder time in league 2 than it was last time we were here. A few will moan cause they have not been entertained and I do get that to a degree, but do we really have a capable squad to play out from the back? I would be ok with winning 10 games ugly by 1-0 than playing "attractive football" and ending up losing most of them cause the squad isn't capable or make mistakes cause the plan of playing it from the back isn't working.

I will.

Going back up is pointless if we don't fix the long-term issues and then struggle in L1, or heaven forbid come straight back down again.

But I thought the consensus was that is all we are good for. Bouncing around league 1 and 2 like we are Northampton Town albeit with a decent ground. I mean we struggled in league 1 last season (obviously we went down) trying to play football "the right way" whatever that is and I don't even know of a game I watched that I really enjoyed. I really can't. Not to say there wasn't I am sure Morecambe away was a hoot, but I wasn't there to see it. So who cares if we win ugly. Winning breeds confidence which then can be trained to be more skill based, but I think we need to walk again before we can run. That's all I am saying. Get us winning. Get the confidence. Then get the skills. Not trying to shoehorn skill in a team with no confidence cause if it goes wrong they will beat themselves up metaphorically and then they will be paranoid that everything they do will be scrutinised which will cause more panic and then more mistakes. Just my view not the gospel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:43 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
But I thought the consensus was that is all we are good for. Bouncing around league 1 and 2 like we are Northampton Town albeit with a decent ground. I mean we struggled in league 1 last season (obviously we went down) trying to play football "the right way" whatever that is and I don't even know of a game I watched that I really enjoyed. I really can't. Not to say there wasn't I am sure Morecambe away was a hoot, but I wasn't there to see it. So who cares if we win ugly. Winning breeds confidence which then can be trained to be more skill based, but I think we need to walk again before we can run. That's all I am saying. Get us winning. Get the confidence. Then get the skills. Not trying to shoehorn skill in a team with no confidence cause if it goes wrong they will beat themselves up metaphorically and then they will be paranoid that everything they do will be scrutinised which will cause more panic and then more mistakes. Just my view not the gospel.

This sounds like you want to play one particular way to get us back in League One, then change everything around completely once we get there.