THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Preferences
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:48 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
But I thought the consensus was that is all we are good for. Bouncing around league 1 and 2 like we are Northampton Town albeit with a decent ground. I mean we struggled in league 1 last season (obviously we went down) trying to play football "the right way" whatever that is and I don't even know of a game I watched that I really enjoyed. I really can't. Not to say there wasn't I am sure Morecambe away was a hoot, but I wasn't there to see it. So who cares if we win ugly. Winning breeds confidence which then can be trained to be more skill based, but I think we need to walk again before we can run. That's all I am saying. Get us winning. Get the confidence. Then get the skills. Not trying to shoehorn skill in a team with no confidence cause if it goes wrong they will beat themselves up metaphorically and then they will be paranoid that everything they do will be scrutinised which will cause more panic and then more mistakes. Just my view not the gospel.

This sounds like you want to play one particular way to get us back in League One, then change everything around completely once we get there.

Why not though? Almost certainly the majority of the squad will have to be changed between loanees, has-beens and natural process of contracts ending and L2 level players not being required for a L1 season.

FWIW, I dont think we can have a nailed on style for the season as a whole due to various factors but most predominately I think the condition of away pitches might require more direct routes more often. Pretty possession based footbal is great on bif, flat as a snooker table pitches but not so good on smaller and soft uneven grounds.

As much as I dislike it as a style, we encountered quite a lot of 'hit the top early and hussle' tactics last season and more often than not they worked, along side 'retreat to halfway, watch us pass backwards and sideways for 10 minutes and wait for the inevitable mistake'.

Its L2 and the mistake is more or less nailed on to be made, more so on a bumpy uneven pitch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:13 pm 

I just hope we don’t resort to 10 players packing our penalty box from the off. We do need to score goals to get promoted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:26 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
But I thought the consensus was that is all we are good for. Bouncing around league 1 and 2 like we are Northampton Town albeit with a decent ground. I mean we struggled in league 1 last season (obviously we went down) trying to play football "the right way" whatever that is and I don't even know of a game I watched that I really enjoyed. I really can't. Not to say there wasn't I am sure Morecambe away was a hoot, but I wasn't there to see it. So who cares if we win ugly. Winning breeds confidence which then can be trained to be more skill based, but I think we need to walk again before we can run. That's all I am saying. Get us winning. Get the confidence. Then get the skills. Not trying to shoehorn skill in a team with no confidence cause if it goes wrong they will beat themselves up metaphorically and then they will be paranoid that everything they do will be scrutinised which will cause more panic and then more mistakes. Just my view not the gospel.

This sounds like you want to play one particular way to get us back in League One, then change everything around completely once we get there.

Why not though? Almost certainly the majority of the squad will have to be changed between loanees, has-beens and natural process of contracts ending and L2 level players not being required for a L1 season.

FWIW, I dont think we can have a nailed on style for the season as a whole due to various factors but most predominately I think the condition of away pitches might require more direct routes more often. Pretty possession based footbal is great on bif, flat as a snooker table pitches but not so good on smaller and soft uneven grounds.

As much as I dislike it as a style, we encountered quite a lot of 'hit the top early and hussle' tactics last season and more often than not they worked, along side 'retreat to halfway, watch us pass backwards and sideways for 10 minutes and wait for the inevitable mistake'.

Its L2 and the mistake is more or less nailed on to be made, more so on a bumpy uneven pitch.

nothing worse than the passing sideways and backwards slowly in our own half before it ends up with the keeper who ends up volleying it up field anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:44 pm 

epdon wrote:
I just hope we don’t resort to 10 players packing our penalty box from the off. We do need to score goals to get promoted.

I've had a few :roll: but if we drew every game 0-0 could we possibly get autos?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:02 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
epdon wrote:

I've had a few :roll: but if we drew every game 0-0 could we possibly get autos?

That would get us 46 points, and a 0 goal difference. So last season that would have put us 21st, and one place, and two points, below AFC. So, no. :)

The question is *could* though, not would. In theory, we could do it if one or two teams beat everyone between them, and all other games between everyone ends in draws (scoring or non-scoring), and then everyone else except the one or two teams would end up on 44 or 45 points, and 46 points would be enough for the autos.

Otherwise, if every game for all teams ended 0-0, then it would depend on what the tie-breaker they'd used to separate everyone would be. Is it still a (series of) coin flip(s) in that situation?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:32 am 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Ok so just looking to guage the feelings of the tcr community about our style, personnel and philosophy next season and hopefullly it stems into debate and answers to the following on a postcard:

1) what would be your preferred formation? (3 or 4 at the back, 1 or 2 up top etc doesnt have to be exact)

3 4 2 1

2) preferred type of striker (big and athletic? Or more technical and creative? Or an out and out poacher fox in the box?

Of three up front a mixture, not the same, must be able to play as CF and AMCL/R. Confuse defenders and negate full backs

3) preferred style of midfielder? (Composed and creative technical type? Physically athletic box to box type? Strong enforcer?

Again a mix of combative break up playvstyle tempered with creativeness

4) preferred style of play? (Quick transition on the ground? Patient dominant passing game? Direct route one and physical approach?

Quick transition to both defence and attack, thats what the 4 offer you

5) preferred type of coach? (Passionate heart on sleeve fist pumper? Quiet methodical tactician? Strong no nonsense authoritarian? Balanced coach who doesnt allow emotions to show?

One with ability spot gaps / errors / opportunities quickly. Be a good communicator.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:51 am 

BristolDon wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
epdon wrote:

That would get us 46 points, and a 0 goal difference. So last season that would have put us 21st, and one place, and two points, below AFC. So, no. :)

The question is *could* though, not would. In theory, we could do it if one or two teams beat everyone between them, and all other games between everyone ends in draws (scoring or non-scoring), and then everyone else except the one or two teams would end up on 44 or 45 points, and 46 points would be enough for the autos.

Otherwise, if every game for all teams ended 0-0, then it would depend on what the tie-breaker they'd used to separate everyone would be. Is it still a (series of) coin flip(s) in that situation?

Sorry, Sheldon. I stand corrected. :)

Well done lads.
far out analysis.
It's all too complicated for me; I'll just stick to daft comments.....