THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alex Gilbey returns!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:31 pm 

That’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying in the state that we find ourselves in mentality wise, a player coming in that loves the club is a massive positive. You know what you’re going to get with him whereas with other players with no links it could go either way, we’ve all heard plenty of stories of players coming in and getting it, and the complete reverse. We won’t have that question with George, and the fact he’s a good player means that he won’t just be coming in as a mascot if he did sign on again.

And as a fan myself, I love the thought of ‘one of us’ playing for us. The vast majority of youth prospects have had other clubs, GW is a Dons fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:35 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
That’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying in the state that we find ourselves in mentality wise, a player coming in that loves the club is a massive positive. You know what you’re going to get with him whereas with other players with no links it could go either way, we’ve all heard plenty of stories of players coming in and getting it, and the complete reverse. We won’t have that question with George, and the fact he’s a good player means that he won’t just be coming in as a mascot if he did sign on again.

And as a fan myself, I love the thought of ‘one of us’ playing for us. The vast majority of youth prospects have had other clubs, GW is a Dons fan.

I honestly think it makes no difference. A player with a good mindset would be good whichever club he plays for. I’m not saying George doesn’t have a good mindset, I think he does. I’m just saying it’s because of him, not because of which team he supports. I’m sure he’s shown that playing for Cambridge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:44 pm 

Being a fan and having an understanding of what the fans want and know from big fixtures is a help.

You can't tell me a guy coming in with next to no knowledge of the game away to AFC Wimbledon is as big a benefit as one who knows it inside out?

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:48 pm 

Having a collection of players who have a 'connection' with the club- who are not just happy to play but actually FEEL something toward the club, management & structure (including fans) is more a matter of building a personality of a club. Developing a culture.

You can only imagine the impact Lewie would have on younger guys coming through the ranks into the first team. Add the likes of Gilbey & Williams & you develop a club culture that goes beyond an individual's performance.

I wonder, because of his past success here, if that is the appeal for Will Grigg to management- not just his playing ability, but a guy that has a connection.

It's different with a huge club, where an extra $50 million will buy loyalty etc. But when you are depending on a handful of young guys stepping up, and buying young players to develop from elsewhere- having them buy into a club culture is vital for cohesion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:51 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Being a fan and having an understanding of what the fans want and know from big fixtures is a help.

You can't tell me a guy coming in with next to no knowledge of the game away to AFC Wimbledon is as big a benefit as one who knows it inside out?

This comment made me excited to watch the Gilbey shit housing that will be inevitable vs AFC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:59 pm 

Alby39 wrote:

I don’t see it makes a difference. Good players are good players. In some ways I’d rather have players who are detached and not affected by the occasion.

I think it makes a difference to fans.

I don’t think Kevin DeBruyne is a Man City fan. He does a pretty good job.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:06 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

I don’t see it makes a difference. Good players are good players. In some ways I’d rather have players who are detached and not affected by the occasion.

I think it makes a difference to fans.

I don’t think Kevin DeBruyne is a Man City fan. He does a pretty good job.

Kevin de Bruyne doesn’t need to come into a mentally down dressing room with a team that’s just been relegated to the 4th division of English football. Completely irrelevant.

It’s not the most important thing in the world, of course it isn’t. But it’s definitely a help to bring in players that get it, that truly understand it and are leaders enough to push that onto the rest of the group. That’s the sort of thing Gilbey brings, GW is just another level on top of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:26 pm 

You're comparing apples and oranges for the sake of it and doing your against the grain argument again.

If I walked into a job at Arsenal tomorrow, I'd know what it means to the fans to win against Tottenham. Media exposure, world wide fanbases and known history is pretty evident. If I walked into a job at Barrow, I'd have to be taught in the importance of their rivalry with Carlisle.
Having people around me who could tell me what it means from local and personal connection, as well as being good at their job, would be a massive help. Having an office full of people who are just hired because they're good at their job - and you'd trust them to figure it out, is fine. But I'm saying experience and understanding helps. Massively.

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:43 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
You're comparing apples and oranges for the sake of it and doing your against the grain argument again.

If I walked into a job at Arsenal tomorrow, I'd know what it means to the fans to win against Tottenham. Media exposure, world wide fanbases and known history is pretty evident. If I walked into a job at Barrow, I'd have to be taught in the importance of their rivalry with Carlisle.
Having people around me who could tell me what it means from local and personal connection, as well as being good at their job, would be a massive help. Having an office full of people who are just hired because they're good at their job - and you'd trust them to figure it out, is fine. But I'm saying experience and understanding helps. Massively.

I think the emotional investment part matters much more to fans than to players. I don’t think a particular player would be better for us if he hates AFC Wimbledon than if he couldn’t give a shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:45 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

I think the emotional investment part matters much more to fans than to players. I don’t think a particular player would be better for us if he hates AFC Wimbledon than if he couldn’t give a shit.

17/18 was a group of players that didn’t get it against an entire club that did. They made us look silly.

20/21 there were no fans and yet our players truly understood the magnitude of the game. We made them look silly.

The players buying into it definitely helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next