THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alex Gilbey returns!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:06 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
You're comparing apples and oranges for the sake of it and doing your against the grain argument again.

If I walked into a job at Arsenal tomorrow, I'd know what it means to the fans to win against Tottenham. Media exposure, world wide fanbases and known history is pretty evident. If I walked into a job at Barrow, I'd have to be taught in the importance of their rivalry with Carlisle.
Having people around me who could tell me what it means from local and personal connection, as well as being good at their job, would be a massive help. Having an office full of people who are just hired because they're good at their job - and you'd trust them to figure it out, is fine. But I'm saying experience and understanding helps. Massively.

I think the emotional investment part matters much more to fans than to players. I don’t think a particular player would be better for us if he hates AFC Wimbledon than if he couldn’t give a shit.

17/18 was a group of players that didn’t get it against an entire club that did. They made us look silly.

20/21 there were no fans and yet our players truly understood the magnitude of the game. We made them look silly.

The players buying into it definitely helps.

Presumably their players also understood the magnitude of the game. Taken to its logical conclusion, it would always be a draw.

A season is much more than one game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:10 pm 

Dons50 football and community means domething to most people and players, most people arent a sociopath who has no grasp on the emotion of the game happy yk sit hand in hand with the opposition taking bites out of each others fruit pastille lolly (one for the rugby boys)

You can see how much it means for a player to represent his boyhood club, they will tell you so themselves. Whilst it doesnt mean they wouldnt perform equally well skillset wise for another random club there is an importance to a player getting the club, it being engrained in them and their willingness to go through brickwalls for it. Not only that but knowing the area, the community and people of milton keynes would not only help their integration and mental well being (an important factor in peak performance) but it would also help integrate other new players who arent local lads.

Having a core of people and players that are local and get the club is vital for any succesful club, unless of course youre just a galactico playing monopoly buying up all the property.

Not sure why that needs explaining d50 but maybe you are not just a forum personna hell bent on opposing the normal narrative maybe you really are a robot who has no understanding of social connection and society itsself.

Maybe you could do with a local lad showing you round and what it means to support a club.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:26 pm 

I literally cannot fathom that you seriously think having a better understanding of how a club operates, the nuances and quirks that make a club, and a connection to a club where you're loved as one of their own, isn't important.

It's important to players, otherwise the bloke wouldn't have been in our end against Wycombe starting chants for example. Same reason the Cambridge fans didn't hold it against him because they get it.

If George Williams was rubbish none of us would want him here. But we don't believe he is. We think he'd be a good asset. Being connected to the club, like Alex Gilbey is, and being a fans favourite/staunch protector if the club helps.
If we'd signed Gilbey having never played for us it's a good signing in itself - the fact he can come in, knows where to kick off and what the values of the club are, .
HELPS

The bloke is from Essex. Came through the ranks at Colchester and spent 3 seasons here and still considers this 'home'. The value in the package that he already cares and doesn't have to learn the ropes is a bonus. It isn't unimportant.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:51 pm 

Players being connected to a club or feeling connected to the town is a thing.

Graham Alexander actually lived here when working at Preston for years. You know what PW is like - I bet he lapped that up in the interview, he bleeds Milton Keynes. MK is a unique place and this football club is maligned and the fans know that and will feel a connection to any player - or manager - who comes in and "gets it".

Most players are mercenary. They play because it's their job and they want to play football and do as well as they can. But it is important to have a few personalities around who "get it". Jon Otsemobor said that before the Heel of God game he sat the first team squad down and ran them through a warts and all history of the club and made them understand why the game was important to the fans.

Nearly all former players who talk about our club do so in a positive light. It's a nice place to live, the club is run honestly and by a decent bloke (even if he is a hopeless idiot sometimes), the fans aren't up their own arses and the infrastructure is there to maximise your career in the football league. There are far worse places to ply your trade in the fourth division. Barrow, KFC, Grimsby, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:15 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
Players being connected to a club or feeling connected to the town is a thing.

Graham Alexander actually lived here when working at Preston for years. You know what PW is like - I bet he lapped that up in the interview, he bleeds Milton Keynes. MK is a unique place and this football club is maligned and the fans know that and will feel a connection to any player - or manager - who comes in and "gets it".

Most players are mercenary. They play because it's their job and they want to play football and do as well as they can. But it is important to have a few personalities around who "get it". Jon Otsemobor said that before the Heel of God game he sat the first team squad down and ran them through a warts and all history of the club and made them understand why the game was important to the fans.

Nearly all former players who talk about our club do so in a positive light. It's a nice place to live, the club is run honestly and by a decent bloke (even if he is a hopeless idiot sometimes), the fans aren't up their own arses and the infrastructure is there to maximise your career in the football league. There are far worse places to ply your trade in the fourth division. Barrow, KFC, Grimsby, etc.

A most excellent point dude.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:51 pm 

D50 why don't you just fuck off and watch Man City?

If you don't like the football that MK Dons are serving up, fuck off and watch someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:54 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
D50 why don't you just fuck off and watch Man City?

If you don't like the football that MK Dons are serving up, fuck off and watch someone else.

See you in TCR nick

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:37 am 

I think it is fairly naive to think that personal circumstances do not play a part in a player's performances but equally having an emotional connection to a side doesn't guarantee success either. A player's talent should be the main factor in their performances and success however non-footballing or personal elements will always play a part

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:31 am 

In D50s defence players can get over emotional too and the desire to win games & the team's dynamics are more important

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:38 am 

I see Sweeting still managed to sneak into the video the Dons put out about Gilbey signing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next