THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:17 pm 

Croydon wrote:
Pete Winkelman said he ticks all the right boxes. Just like Neilson, Tisdale, Ince, Manning, Allen, Di Matteo Robinson.......Oh dear.

Neilson - Saved us from relegation, albeit had a disastrous second season
Tisdale - Got us promoted
Ince - Got us promoted by winning the league and EFL trophy
Manning - 3rd place finish and one of our best seasons for years
Allen - Play offs
Di Matteo - Play offs
Robinson - Got us promoted with a record goal tally

I'd say PW has a pretty strong record.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:18 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Croydon wrote:
Pete Winkelman said he ticks all the right boxes. Just like Neilson, Tisdale, Ince, Manning, Allen, Di Matteo Robinson.......Oh dear.

All of them at one time or another did the job they were assigned to do.

Tisdale - promotion
Neilson - beat the drop
Robinson - promotion
Manning - improve us from midtable obscurity/previous relegation threatened team
Ince - promotion and got us a bonus cup trophy

Damn, you just beat me to it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:21 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Croydon wrote:

Tisdale - promotion
Neilson - beat the drop
Robinson - promotion
Manning - improve us from midtable obscurity/previous relegation threatened team

Damn, you just beat me to it!

Great minds :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:57 am 

Well Fan wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
Would suggest Well Fan looks at the positives and moves on. As expected there's always going to be one. I will take the negativity, pack it up in a imaginary box labelled 'whatever' and look forward to seeing what GA can do for us.

Not one, it's pretty universal that his methods and behaviour had a detrimental effect on our club by every fan. I did link to our forum with 30 pages of evidence. We were the same as you all 2.5 years ago, we looked at his pedigree and record and were enthused, we felt we had a bit of a coup. I mean a guy nearing 1,000 senior appearances and 900 as a manager is a wealth of experience.

I get some of you wish to be dismissive as I am raining on your parade, you have a new shiny toy and everyone in football looks for lines drawn in the sand and fresh starts. You have him because the last guy was bad, supporters tend to lose more managers to underperforming to breaking records and success, so I get any change is good. New guys has a fresh slate to cut out all the underperformers and bring in his guys. But to discount his most recent gig and lump it together with jobs he had 10 years ago seems to overlook the relevance of what I've tried to convey to you.

Temper enthusiasm, if his record with us was so "good" combined with his career stats etc. why has he been without a gig for a full season when there must have been about 70-100 roles became available in the UK since?

As I said I sincerely hope he's took a lot more from his time at my club and had learned how he engages with his players going forward. Of course I'll keep an eye on your scores from now and despite some assertions I have no desire to bump this thread if it all goes awry.

Why did it take Sean Dyche a year to get back into management? Maybe he wanted time off. Maybe he did apply and didn't get jobs. Who knows. I get what you are saying, but it is funny how no other fans from any of his former employers are slating him as much as you are. Football is an odd beast. it is the only job where the subordinates have more power than the manager. Look at Villa for that one. Downed tools and got Gerrard sacked who by alll accounts didnt have a clue, but the same players worked their arses off for Emery to the point they are in Europe for the first time in years. People work well with certain sets of players, but as I say our lot need a kick up the arse and if Alexander can do that then he is alright by me as we have IMO come off the worst season ever as MK Dons

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:18 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Croydon wrote:

Tisdale - promotion
Neilson - beat the drop
Robinson - promotion

Ince was the greatest manager we’ve ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:02 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Well Fan wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
Would suggest Well Fan looks at the positives and moves on. As expected there's always going to be one. I will take the negativity, pack it up in a imaginary box labelled 'whatever' and look forward to seeing what GA can do for us.

Not one, it's pretty universal that his methods and behaviour had a detrimental effect on our club by every fan. I did link to our forum with 30 pages of evidence. We were the same as you all 2.5 years ago, we looked at his pedigree and record and were enthused, we felt we had a bit of a coup. I mean a guy nearing 1,000 senior appearances and 900 as a manager is a wealth of experience.

I get some of you wish to be dismissive as I am raining on your parade, you have a new shiny toy and everyone in football looks for lines drawn in the sand and fresh starts. You have him because the last guy was bad, supporters tend to lose more managers to underperforming to breaking records and success, so I get any change is good. New guys has a fresh slate to cut out all the underperformers and bring in his guys. But to discount his most recent gig and lump it together with jobs he had 10 years ago seems to overlook the relevance of what I've tried to convey to you.

Temper enthusiasm, if his record with us was so "good" combined with his career stats etc. why has he been without a gig for a full season when there must have been about 70-100 roles became available in the UK since?

As I said I sincerely hope he's took a lot more from his time at my club and had learned how he engages with his players going forward. Of course I'll keep an eye on your scores from now and despite some assertions I have no desire to bump this thread if it all goes awry.

Why did it take Sean Dyche a year to get back into management? Maybe he wanted time off. Maybe he did apply and didn't get jobs. Who knows. I get what you are saying, but it is funny how no other fans from any of his former employers are slating him as much as you are. Football is an odd beast. it is the only job where the subordinates have more power than the manager. Look at Villa for that one. Downed tools and got Gerrard sacked who by alll accounts didnt have a clue, but the same players worked their arses off for Emery to the point they are in Europe for the first time in years. People work well with certain sets of players, but as I say our lot need a kick up the arse and if Alexander can do that then he is alright by me as we have IMO come off the worst season ever as MK Dons

To counter that I think Dyche is at a level where rather than 70-100 jobs in Alexander's wheelhouse, he would have only been interested in 5-10 due to his previous standing and record at the level he's managed.

If history repeats itself, due to the amount of games you play being a churn of 2 a week pretty much I'd say if the wheels come off it will be around Christmas to February. You may see an odd player dropped for no reason from mid October. You'll defend corners with nobody on the halfway line for a break or an out ball. If ahead, he'll invite balls down your wings and crosses and hope to deal with them. I hope none of your current defenders have a error in them per game as a few of ours did. A couple of players you have written off may look like world beaters under him and you'll reassess them staying. I don't know how much leeway he'll have in the transfer market but it was pretty much 4-3-3 crowbarring players into it rather than looking at whos in the building and what gets the best out of the current personnel.

I do genuinely hope that his year out has involved a lot of self retrospection and he won't repeat what he did with us. But he is stubborn and doesn't back down and has a tendency to alienate.

There are the different schools of thought on management, Fergie hairdryer, Klopp best friend, Big Sam pragmatic, Pep intense. Alexander tends to make players fear to make mistakes than come along on any crusade.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:58 am 

Well Fan wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Well Fan wrote:
Council Kev wrote:

To counter that I think Dyche is at a level where rather than 70-100 jobs in Alexander's wheelhouse, he would have only been interested in 5-10 due to his previous standing and record at the level he's managed.

If history repeats itself, due to the amount of games you play being a churn of 2 a week pretty much I'd say if the wheels come off it will be around Christmas to February. You may see an odd player dropped for no reason from mid October. You'll defend corners with nobody on the halfway line for a break or an out ball. If ahead, he'll invite balls down your wings and crosses and hope to deal with them. I hope none of your current defenders have a error in them per game as a few of ours did. A couple of players you have written off may look like world beaters under him and you'll reassess them staying. I don't know how much leeway he'll have in the transfer market but it was pretty much 4-3-3 crowbarring players into it rather than looking at whos in the building and what gets the best out of the current personnel.

I do genuinely hope that his year out has involved a lot of self retrospection and he won't repeat what he did with us. But he is stubborn and doesn't back down and has a tendency to alienate.

There are the different schools of thought on management, Fergie hairdryer, Klopp best friend, Big Sam pragmatic, Pep intense. Alexander tends to make players fear to make mistakes than come along on any crusade.

Alot of what you say is standard practice in English football, like having no one up top for corners and leeting the ball go out wide. There is also comprtition forb places as long as most players feel they have a chance, as long as players are in their natural position. The only concern I have is changing formations may bring some uncertaincy to the players, but on the whole I welcome it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:08 am 

Well Fan does speak and write well.

When LM got the Oxford job I text my Oxford mate and told him how I hope he enjoys his players not being fit and LM just got lucky with rolling into a job with a squad that the snake had assembled. I didn't mention the LM season was the best since our promotion season under KR.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 am 

To be fair to both Well Fan and us, we did exactly the same where Swansea fans are concerned, and were subsequently proven to be correct. However, the only player Alexander’s met so far is most probably Gilbey. To come on here and basically tell us that we’re fucked under him, when he’s only just through the door, is disingenuous and smacks of sour grapes.

He took Motherwell, a town I know well, to European qualification. Now I’m a follower of the SPFL, albeit only who Rangers are playing obviously, but that doesn't seem too bad. He’s spoken of highly by the rest of his former clubs, and there’s no need to re quote Neville here, but he’ll have to go some to be worse than what we endured last season.

It might work, it might not. We can only wait and see. But don’t forget this… it’s only a game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:16 am 

Gers wrote:
To be fair to both Well Fan and us, we did exactly the same where Swansea fans are concerned, and were subsequently proven to be correct. However, the only player Alexander’s met so far is most probably Gilbey. To come on here and basically tell us that we’re fucked under him, when he’s only just through the door, is disingenuous and smacks of sour grapes.

He took Motherwell, a town I know well, to European qualification. Now I’m a follower of the SPFL, albeit only who Rangers are playing obviously, but that doesn't seem too bad. He’s spoken of highly by the rest of his former clubs, and there’s no need to re quote Neville here, but he’ll have to go some to be worse than what we endured last season.

It might work, it might not. We can only wait and see. But don’t forget this… it’s only a game.

I suggested you may wish to temper your optimism as we used the same rationale (pedigree, experience, perception, CV, Salford/Neville, no nonsense arse kicker) when he was appointed. I mean I don't know how you can interpret groups of senior players seeking to speak to a CEO/Chairman on the fly and express concerns and training being described as "a joke" as anything other than toxic.

I said I have no invested schadenfreude if it goes tits up and I'm also not telling you you're fucked, I genuinely hope he's learned from it. Just he fucked us, that's his most recent gig and if you look at his UEFA qualification in isolation then it reeks of head burying. I do think you'll get a bounce but it's if history repeats itself and I've given you the timeline then you were warned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next