THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:07 am 

Hi,

We seen you appointed GA and wanted to give you an honest view of his time with us. This isn't done out of malice but to maybe temper any expectations.

He arrived in the New Year with a good pedigree and us sitting joint bottom after a derby defeat. Our previous manager ran out of ideas and decided to walk to the regret of the board probably about 70% of our support. We'd qualified for Europe and on paper we shouldn't have been in the mess we were but nothing seemed to click. Players who were outstanding only months before were inept combined with a pretty bad injury list.

So Alexander and Lucketti arrived to steady the ship with the task number 1 being survival. Over the next few months he did that. Our football was not pretty but we didn't care, we just wanted survival. He got a couple of players into the great form and when the dust settled we had a pretty substantial points haul.

Let him get his summer transfer window now we have safety, we were all enthused. Some purchases were made were we changed our policy of going for journeymen on 1 year free contracts to securing guys on longer deals we could potentially resell.

So 2021-22 started and we were getting results but it was chronic to watch. When we did venture up the park, we were scoring from our 1 or 2 shots on target in the whole game and then piled on a defender or two and rode it out. It does nothing for your blood pressure to see cross being lumped in again and again especially when you have a few central defenders prone to a error.

With the benefit of hindsight we should have noticed things were not rosy earlier than we did. In the runup to Christmas there were odd line up selections, players without fault dropped, that is when there were the first grumblings via friends and family of players as to his management style.

He's very autocratic, has favourites, football will go to die under him in the sole pursuit of points. Now the last one can have its merits, but it was eye bleeding stuff, often the way we set ourselves up boggled any conventional wisdom.

For the calendar year Alexander had the highest points tally outside Celtic and Rangers. While the numbers were impressive the nature that we acquired them was not. However he was offered a contract extension and pretty much nobody grumbled.

Pretty much from this contract extension our form nose dived, we lost our most influential player but crazy team selections from one week to the next, throwing on all sorts of mad subs, which we collectively called "the tombola". It was evident a number of players had downed tools. He alienated the club captain and punished him in to a bit part player.

So from Boxing day till our league splits we only got 9 points from a possible 42. What helped us was the rest of the league were awful with everyone taking points off each other so we hobbled into the top 6 with a last minute header and then actually looked decent in a couple of games to secure 5th and European football again.

A few thought he should have got punted because of the chronic run and how we nearly missed out from a good position at the turn of the year. The board felt he earned the right to see what he could do in 2022/23 and maybe 70% of the fans gave him a reprieve up from 40% a few weeks before.

We played Sligo Rovers, we were unprepared and humiliated by guys playing at a lower standard. Alexander approached the Chairman and both he and his assistant walked.

Things have came to light since as they always do. First the club captain and GA fell out because Alexander told him to convey his plans to the players and the captain said he was uneasy about doing so and they made no tactical sense. He said he couldn't relay them if he didn't believe they had merit and the right way forward. He fell out with a number hence their sudden dropping and was rumoured to just go in the huff with players for no reason. They were all afraid of him and there was a toxic atmosphere in the dressing room. A few on longer deals pushed to move on to get away from him. He never engaged with the youth players and was seen as aggressive and a bit mental.

The board hoped his on paper record would attract someone else and they'd look to secure him, pay compensation and everyone is a winner. It seems they withheld his transfer budget last summer because of this favouring to give it to the new guy. As it turned out nobody came in for him and we were starting at a disadvantage.

I'd say there is universal disapproval of GA among our support and almost to a man feel he left the club with issues it will take a little while to remedy.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:43 am 
Well Fan wrote:
He alienated the club captain and punished him in to a bit part player.

What is it with Scottish Premiership managers and alienating club captains :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:31 am 

I can only assume he ran over your pet or something similar :lol:
How much do you have to dislike a guy that a year after he left you follow what job he gets and then sign up to a fans forum to post that character assassination?
Anyway lucky you did......
Alexander OUT! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:12 am 

The case for the defence m'lud.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... t-new-boss

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:10 am 

Any negativity is just water off a duck's arsehole. Whether that be mischief from a Toot, Loot or any other source.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:31 am 

He sounds like Tisdale. Ugly football but L1 here we come...

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:35 am 

Not sure why we think that we have to play ugly to get promotion.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:39 am 

dons50 wrote:
Not sure why we think that we have to play ugly to get promotion.

I loved that promotion season under Ince. There was some great football.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:40 am 

At this level, the shittest level, he's perfect for us. Going forward, who knows.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:52 am 

Sounds just the man to put Sweeting back in his box.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next