THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Next Head Coach
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:26 pm 

https://twitter.com/lowerleaguelook/sta ... 4tHtSLah6g

Quote:
#MKDons are set to unveil Graham Alexander as their new manager.

This JUST got interesting.

Post subject: Re: Next Head Coach
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:32 pm 

I think if Salford had stuck with him they would be in Lge 1 now, imo.
Because he was at salford i think he will want to keep it on the ground.[/quote]
A bit of an insight from someone that would have seen a GA team more recently than me.[/quote]I think if Salford had stuck with him they would be in Lge 1 now, imo.
Because he was at salford i think he will want to keep it on the ground.

This from a Stockport fan
"I don’t think so. His football with them was so dull by the end. They passed it but lots of sideways and back and you’d expect with the money spent on the squad.

Started really well at Motherwell but ended on a run of 5 wins in 23 that got him the sack.

He’s not a bad manager/tactician but it seems players lose interest after a while".

Seems plausible

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:35 pm 

Alexander IN.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:58 pm 

I’ve never seen that account before. Is it reliable?

Quite happy if it’s true. Appleton would have been my first choice but Alexander’s win ratio is impressive especially given the number of games he has managed. I don’t know anything about his style or his previous teams but Salford fans seem to rate him.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:04 pm 

Just to add in the realEFL story it says he is already working on summer recruitment. Welcome news if true!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:30 pm 
Could be a lot worse I suppose.

Doesn't really excite me but I accept we're a L2 club now, we weren't going to get Pep.

If the criteria for the shortlist was "get me someone that knows how to get us at the right end of L2" then he'd probably be on the list. Definitely a Paul Tisdale-type appointment in terms of ability.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:34 pm 

I do feel this is a sensible approach that'll:
1. Get good transfers in for this level. He has a track record, players know what they'll get with him.

2. Was playing football not too long ago so can relate to the players.

3. Knows the division. Knows what almost every game will entail.

4. Plays a decent enough brand of football. From what I remember of Scunthorpe the year they relegated us with Ivan Toney up front, they ripped us apart that game especially and had played a pretty forward thinking style. Though I could be wrong.

5. A League Two owner expresses regret over sacking him. Wouldn't be saying that openly if there were no key signs of potential upturn etc. Salford were moving too quickly for their own like and got rid of a good coach at the level.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:41 pm 
Alby39 wrote:
1. Get good transfers in for this level. He has a track record, players know what they'll get with him.

4. Plays a decent enough brand of football. From what I remember of Scunthorpe the year they relegated us with Ivan Toney up front, they ripped us apart that game especially and had played a pretty forward thinking style. Though I could be wrong.

5. A League Two owner expresses regret over sacking him. Wouldn't be saying that openly if there were no key signs of potential upturn etc. Salford were moving too quickly for their own like and got rid of a good coach at the level.

Definitely a safe appointment from Pete's point of view, he's covered himself for any eventuality. Fans can't say he's appointed someone inexperienced like Jacko if it goes tits up.

There's a chance though Alexander's only sought out the job to prevent Lewie from overtaking him in 3rd place for all time EFL appearances. Lewie is 39 appearances behind him in 6th.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:30 am 

The other thing Alexander brings is almost unmatched experience playing in the Football League. He played until he was almost 41 (!!).

Anyone making it past 35 in professional football is doing something right, 38 and over for an outfield player is remarkable and only possible if you seriously look after yourself. I’ve said it before but our fitness was not good enough last year and hopefully he has a few tricks up his sleeve.

He’s a solid and reliable coach who probably has a lot of professional relationships in the league so it’ll be interesting to see who we recruit on the playing side. A known, trusted head coach is also a good omen for getting a couple of decent loanees.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:56 am 

Filth wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Definitely a safe appointment from Pete's point of view, he's covered himself for any eventuality. Fans can't say he's appointed someone inexperienced like Jacko if it goes tits up.

There's a chance though Alexander's only sought out the job to prevent Lewie from overtaking him in 3rd place for all time EFL appearances. Lewie is 39 appearances behind him in 6th.

I hope you're joking because I seriously don't think anyone gives a shit. If anything I think they back each other to beat those records.
I think Wayne Rooney was backing Kane to beat his record for England. Likewise, Lineker certainly was thrilled for Rooney.

But I know you're taking the mick.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next