THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:18 am 

Camdenite wrote:

Simple reason is that they've been able to reinvest players sales (most significantly a combined £10M for for Justin and Stacey) into new recruits and incrementally increasing their wage cap while we have primarily serviced the debt with our biggets sales.

It's not just the playing side that they've invested in. When you see the figures that we employ 30 non-playing football staff, you may think "well, that sounds reasonable. what's normal for a club of our size?" then you see that Luton employ 90! That's what it takes to have a proper football scouting network and the support staff behind the scenes to make it worthwhile. We simply can't do that, and have never even been close to making it a priority.

There's plenty of other factors too, such as the broad range of skills on their board. Yes, as reported repeatedly, they're all fans but they've all made money in business and (crucially) understand the football industry. They're not short of a few bob either (David Wilkinson est £25M worth). We don't posess those skillsets on the board, and furthermore we run it like a cottage industry with some of our appointments. What was Bobby W doing as a scout, and why is John Cove's son responsible for youth recruitment now? - show me their credentials and I'll accept they're the right people, but until then it stinks! Why was Izale on the coaching staff, even if it was just the kids? How did Bowds get to be in the commercial dept.? It points to cutting corners and not making clear decisions about what's best for the Football Club. I've heard it said by a few outsiders, including new managers, "what a lovely, welcoming family club". Well it shouldn't be! 20 years now and we should have professionals doing jobs, not "promoting from within" all the time.

It's tough to say it as I, like many of you, know people around the club, but you have to ask, are they the best people we could employ doing that job?

This is one the best expositions of our structural disfunctioning I’ve read on this forum.

Last edited by Pseudonym on Sun May 28, 2023 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:21 am 

I get the feeling we don't hire proper professionals for those jobs because they're considered too expensive.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:17 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Filth wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:
I'll be totally honest here, I really don't like them. I was cheering on Coventry like I was a lifelong fan. I really don't enjoy seeing them do well.

But credit where it's due, they know how to run a football club. Their story over the last decade or so is remarkable. They deserve to enjoy this moment, because it truly is special. The thing that frustrates me most is the amount of people jumping on the bandwagon today. I'm in Bedford, so maybe it's more noticeable here. I know plenty of die hard Luton fans who were there in the dark days of the national league. Today is their moment, not for those who want to get involved now the big boys are coming to town.

This. For a club that (probably) had a similar budget and infrastructure to us whilst they were in L1, they've shown how to do it properly without cutting corners.

I agree... but it would be worthwhile PW and the board analysing HOW they've done it. Sure, they have several investors but none are super rich. And they don't have the enabling infrastructure that MKD have. If what they have done over the last few years is replicable, we ought to be considering whether it's applicable to us as an operating model.

Simple reason is that they've been able to reinvest players sales (most significantly a combined £10M for for Justin and Stacey) into new recruits and incrementally increasing their wage cap while we have primarily serviced the debt with our biggets sales.

It's not just the playing side that they've invested in. When you see the figures that we employ 30 non-playing football staff, you may think "well, that sounds reasonable. what's normal for a club of our size?" then you see that Luton employ 90! That's what it takes to have a proper football scouting network and the support staff behind the scenes to make it worthwhile. We simply can't do that, and have never even been close to making it a priority.

There's plenty of other factors too, such as the broad range of skills on their board. Yes, as reported repeatedly, they're all fans but they've all made money in business and (crucially) understand the football industry. They're not short of a few bob either (David Wilkinson est £25M worth). We don't posess those skillsets on the board, and furthermore we run it like a cottage industry with some of our appointments. What was Bobby W doing as a scout, and why is John Cove's son responsible for youth recruitment now? - show me their credentials and I'll accept they're the right people, but until then it stinks! Why was Izale on the coaching staff, even if it was just the kids? How did Bowds get to be in the commercial dept.? It points to cutting corners and not making clear decisions about what's best for the Football Club. I've heard it said by a few outsiders, including new managers, "what a lovely, welcoming family club". Well it shouldn't be! 20 years now and we should have professionals doing jobs, not "promoting from within" all the time.

It's tough to say it as I, like many of you, know people around the club, but you have to ask, are they the best people we could employ doing that job?

Another thing, as I touched on in a previous post on this thread, is the fire in the bellies of that Luton board to overturn a perceived miscarriage of justice (the -30 points). For their age group, they see the Prememier League as their rightful place. Most of them grew up on watching the big boys come to town and get humbled. You can't underestimate, what a level of motivation that gives. meanwhile we have the club twitter completely mis-timing a tweet "A new era begins" just as Coventry are missing that penalty. Too right it does! An era when no 10 year old east of Newport Pagnell or south of Little Brickhill has any reason to follow our club!

Failure to read the room, but pales into insignificance with mkfm congratulating Luton on their promotion! FFS! a club owned radio station that operates from s:mk congratulating them. Some will think "why the fuss, there's Luton fans in MK. they serve everyone". Just ask yourself if the roles were reversed would that ever happen? Not a chance! Similalrly, LTFC's refusal to do business with us. Petty, childish, but a clear defined line in the sand. We have a situation where our chairman hasn't even come out and publicly said "Actually,we're not interested in hosting Luton next season". So what if they've never asked or haven't even considered it. Gary Sweet wouldn't miss a chance to have a dig. Neither should you.

All the recruitment etc is underpinned by Mick Harford. A proper football man, where's the MK equivalent? All clubs use data now , but you can have all the data on a player you want but in these leagues it's more than that, it's heart and character and durability, the one thing Luton have got, they are All in it together

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:17 pm 

Our version of Hartford could be Lewie. He has mentioned he would like a back office type role. I sincerely hope we tell Luton to F Off IF they ask to use our ground. I loathe them. I live very near that cesspit of humanity. I respect that they have climbed through the leagues and their fan base have remained loyal. However i cannot abide their faux outrage at the ‘Pete tried to steal our club’. Also our pitch would be ruined with potentially three games in a week. A bitter, emotional and probably baseless view but I don’t care.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:24 pm 

Luton will have to do a bit more than lumping it long next season.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:29 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Filth wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:
I'll be totally honest here, I really don't like them. I was cheering on Coventry like I was a lifelong fan. I really don't enjoy seeing them do well.

But credit where it's due, they know how to run a football club. Their story over the last decade or so is remarkable. They deserve to enjoy this moment, because it truly is special. The thing that frustrates me most is the amount of people jumping on the bandwagon today. I'm in Bedford, so maybe it's more noticeable here. I know plenty of die hard Luton fans who were there in the dark days of the national league. Today is their moment, not for those who want to get involved now the big boys are coming to town.

This. For a club that (probably) had a similar budget and infrastructure to us whilst they were in L1, they've shown how to do it properly without cutting corners.

I agree... but it would be worthwhile PW and the board analysing HOW they've done it. Sure, they have several investors but none are super rich. And they don't have the enabling infrastructure that MKD have. If what they have done over the last few years is replicable, we ought to be considering whether it's applicable to us as an operating model.

Another thing, as I touched on in a previous post on this thread, is the fire in the bellies of that Luton board to overturn a perceived miscarriage of justice (the -30 points). For their age group, they see the Prememier League as their rightful place. Most of them grew up on watching the big boys come to town and get humbled. You can't underestimate, what a level of motivation that gives. meanwhile we have the club twitter completely mis-timing a tweet "A new era begins" just as Coventry are missing that penalty. Too right it does! An era when no 10 year old east of Newport Pagnell or south of Little Brickhill has any reason to follow our club!

Failure to read the room, but pales into insignificance with mkfm congratulating Luton on their promotion! FFS! a club owned radio station that operates from s:mk congratulating them. Some will think "why the fuss, there's Luton fans in MK. they serve everyone". Just ask yourself if the roles were reversed would that ever happen? Not a chance! Similalrly, LTFC's refusal to do business with us. Petty, childish, but a clear defined line in the sand. We have a situation where our chairman hasn't even come out and publicly said "Actually,we're not interested in hosting Luton next season". So what if they've never asked or haven't even considered it. Gary Sweet wouldn't miss a chance to have a dig. Neither should you.

Seeing the news right now. how many people have come out in the town to see their bus parade ,shows what the club means to the town. ,how many would turn out for a Mk Dons bus parade ?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:31 pm 

Zeberdee wrote:
Seeing the news right now. how many people have come out in the town to see their bus parade ,shows what the club means to the town. ,how many would turn out for a Mk Dons bus parade ?

Not many - hence why the 2015 promotion celebration was in Middleton Hall rather than out on the streets. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:56 pm 

Zeberdee wrote:
Camdenite wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Filth wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

At least a bus full in my opinion so unsure what the issue is. Anything on the streets would only cause gridlock and inconvenience to the tourists/shoppers.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:24 pm 

Just stop oil would probably stop our bus.

Pete would be waving his arms and getting all cross.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:38 pm 
midfielder wrote:
Just stop oil would probably stop our bus.

Pete would be waving his arms and getting all cross.

"...put it back in the fackin' bottle?!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10