THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:42 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
voxish wrote:
Pretty sure both clubs will rise above the childishness of a small proportion of their respective fanbase.

This is comically naive.

Have you forgotten when Luton gave Danny Green the money to pay up his contract with us, so that they didn't have to deal with us direct?

This.

I played golf with Luton’s Chairman last year. When I told him I was a Dons fan I thought he was going to vomit! Very frosty. Real enmity there…

Childish pr*ck. If that's what defines his life.....dear gawd.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:28 am 

Aliramone wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
voxish wrote:
Pretty sure both clubs will rise above the childishness of a small proportion of their respective fanbase.

This is comically naive.

Have you forgotten when Luton gave Danny Green the money to pay up his contract with us, so that they didn't have to deal with us direct?

This.

I played golf with Luton’s Chairman last year. When I told him I was a Dons fan I thought he was going to vomit! Very frosty. Real enmity there…

Of course it’s childish, but it does hint at the reasons why they’re currently where they are and why we’re where we find ourselves.

There’s an often used phrase in respect of football rivalries of “we define you”. That’s certainly true of Luton and Watford. The last fifteen years from a Luton perspective has been solely about achieving parity once again with Watford. Once that was achieved, then a huge part of what’s driven them this last couple of seasons is outperforming their South Herts neighbours. I think that’s true of every club. There’s a yardstick for your own performance out there and clubs will use it to measure their own success almost as much a a trophies and promotions. What Luton have is also the FA imposing their 30 point deduction and allowing a club to uproot from South London to what they perceive as their “doorstep”. That’s also been a massive factor in the rise. They came out swinging at what they feel is the injustice of it all. That’s certainly true of AFCW too. We can argue about the why’s and wherefore’s of the move, but ultimately it’s been their driver.

Where do we fit in to all this, you ask?

Well, we don’t, and that’s a huge part of our problem. There’s nothing driving those in control of the club’s fortunes (from Pete right down to the staff in the ticket office) to do better other than climb the leagues for the financial benefit. No perceived “wrong” from the footballing authorities to right, no “noisy neighbours” to put in their place, not even any serial underachievers to laugh at. The AFC thing isn’t really that rivalry. Sure, we can get excited for it when it comes around, but there’s very few of us that will work alongside AFC fans, or regularly go into pubs where they drink etc. that’s what real football rivalries are made of; factory floor insults and office banter, not a funny meme on Twitter.

Fair play to Luton. I’m sure they’ll do it, probably because that’s the narrative of that club. They’ll be in trouble and sliding down the leagues again one day. That’s the way it’s always been with them. In the last sixty five years they’ve gone from 1st division to 4th division and back to 1st in just over two decades, spent a further decade in the sun winning trophies at Wembley achieving division 1 top six finishes, and then slid out of the football league in a shambolic financial state only to rise again. I’d be stunned if that doesn’t happen to them again!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:36 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
voxish wrote:

This is comically naive.

This.

Of course it’s childish, but it does hint at the reasons why they’re currently where they are and why we’re where we find ourselves.

There’s an often used phrase in respect of football rivalries of “we define you”. That’s certainly true of Luton and Watford. The last fifteen years from a Luton perspective has been solely about achieving parity once again with Watford. Once that was achieved, then a huge part of what’s driven them this last couple of seasons is outperforming their South Herts neighbours. I think that’s true of every club. There’s a yardstick for your own performance out there and clubs will use it to measure their own success almost as much a a trophies and promotions. What Luton have is also the FA imposing their 30 point deduction and allowing a club to uproot from South London to what they perceive as their “doorstep”. That’s also been a massive factor in the rise. They came out swinging at what they feel is the injustice of it all. That’s certainly true of AFCW too. We can argue about the why’s and wherefore’s of the move, but ultimately it’s been their driver.

Where do we fit in to all this, you ask?

Well, we don’t, and that’s a huge part of our problem. There’s nothing driving those in control of the club’s fortunes (from Pete right down to the staff in the ticket office) to do better other than climb the leagues for the financial benefit. No perceived “wrong” from the footballing authorities to right, no “noisy neighbours” to put in their place, not even any serial underachievers to laugh at. The AFC thing isn’t really that rivalry. Sure, we can get excited for it when it comes around, but there’s very few of us that will work alongside AFC fans, or regularly go into pubs where they drink etc. that’s what real football rivalries are made of; factory floor insults and office banter, not a funny meme on Twitter.

Fair play to Luton. I’m sure they’ll do it, probably because that’s the narrative of that club. They’ll be in trouble and sliding down the leagues again one day. That’s the way it’s always been with them. In the last sixty five years they’ve gone from 1st division to 4th division and back to 1st in just over two decades, spent a further decade in the sun winning trophies at Wembley achieving division 1 top six finishes, and then slid out of the football league in a shambolic financial state only to rise again. I’d be stunned if that doesn’t happen to them again!

Well if it is, or rather was, 'business' (fears of people flocking to MK) I can understand it - but it's pathetic 'cod' venom from them (Luton) most of the time for lies their supporters don't want to understand.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:29 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Well if it is, or rather was, 'business' (fears of people flocking to MK) I can understand it - but it's pathetic 'cod' venom from them (Luton) most of the time for lies their supporters don't want to understand.

A significant number of them seem to think tht Pete had something to do with the proposed 1980's move to MK. That's right, the one before he even lived in MK and that it was their board that pushed for!

Ever since there's been a general dislike and distrust of anything associated with Milton Keynes on their forums and social media etc. and that's irrespectve of the football team!

Take yesterday at Wembley for instance. In Box Park supporting NPTFC there was a significant number of Dons fans, but probably similar numbers of Luton and even Northampton.

Anyway, it's the usual Box Park pre-match thing with Banging Choons and pop hits that have since had a second life as terrace anthems and the sort of MKFM/Butlins redcoat DJ that you always get. Announcement goes out to "Little Timmy who's part of the MK Dons SET and is celebrating his 9th birthday" Some cheers from his family, but a lot of booing from all corners of the room. That's what we're dealing with North and South. Not a chance they'd tolerate moving into our ground.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:50 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

Quote:
A significant number of them seem to think tht Pete had something to do with the proposed 1980's move to MK. That's right, the one before he even lived in MK and that it was their board that pushed for!

Quote:
Not a chance they'd tolerate moving into our ground

Exactly what I meant Mr C!

And I, needless to say, would not want to tolerate them moving here.
It looks academic now thank gawd.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:57 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
It’s Luton. They’ll get mugged in the final anyway, there’s no surer bet.

?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:59 pm 
Why are so many on Twitter claiming playing at Stadium MK is a realistic option?

Is there any concrete statement to say this definitely won't happen? Or are those saying it won't happen just saying that because "it's Luton innit"?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:01 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
paul4040 wrote:
It’s Luton. They’ll get mugged in the final anyway, there’s no surer bet.

?

This is why I don’t gamble.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:10 pm 

Congratulations to Luton Town, a great football club with great people and a chance to watch top quality football on our doorstep.

- Dons50

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:23 pm 

Scum. wrote:
Congratulations to Luton Town, a great football club with great people and a chance to watch top quality football on our doorstep.

- Dons50

I doubt there will be many tickets available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next