THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:43 pm 

yesterday i got an invite from a family member to go to brentfords game vs west ham. the matchday experience inside and outside the ground was fantastic i know they are a different level to us but we could learn a lot from them they have worked there way up from league two . mind you they were helped by having a millionaire owner who was also a fan of the club. but they worked with a long term plan and they are doing it with a 17000 capacity stadium they are the sort of team we should use as a bench mark if we progress from now on season by season the crowds will grow here. what do you all think.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:22 pm 

That's the model we were trying to folllow. I suspect 99% of the clubs outside of the Premier League want to follow Brentford's path too.

The most important thing you have mentioned is their ability to invest. They paid £5mil for a League One player. We're years away from ever being able to do that, even if we had of been promoted last season.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:58 pm 

They're admirable, a far cry from the club that regularly embarrassed us in League One... I think we've tried to emulate them the best we can for a few years but in our own kinda way.... but, it's not easily replicated

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:07 pm 

What Brentford have achieved is remarkable and testament to a chairman who has invested well and created a innovative business model.

There are two things though, the model is relatively high risk and on the way up must be really challenging to maintain. Brentford are in a slightly different position now where the money from the TV deals is far more stabilising and should one or two of their marquee players jump ship or ahem... get a long term ban for breaking FA rules, then the threat of relegation is not quite as damaging.

The other thing is the 17000 capacity stadium. I dont know if they own it or not.

I sometimes think that our fans dont really appreciate how big our rented place is. If we were to pull a 17000 crowd regularly, the place would still be half empty! Our rented ground is far too big for us and in all likelihood, in my lifetime we will never regularly fill it. We are a small club who flatters to deceive by playing in a big stadium.

During the pandemic, there was some sort of study done regarding crowd sizes and the net result at the time was that it was only really the emirates and old trafford where the match day revenue was significant enough to be a determining factor for a club. I would imagine white hart lane would be in that list now and probably Anfield next season. For most other clubs, the cost of owning, maintaining and running were shown to be either greater or not significantly less than the incoming revenue (stadium alone)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:59 pm 

Hugo wrote:
yesterday i got an invite from a family member to go to brentfords game vs west ham. the matchday experience inside and outside the ground was fantastic i know they are a different level to us but we could learn a lot from them they have worked there way up from league two . mind you they were helped by having a millionaire owner who was also a fan of the club. but they worked with a long term plan and they are doing it with a 17000 capacity stadium they are the sort of team we should use as a bench mark if we progress from now on season by season the crowds will grow here. what do you all think.

Can you elaborate on why it was so good ?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:45 pm 

Their stadium is exactly what Pete should have done. Something modern and spacious without being ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:10 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
Their stadium is exactly what Pete should have done. Something modern and spacious without being ridiculous.

He wouldn’t have got that funded.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:13 pm 
dons50 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

He wouldn’t have got that funded.

Correct, the council only approved him for modern, un-spacious and ridiculous.