THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Dan Kemp Situation
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:34 am 

I don't particularly rate him, this whenever he appeared for us he looked minimal in his effectiveness... ran around a lot to his credit, but didn't offer much else. Could be argued he lacked sufficient game time but whether he warranted it is another question.

What is another matter, is the fact he turned into a L2 relegation battling Scott Twine. Scored set pieces, brilliant with his feet and scored big goals at crucial times. It wasn't enough to keep Hartlepool up but he did his bit.

He's on our books for another season. Do we cash in when there may be suitors and get the best of what we can get for am asset? Or do we give him a chance? Begs the question if he was say contracted to Hartlepool, had this half a season and they got relegated and he was released, would we as fans be all over us signing him because of his record? Probably...

Worth a shot? Whats there to lose?

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:38 am 

We definitely give him a chance. At least until later on in the window.

His team may have got relegated but he was a real bright spark in the second half of the season and scored some excellent goals against some good teams. If he comes back and asks to leave, or comes back and just doesn't fit in properly, then we should cut ties and he'd hopefully have some suitors, but for now it's definitely worth keeping him around and hopefully his time in league 2 can push him on in a way that benefits us.

It's worth remembering that Twine was pretty hopeless until a loan spell or two... if Kemp can do even half of what he did then we'll be very happy.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:45 am 

I am not convinced he is under contract, nothing has ever been said to my knowledge on contract length and typically a free transfer in the Jam window would be on an 18 month deal which will now be expiring.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:46 am 

Alby39 wrote:
I don't particularly rate him, this whenever he appeared for us he looked minimal in his effectiveness... ran around a lot to his credit, but didn't offer much else. Could be argued he lacked sufficient game time but whether he warranted it is another question.

What is another matter, is the fact he turned into a L2 relegation battling Scott Twine. Scored set pieces, brilliant with his feet and scored big goals at crucial times. It wasn't enough to keep Hartlepool up but he did his bit.

He's on our books for another season. Do we cash in when there may be suitors and get the best of what we can get for am asset? Or do we give him a chance? Begs the question if he was say contracted to Hartlepool, had this half a season and they got relegated and he was released, would we as fans be all over us signing him because of his record? Probably...

Worth a shot? Whats there to lose?

The good news is he showed he was capable of being a star man in league 2. If we keep him hopefully we can replicate that form. Goals from midfield/wide are always needed in a promotion team. There might be a fair bit of interest in him possible even from higher up the pyramid.

Now the miserable git in me thinks his recent form might have been an extreme purple patch (similar to Lingard for West Ham last season) and that surely he will not maintain that level of performance. I think if we get a decent offer for him from further up the pyramid we should sell and use the funds to get one of the new managers key targets. If we get an offer from a league 2 club I’m not sure what to do.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:01 am 

Never rated him in League one, and if we had stayed up I'm sure we'd be cashing in.

But providing he is under contract I think he has to be worth a go in League two? Even if his goals and assists for Hartlepool turn out to be a one off, I'd rather we gave him a proper run out first. Which in his defense, I'm not sure he has ever had since joining.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:08 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
I am not convinced he is under contract, nothing has ever been said to my knowledge on contract length and typically a free transfer in the Jam window would be on an 18 month deal which will now be expiring.

I'm lead to believe he is entering his final year

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:20 am 

I think he could just be one of those players where it just doesn't work out for him here. Regardless of his form at Hartlepool, I'm just not sure he'd have the same impact with us.

Saying that, I never thought he was terrible and did think he deserved more of a chance. If he's under contract, hopefully it's someone the new manager takes a good look at during pre-season, rather than us getting rid straight away.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:55 am 
IF he's under contract (nobody knows for certain) then it would be silly not to give him a chance. Might not cut it at L1 level but if we were in L2 last season and saw him performing like that for a poor team like Hartlepool then we'd all have been happy to sign him at this level.

We won't most likely have Eisa next season, or Johnson, so to have a proper free-kick taker in Kemp would be an asset in itself.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:55 pm 

I`d absolutlely give Kemp a chance, he scored 9 goals in 16 games for an utterly appalling Hartlepool team, he might not be league 1 standard at present, but in league 2 he`s proven he can do it, we could do a lot worse

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:09 pm 

If people give Tucker (who is not a League 1 player and 1 month of turning up and putting a shift in will not convince me different) the benefit of the doubt cause we are in League 2 then surely Kemp is worth sticking around too for exactly the same reasons. He has played 10 games over two seasons with us and yeah the first season he would never have got in our side and IMO was a very odd Jan purchase, but last season must have been something Manning didn't see in him as he couldn't have been much worse that what was in the middle of the park during the first half of the season. He proved that with the right players around him even in a struggling pools side he has something in him at L2 level.