THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: General League 2
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:52 am 

Figured it would be handy if have a general league 2 thread to post updates/ discussion from around the division we now find ourselves in.

Salford beat Stockport 1-0 in the first league of their playoff tie. I was unaware until yesterday but Stockport have a mega rich owner who has set sights on the championship in 7 years time. Salford as we all know have a number of high profile wealthy owners who have set their sights on the championship aswell. I don’t think it matters which of these teams go up, but I think it would be in our interest of one of them does. League 2 is looking strong and these two teams are likely to be right up their next season if they are still in the division.

Notts County, managed by Luke Williams, are back in the EFL after winning a dramatic playoff final of their own. Much like Wrexham, County have looked league 2 standard all season so it’s no surprise they managed to win the playoffs. They’ve a number of decent players for this level including John Bostock.

Please to post any updates, rumours, thoughts and opinions as the summer progresses.

Post subject: Re: General League 2
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:58 pm 

Saw the final yesterday. Notts are a good team but shouldn't pose us any problems unless they build on the squad.

Forward play was quite slow - no idea how he Langstaff has 42 goals in a campaign. Best player on the park was Bostock and he was the only player who would get into our starting XI.

Otherwise a team which plays nice football, although it is worth noting County's goals came from a) a high ball into the box, and b) a niggly free kick.

Wrexham will be an interesting prospect next season. A lot depends on what business they do this summer because the Football League is a big step up from the National League especially in terms of pace and fitness.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:55 pm 

We looked good against league 2 opposition last season in the papa johns - often after looking utterly awful against League 1 teams only a few days earlier. It is hazy but I do remember burns/ devoy one night looking really good in one of those games - maybe the freezing game v Newport.

Famous last words but it is a fairly big quality gap and some of those players who have looked a mile off this season for us - Kemp , smith, Robson , Holland , Dennis , burns , grant - will be good in that next league down

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:00 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
Saw the final yesterday. Notts are a good team but shouldn't pose us any problems unless they build on the squad.

Forward play was quite slow - no idea how he Langstaff has 42 goals in a campaign. Best player on the park was Bostock and he was the only player who would get into our starting XI.

Otherwise a team which plays nice football, although it is worth noting County's goals came from a) a high ball into the box, and b) a niggly free kick.

Wrexham will be an interesting prospect next season. A lot depends on what business they do this summer because the Football League is a big step up from the National League especially in terms of pace and fitness.

This is a big myth. There’s really not that much difference between League 2 and the National League anymore, especially if you’ve got a relatively big club like Wrexham and Notts County are.

In their first seasons up after promotion, going back 10 seasons:
Stockport 4th, Grimsby 11th.
Sutton 8th, Hartlepool 17th.
Barrow 21st, Harrogate 17th.
Leyton Orient 17th, Salford 11th
Macclesfield 22nd, Tranmere 6th (P)
Lincoln 7th, FGR 21st
Cheltenham 21st, Grimsby 14th
Barnet 15th, Bristol Rovers 3rd (P)
Luton 8th, Cambridge 19th
Mansfield 11th, Newport County 14th

In fact, I don’t think there’s been a first time relegation since we’ve been a club. So while some may not be challenging at the top if it’s a first promotion ever/in decades, that won’t apply next season and both clubs will have good backing too.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:22 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

This is a big myth. There’s really not that much difference between League 2 and the National League anymore, especially if you’ve got a relatively big club like Wrexham and Notts County are.

Lincoln 7th, FGR 21st

In fact, I don’t think there’s been a first time relegation since we’ve been a club. So while some may not be challenging at the top if it’s a first promotion ever/in decades, that won’t apply next season and both clubs will have good backing too.

Those in bold get relegated in League One which relegates teams 21st and below.

L2 is "fortunate" in that only two really bad teams get relegated. I expect Wrexham and Notts to be competitive teams next season but they will need a fair bit of investment in the squads to want to challenge at the top.

The gap between the NL proper and L2 is pretty large, in my view the second largest gap in class between leagues than the PL and Championship. Three or four clubs in the NL aren't even fully professional.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:42 pm 

Big old crowd at Bradford tonight. Bradford one up against Carlisle as halftime approaching.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:46 pm 

I had absolutely no idea that Mark Hughes was Bradford's manager.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:00 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

Lincoln 7th, FGR 21st

L2 is "fortunate" in that only two really bad teams get relegated. I expect Wrexham and Notts to be competitive teams next season but they will need a fair bit of investment in the squads to want to challenge at the top.

The gap between the NL proper and L2 is pretty large, in my view the second largest gap in class between leagues than the PL and Championship. Three or four clubs in the NL aren't even fully professional.

1/5 of the teams in 10 years, none of which are even close to being comparable to Wrexham or Notts County.

The quality of that division has shot up massively and I really think you’re underestimating it. I fully expect both to be comfortably top half next season.

And Wrexham especially have been paying L1 wages for a couple of years at least.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:03 pm 

Gers wrote:
I had absolutely no idea that Mark Hughes was Bradford's manager.

League 2 full of surprises :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:41 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
paul4040 wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
paul4040 wrote:

Lincoln 7th, FGR 21st

1/5 of the teams in 10 years, none of which are even close to being comparable to Wrexham or Notts County.

The quality of that division has shot up massively and I really think you’re underestimating it. I fully expect both to be comfortably top half next season.

And Wrexham especially have been paying L1 wages for a couple of years at least.

I haven't said Wrexham or Notts County are going to get relegated, or even do badly, so I think you are arguing against something I didn't say or mean.

I said Wrexham are an interesting prospect! The challenge to them is to build and maintain a fit and competitive squad given they've had two seasons playing in the NL. I have watched the NL when I lived in Woking a few years back. It is not comparable to League Two; it is, as a whole league, a lot slower and the players are smaller and less fit. The difference is not just ability or technical talent. Hence, any success they have next season will depend on doing canny business in the close season.

I'm just not on the Wrexham "HMS Piss the League" bus like some of their fans are.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next