THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: General League 2
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:11 am 

Ormeau wrote:
and he takes it on the chin.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ormeau wrote:
Without wanting to open a can of worms - I hope any dislike of him isn’t related to his refusal to wear a poppy.

I don't expect him to wear a poppy, with his background. Also don't expect German players to do it - they tend to. The poppy stuff isn't so much my issue, it's the other stuff that come in and around the stuff that represents it and how he conducts himself, then shows surprise at how he's relieved by proud British people. He's a fuxking mongrel, and I'd be happy to see his leg snapped.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:39 am 

I was shocked to see Michael Jacobs drop to National league, a player I've always quite liked

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:02 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Ormeau wrote:

Ormeau wrote:
Without wanting to open a can of worms - I hope any dislike of him isn’t related to his refusal to wear a poppy.

I don't expect him to wear a poppy, with his background. Also don't expect German players to do it - they tend to. The poppy stuff isn't so much my issue, it's the other stuff that come in and around the stuff that represents it and how he conducts himself, then shows surprise at how he's relieved by proud British people. He's a fuxking mongrel, and I'd be happy to see his leg snapped.

I’ll admit he certainly hasn’t conducted himself well at times but the level of abuse he has received is beyond probably anything you are fully aware of. I’m not taking social media trolls btw - I mean viable death threats against him and his family. Northern Ireland still has a lot of active paramilitary elements from the conflict days and unfortunately portions of society actively encourage a lot of community based hatred.

People won’t like McLean and they certainly don’t have to - but there is a lot more to him than it appears. He has done quite a lot of philanthropy in his home town community investing in schemes for homelessness, addiction and supporting people with disabilities. None of this ever gets any attention (possibly his choice) and to my mind it’s very commendable. He was also recently diagnosed as autistic and has spoken about how he always felt a bit different and didn’t know why.

As I said before a complex character from a complex place. I’ll shut up now and stop boring everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:18 am 

If you or i was in his shoes we would probably be no different. You are a product of your own environment. I wear a poppy, im english but i wouldnt expect someone whose spent their life being persecuted or seen his community persecuted to wear the perpetrators emblem.

At times hes acted like a twat in our eyes, the balaclava video for instance but comedy is subjective and his target audience probably found it funny. If i was irish id probably find it funny and id probably hate the english too.

Its all well and good thinking everyone should toe our line but as a country we have caused worldwide devestation over the years, much like the americans. Why do we have any right to be outraged? Weve bombed no end of countries, stolen communities, been racist, xenophobic and taken communities and countries hostage.

But irish man makes irish joke and we must be so offended. But we can turn a blind eye to our country bombing the middle east, starting wars to seem like heros to obtain control over vital resources, starting charities and falsifying their cause to create mega wealth for individuals and not the countries the aid is supposed to go too. Spend a decade “p*** bashing” as it was termed. But man makes poor taste joke and hes the villain. I think many need to take a long hard look in the mirror at what theyve turned a blind eye to if they are so keen to be outraged.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:30 am 

What can I say!

I was brought up on The West Coast of Scotland by presbyterian parents. However much I present myself as an arty-farty prick, that upbringing won't leave you. I don't like him for a very specific reason, and like Ormeau, I'll shut up now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:40 am 

Ormeau wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Ormeau wrote:

Ormeau wrote:

I’ll admit he certainly hasn’t conducted himself well at times but the level of abuse he has received is beyond probably anything you are fully aware of. I’m not taking social media trolls btw - I mean viable death threats against him and his family. Northern Ireland still has a lot of active paramilitary elements from the conflict days and unfortunately portions of society actively encourage a lot of community based hatred.

People won’t like McLean and they certainly don’t have to - but there is a lot more to him than it appears. He has done quite a lot of philanthropy in his home town community investing in schemes for homelessness, addiction and supporting people with disabilities. None of this ever gets any attention (possibly his choice) and to my mind it’s very commendable. He was also recently diagnosed as autistic and has spoken about how he always felt a bit different and didn’t know why.

As I said before a complex character from a complex place. I’ll shut up now and stop boring everyone.

Can only agree with this. I know people get bored of "lived experience" stuff but it really is true that you can only understand someone like McClean if you've walked a mile in their shoes.

My family is from Derry - Creggan in fact; my dad was born a few streets away from James, and was 19 in 1969 and 22 in 1972 giving him a front-row view of a lot of unpleasantness. He left in 72, which as Ormeau will know might glibly be described as a "very bad year" in Derry. This sort of family background provides, shall we say, a unique political education, and equating the Germans wearing poppies to suggesting someone from the Creggan must as well doesn't really scan. Poppies in Northern Ireland are also a contested symbol. It's James' choice and I understand why he makes that choice. James has made other, less wise choices too, and it is true that not everyone from where he lives would do what he has done. I understand and get why he has made people angry.

It is difficult to explain the whole background to my fellow Brits (for I am one!) without a lecture; and none of us want to live in the past either I'm sure. I also get that it is very boring, and I only ask that people are a little less hostile to James and consider how their comments would come across if he was from a different minority. You don't have to get him and you probably won't. You also don't have to like him and to be honest you shouldn't; he's one of the best players in this league now playing for a rival, a great signing with over 100 caps and still plenty left in the tank.

As Gers suggests we are all a product of our upbringing, which none of us got to choose - vive la difference.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:10 am 

^^^ all off topic but all interesting and well articulated opinions. I enjoyed reading them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:21 am 

Back on topic and a huge problem looking outside today this season in league 2 could be the weather with the majority of stadia not having adequate weatherproofing to keep matches on. I envisage a very uncertain season for travelling fans.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:09 pm 

Daniel Oyegoke sent off on his Bradford debut today!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:11 pm 
Rookie wrote:
Daniel Oyegoke sent off on his Bradford debut today!

Yep. Bradford fans seem to think he was awful today. They were warned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next