The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:48 am 

Ormeau wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
Gers wrote:
Scribble wrote:
We recruited players who were not good enough for league 1, that fact was confirmed at Burton.

This.

Radically overhauling the squad with an influx of youngsters unfamiliar with English L1 football. Replacing Manning mid-season with Jackson, untested at men’s football.

We also radically overhauled our squad with an influx of youngsters unfamiliar with English L1 football in January and Summer 2022 - Darling 0 games, O'Riley 0 games, Parrott 20 games, Watson 27 games, Watters 5 games, Kioso 20 games whilst Harvie and O'Hora signed with 0 experience at this level too. The only Russ signing with real experience at this level was Eisa was 57 games.
This may be a stretch, but I think Tucker had more L1 starts when he signed for us than L1 appearance in our entire regular starting XI in 21/22 combined (excluding Lewington).

This summer we added Grigg (378), Holland (45), Lawrence Robson (46), Lawrence (24), Johnson (132), Kayode (20). Cumming had a year at this level before resigning.

We failed because we were not good enough, the balance was wrong and they were coached poorly, not that they were unfamiliar with this level. Our squad that came 3rd had significantly less experience at this level.

Whilst the men's football comment may play a part. Manning was inexperienced at this level. Russ had never even been a coach. The two teams promoted from L1 this season are two former coaches/assistants with zero experience as the main man. Paul Warne kept getting Rotherham promoted but his only previous experience was coaching some kids in a field in Norfolk.

We can probably go round and round all day. The real answer is no one person is to blame and collectively Pete, Manning and Sweeting massively cocked it up last summer, during the season and then again when settling on Jackson as the man to get us out of the mess.

What I would say is that a large part of our problem specifically was that our attempt to utilise loan players was a complete and utter disaster. Loans are normally something we do reasonably well with but this year we cocked it up to no end. I am a firm believer that loan spots at league 1 level should be reserved for players who are essentially too good for the club to own. They should be 1st time regulars or at the very least pushing very very hard for a starting space. In the past we've done this very well. Parrott, Afobe, Bamford, Coventry, Smith (going way back), Healey etc etc. But this year, with the exception of Cumming all our loans have been so poor they hardly merited a place in the squad let alone the starting 11.

In Pete's interview he mentions this. He talks briefly about how we had a lot of injuries at the start of the season meaning we signed loan players earlier in the window (less quality available) rather than wait until nearer the end when some of the prem and championship clubs will free up players to go out on loan. In hindsight this was a terrible strategic decision. If we had held out longer who knows who we might have been able to pick up. We know we were very much in the race for Rak Sakyi who is we had signed would probably have singlehandedly helped us pick up enough additional points to finish mid table.

Lawrence, Kayode, Barry and Oyegoke must be our worst ever batch of loans.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:04 am 

I believe you can only state that the current crop were more experienced in being involved in relegation threatened teams and true to form, it's want plannd out and with the unpredictability of unexperienced players it turned into a disaster. The issue with continuely losing best players and replacing them with relatively untested players is the variation in outcome. The club got away with it for a few seasons but playing Russian roulette with recruitment isn't goong to work in the long terms. Similary not a changing a team will have the same result in the end.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:44 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I believe you can only state that the current crop were more experienced in being involved in relegation threatened teams and true to form, it's want plannd out and with the unpredictability of unexperienced players it turned into a disaster. The issue with continuely losing best players and replacing them with relatively untested players is the variation in outcome. The club got away with it for a few seasons but playing Russian roulette with recruitment isn't goong to work in the long terms. Similary not a changing a team will have the same result in the end.

Grigg and Johnson the two experienced players had a lot of success at this level, Robson (3rd and 3rd), Holland (4th and 8th) and Kayode (2nd) were involved in largely winning teams. It was only Lawrence and Tucker (who spent 2 of his 3 seasons in the top half) that came from relegated sides. Just like Twine did, or to an extent Cumming was on his way to doing the previous January and how Watson played 24 of his 27 games in L1 for a struggling team. So I'm not sure if that argument stands up that well.

But got to agree with the rest of it. Not everyone will turn out well but that is true for somebody experienced from a higher level, a proven track record at L1 level or a youngster from the league below. Every signing will always carry a risk - sadly as you say it was a disaster this summer.

What concerns me the most was the inconsistency of the transfer approach in the summer and how tactically ill-disciplined we started the season. Now the injuries will have played a part, I can also imagine after our successful previous 18 months of recruitment some agents may have used our interest to offer players to other clubs where they can earn more. From apparently recruiting for a 4-2-3-1 yet only signing two actual wingers in Burns and Holland, to formally bidding for Bishop then not targeting a striker with similar attributes, to seeing how lost we looked on the pitch at Cambridge with players such as Johnson so happy to just punt the ball forward or Tucker looking like he'd never had a football near him before. I actually really don't know if we had a true on field strategy entering this season - a far cry from what Russ has introduced.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:57 am 

Alright, I've not told the truth until now. It's not Sweeting or Tucker or whoever but.....most of the players are very keen amateur ornithologists and that sparrowhawk pair regularly tearing Pigeon's to pieces during home games upset them. That's why our away form was (ahem) 'so much better'. ;)