THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Academy Prospects
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:43 am 

Early days I know to be thinking of the squad for the 2023/24 season, but I was thinking that we might have to bulk out the squad with one or two Academy graduates next season, something we didn’t really do for the season just gone.
In the past we have had a few that have made the grade and in some cases sadly been moved on only to make the grade elsewhere and at a higher level.
I’m not sure if we have any prospects in the current crop to be offered a pro-contract as I don’t follow the Academy that closely, but two or three have caught my attention, Tommy Blennerhassett, Ronnie Sandford, and Callum Tripp. I’m not sure of their ages but I’d guess around 16-17 years, could they step up ?
Or does anyone know of any others in our ranks that could make the grade, and be playing LG 2 next season ?

Post subject: Re: Academy Prospects
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:46 am 

Tripp has signed a new deal and will be a squad player next year. Only 16 but he’s going to be a CM and a back up LB and LW so he should get a few games next year.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:50 am 

WellDon wrote:
Early days I know to be thinking of the squad for the 2023/24 season, but I was thinking that we might have to bulk out the squad with one or two Academy graduates next season, something we didn’t really do for the season just gone.
In the past we have had a few that have made the grade and in some cases sadly been moved on only to make the grade elsewhere and at a higher level.
I’m not sure if we have any prospects in the current crop to be offered a pro-contract as I don’t follow the Academy that closely, but two or three have caught my attention, Tommy Blennerhassett, Ronnie Sandford, and Callum Tripp. I’m not sure of their ages but I’d guess around 16-17 years, could they step up ?
Or does anyone know of any others in our ranks that could make the grade, and be playing LG 2 next season ?

I'm not even going to try to think of a chant for him.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:54 am 

BetterCallSaul wrote:
Tripp has signed a new deal and will be a squad player next year. Only 16 but he’s going to be a CM and a back up LB and LW so he should get a few games next year.

This is good news. He looked a real prospect last preseason. Physically he looked more ready than Grant/Burns/Devoy did.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:54 am 

Aliramone wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Cost a few quid to have his name on your shirt.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:00 am 

Brooklyn Ilunga should be ready to deputise on the left flank after a decent loan in the National League at Wealdstone.

Can't see any others, Tripp included, making much of an impact next season. Tripp could probably do with a decent loan. He seems to have outgrown the u18 team (where he's been playing CB recently) and could do with regular senior football, maybe at NLS level?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:01 am 

BetterCallSaul wrote:

Tripp is still 16 so won't have signed a pro deal yet. Any details on what he's signed BCS?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:06 am 

Aliramone wrote:

I'm thinking we take his surname, and put it to the chorus of Rock Me Amadeus.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:10 am 

Toby Carvery wrote:
Brooklyn Ilunga should be ready to deputise on the left flank after a decent loan in the National League at Wealdstone.

Can't see any others, Tripp included, making much of an impact next season. Tripp could probably do with a decent loan. He seems to have outgrown the u18 team (where he's been playing CB recently) and could do with regular senior football, maybe at NLS level?

Yes by all accounts Brooklyn was doing very well on his loan spell. Although it was cut short by an injury wasn't it? Here is hoping it wasn't too serious.

What has happened to Jack Davies and Lewis Johnson. Johnson in particular seems to have vanished after being around the 1st team a fair bit under Martin.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:55 am 

Jack davies has been doing very well on loan by all accounts and is more than capable physically. Him and tripp could handle the physicality of league football but will probably need more experience and confidence to compete at the pro level, not be thrown in the deep end of a slog.

Brit illunga is first team ready imo and getting goal contributions only 1 step below.

Blennerhassett seems to score for fun at academy level.