THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweeting
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:29 pm 
Magpie wrote:
Yep, Sweeting at least acknowledging his part in the clusterfuck and offering himself up was the right to to do by him and I think it not being accepted was on balance probably the right thing as well. Maybe. Perhaps.

But thats just the start. There have to be wholesale changes in the way we operate in my opinion. Malaise just cant be entertained and we have to get off to a solid start next season, we can find ourselves still sulking about it in November and near the bottom of the league. We have to get momentum.

Otherwise, its all for nothing and no worse than getting rid of everyone and everything involved in this seasons disaster. Dont for one second believe that because we play in a rented big stadium that we are a big club. We arent and as such are as at risk of going out of the league as pretty much any other club in that division.

100% all of this

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:36 pm 

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/fo ... on-4138682

“Why on earth was my Sporting Director talking to the public? He doesn’t sign the players, he had pictures with the new players. You don’t see it at any other club, you hardly even know who they are.

“It was good to hear from a different voice, but it should not have been the Sporting Director or the Head of Recruitment - whatever you want to call him.

“I didn't accept his resignation because he still has so much to give to this club.

“He has had less and less profile recently, and going forward he won't have any profile. You shouldn't really know who he is.”

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:43 pm 
Let's be optimistic.

All that matters going forward is Sweeting and his team can identify why/how they went wrong last summer, learn from those mistakes and go back to the successful style of recruitment we saw under Russell Martin/Liam Manning.

- Less gambles, more players with experience of EFL football
- Not being afraid to stump up cash for players we know are proven at this level (as we did with Eisa, Fraser, Healey etc). Yes we might have to compete with other clubs but so be it.
- A mix of experience and youth (with potential to make a profit) but always prioritising players that have the quality to compete at the top of our level
- Less signings that need time to bed in or longer term signings unless we have the bulk of the squad sorted
- Secure signings in good time, not waiting until transfer deadline day and hoping things work out
- Have the spine of the squad/key players in place ready for the start of the season

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:56 pm 

JtL264 wrote:
https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/winkelman-turned-down-sweetings-resignation-following-relegation-4138682

“Why on earth was my Sporting Director talking to the public? He doesn’t sign the players, he had pictures with the new players. You don’t see it at any other club, you hardly even know who they are.

“It was good to hear from a different voice, but it should not have been the Sporting Director or the Head of Recruitment - whatever you want to call him.

“I didn't accept his resignation because he still has so much to give to this club.

“He has had less and less profile recently, and going forward he won't have any profile. You shouldn't really know who he is.”

I get that Pete is trying to protect Sweeting, but a lot of this seems unhelpful.

He's wrong about how 'you hardly even know who they are'. Sporting directors are increasingly public figures at clubs. The fans know who they are. And it's completely logical for them to give interviews on recruitment, the club's overarching philosophy, etc. Because if the sporting director doesn't, then who will? It just creates a vacuum and fuels grievances about a lack of transparency and connection between supporters and club.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:07 pm 

JtL264 wrote:
https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/winkelman-turned-down-sweetings-resignation-following-relegation-4138682

If these are direct quotes, then they are causing a vacuum of responsibility. Probably by design.

Hes blaming Sweeting for over-reaching but not taking any responsibility for his lack of leadership oversight. Any semblance that Sweeting had been given the day to day reigns is utterly dispelled by these statements and only goes to highlight the chaos within the club, leading to the shambles on the pitch as far as I can tell.

People apparently undertaking tasks that weren't theirs or beyond their remit but being allowed to do so, including crafted press releases , and no obvious individual in a role that should have been delivering those messages. Its screams the need for a GM or CEO.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:33 pm 

I'm actually changing my mind on Sweeting.

Give him 1 more chance to sign what we need which imo will likely be different types of players to the ones we may have needed in League One.

The key is the right Manager & none of this, lets give Mr No Experience and Cheap a Go !

We need to lose quite a few deadwood players & with loanees going, Id say there's going to be over 10 going/recruited in the next couple of months.
First off, Id like to see the Manager in place to oversee what he wants & to assess again what we have.

Feeling upbeat or is that the warm beer talking ?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:48 pm 

Filth wrote:
Let's be optimistic.

Sphere - somebody has hacked into Filthy’s account.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:02 pm 
dons50 wrote:
Filth wrote:
Let's be optimistic.

Sphere - somebody has hacked into Filthy’s account.

:D pessimism was justified last season!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:43 pm 

In an optimistic world we go into next season like a League Two Burnley and have some fun. There are three promotion places so fingers crossed we have a better time getting up if we can.

In a pessimistic world, I'm worried that too much gung ho can be as damaging as patience. We don't want an unstable setup full of unsettled and disjointed players. This will take some big work. But, strangely I'm excited because I fucking hated League Two last time

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:46 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
In an optimistic world we go into next season like a League Two Burnley and have some fun. There are three promotion places so fingers crossed we have a better time getting up if we can.

In a pessimistic world, I'm worried that too much gung ho can be as damaging as patience. We don't want an unstable setup full of unsettled and disjointed players. This will take some big work. But, strangely I'm excited because I fucking hated League Two last time

If we have a proper pre-season then that will help disjointed players gel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next