THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweeting
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:13 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
In an optimistic world we go into next season like a League Two Burnley and have some fun. There are three promotion places so fingers crossed we have a better time getting up if we can.

In a pessimistic world, I'm worried that too much gung ho can be as damaging as patience. We don't want an unstable setup full of unsettled and disjointed players. This will take some big work. But, strangely I'm excited because I fucking hated League Two last time

If we have a proper pre-season then that will help disjointed players gel.

Key word is "proper" because tell that to everyone talking about gelling this season :lol: what a buzz phrase that was

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:26 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
In an optimistic world we go into next season like a League Two Burnley and have some fun. There are three promotion places so fingers crossed we have a better time getting up if we can.

In a pessimistic world, I'm worried that too much gung ho can be as damaging as patience. We don't want an unstable setup full of unsettled and disjointed players. This will take some big work. But, strangely I'm excited because I fucking hated League Two last time

If we have a proper pre-season then that will help disjointed players gel.

Key word is "proper" because tell that to everyone talking about gelling this season :lol: what a buzz phrase that was

I mean more than four friendlies against non league opposition and a proper tour of Ireland (or somewhere else) that I don't think happened last season. Those tours were more than just a jolly and when you don't have them (I don't think we did) its sorely missed and is used more as team building just as much as practice games.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:39 pm 

I knew what you meant mate, was just leaning more toward how funny the "they need time to gel" phrase was so often used this season

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:56 am 

Alby39 wrote:
I knew what you meant mate, was just leaning more toward how funny the "they need time to gel" phrase was so often used this season

Sorry I am shite at understanding tone in writing. You even put an emoji next to it and it still didn't help me. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:10 am 

I'm sure my views have been echoed by others, but I'm not reading 11 pages of this to check so apologies if I'm repeating previous comments.

I feel it's quite decent of Sweeting to offer his resignation. It shows he understands the failings, isn't hiding behind excuses, and accepts accountability. I'm glad Pete rejected his resignation, and in doing so I hope Sweeting is now fired up to work his ass off this summer to fire us to top 3 next year. I genuinely believe that relegation followed by being given a second chance should make him more motivated than ever to succeed.

Sweeting obviously is good at this job. One poor season doesn't change that in my opinion, and I think he deserves the chance to help design a promotion push. It's clear from Pete's interview that we're going with an experienced head, and I think going for an experienced "manager" can only help Sweeting. It should put less pressure on Sweeting to design our squad as an experienced manager will likely be better connected and have more of an early say in transfer/contract matters than a Head Coach in his first role.

We will clearly have one of the biggest, if not the biggest, budgets in the league so absolutely no excuse not to go up automatically at the first attempt.

Toby reported that Pete mentioned we're going to "take our time" to find Jackson's replacement, but we can't wait too long. It's clear we already have a shortlist we're working on and from what Pete said I got the impression conversations are already starting to happen with potential candidates. We need to start building this squad early and that comes from hiring a manager first.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:32 am 

Gravel Path to Martti wrote:
I'm sure my views have been echoed by others, but I'm not reading 11 pages of this to check so apologies if I'm repeating previous comments.

I feel it's quite decent of Sweeting to offer his resignation. It shows he understands the failings, isn't hiding behind excuses, and accepts accountability. I'm glad Pete rejected his resignation, and in doing so I hope Sweeting is now fired up to work his ass off this summer to fire us to top 3 next year. I genuinely believe that relegation followed by being given a second chance should make him more motivated than ever to succeed.

Sweeting obviously is good at this job. One poor season doesn't change that in my opinion, and I think he deserves the chance to help design a promotion push. It's clear from Pete's interview that we're going with an experienced head, and I think going for an experienced "manager" can only help Sweeting. It should put less pressure on Sweeting to design our squad as an experienced manager will likely be better connected and have more of an early say in transfer/contract matters than a Head Coach in his first role.

We will clearly have one of the biggest, if not the biggest, budgets in the league so absolutely no excuse not to go up automatically at the first attempt.

Toby reported that Pete mentioned we're going to "take our time" to find Jackson's replacement, but we can't wait too long. It's clear we already have a shortlist we're working on and from what Pete said I got the impression conversations are already starting to happen with potential candidates. We need to start building this squad early and that comes from hiring a manager first.

We had one of the biggest budgets the season just gone. Goes to show how shit it was utilised. I am sorry between him and Manning they destroyed all the good work they did the season before. It is going to take a lot of convincing for me to give Sweeting the benefit of the doubt, but I guess we have no choice. Hit the ground running then I will be OK with it mid table or lower after a dozen or so games then question will be raised by me.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:34 am 

Winkie never said Sweeting actually offered his resignation, he mentioned it twice and said "practically offered his resignation".

This means, he didn't offer his resignation but probably proactively put in a meeting with Winkie where he admitted to all the failings this season and asked Winkie if he still had faith in him.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:00 am 

Tbf, we do have time on our side. The playoffs haven't even started yet and we've already got a manager search on. Donny have appointed Grant McCann and sacked Schofield the same time we got rid of Jackson - so every chance it could be quicker than we hoped but Grant and Donny are interlinked so that process is faster.
We need to take time to get the right guy in and not rushing just for the sake of it. New manager coming in now or 3/4 weeks time makes little difference so we may as well take careful steps.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:04 am 

Alby39 wrote:

Tbf, we do have time on our side. The playoffs haven't even started yet and we've already got a manager search on. Donny have appointed Grant McCann and sacked Schofield the same time we got rid of Jackson - so every chance it could be quicker than we hoped but Grant and Donny are interlinked so that process is faster.
We need to take time to get the right guy in and not rushing just for the sake of it. New manager coming in now or 3/4 weeks time makes little difference so we may as well take careful steps.

I wonder if Pete/Liam have on eye on the conference playoff final this weekend in case a certain manager would become a slightly more realistic appointment should his team not win ;)

I think if we can get some someone in before June I will be happy. The sooner the better of course but quite a dew candidates might well be on holiday's at the minute etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:09 am 

I don't get it. If two managers have been sacked and Sweeting is very much complicit in the season long poor team performance, then why is he exempted from losing his job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next