THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Sweeting
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:25 pm 

Stick or twist?

I’d get rid in all honesty, spend his wages on something more worth while

Post subject: Re: Sweeting
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:33 pm 

Isn't the whole point of a having a sporting director that you don't change them very often? Their purpose is to provide some sort of consistency, even when managers come and go. He's obviously made mistakes and is partly to blame for this season but I think he's got enough credit in the bank for now.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:35 pm 

I wouldn't get rid, but the jury is out. Another poor season and then I think his job may be on the line.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:37 pm 

Tough one.

Last summer he was the best thing since sliced bread. By December it was clear he was a busted flush. By April it looked like his Jan recruitment had saved us.... and now we are down.

I think I would stick with him for one more transfer window but it is clear that we need a manager/head coach that is capable of identifying and attracting players to join the club. Sweeting isn't infallible so we need someone to challenge his recruitment choices and vice versa. Martin and Sweeting together built the 21/22 squad. Hopefully whoever we get in next has a similar ability to sell their vision to players.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:38 pm 

He had a bad summer, but partially redeemed himself in January. My guess is that he was under restricted instructions, to concentrate on promising youngsters, with a sprinkling of oldies and rough diamonds that the club could polish, but who turned out as turds.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:39 pm 

You get rid of the manager, or you get rid of the sporting director. Not both at the same time. Sweeting’s done absolutely fine depending on what you consider his role is.

If it’s a case of he has both a budget from the chairman and a list of players the manager wants, then he’s done everything he’s been asked to do.

If it’s a case of the manager says what he needs, Sweeting finds the ones that fit the budget and the requirements, then he’s still done his job but there’s improvement needed.

If he’s in total charge (he won’t be) then it’s on him and we also need to stop praising Martin for the 21/22 signings.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:40 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
You get rid of the manager, or you get rid of the sporting director. Not both at the same time. Sweeting’s done absolutely fine depending on what you consider his role is.

If it’s a case of he has both a budget from the chairman and a list of players the manager wants, then he’s done everything he’s been asked to do.

If it’s a case of the manager says what he needs, Sweeting finds the ones that fit the budget and the requirements, then he’s still done his job but there’s improvement needed.

If he’s in total charge (he won’t be) then it’s on him and we also need to stop praising Martin for the 21/22 signings.

Why? It is clear the quality of additions dropped off.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:45 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
DippyDon wrote:

Because if we’re blaming him for this season then surely it means the season before was all on Sweeting too?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:52 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
DippyDon wrote:

Because if we’re blaming him for this season then surely it means the season before was all on Sweeting too?

I didn't blame him. I said he wasn't infallible so we need someone to challenge his recruitment choices and vice versa. For whatever reason recruitment has gone backwards. What has changed? From the outside it looks like the manager/head coach is the most obvious variable. Clearly whoever holds this role has a big say in the players we ultimately sign.

Do you think Martin would have settled for Grigg, Holland and Kemp being our attack first game of this season? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:53 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Isn't the whole point of a having a sporting director that you don't change them very often? Their purpose is to provide some sort of consistency, even when managers come and go. He's obviously made mistakes and is partly to blame for this season but I think he's got enough credit in the bank for now.

I’d get rid of the role altogether and just have a manager with full control

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next