THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:47 am 

Teenagers eh? Its only going to get worse now the club is of legal drinking age. You wait till it relocates unsupervised for uni. God i miss the terrible 2’s.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:05 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:
We replaced the likes of Darling, Twine and Parrot with Oyegoke, Grant and Dennis.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I don't quite agree with this. I understand the frustrations with recruitment and in hindsight we made a hell of a lot of mistakes. But I think it is slightly dishonest to make those direct comparisions.

The Twine replacement was a big miss, but that was always difficult having gone from Gilbey to Fraser to Twine. We hoped it would be Grant. Let's not forget Twine only had 6 months experience in L1 having previously been shipped out on loan to L2, hardly guaranteed success or a clear proven track record.

We replaced Darling with Tucker - somebody highly sought after with 100 games at this level and cost us a reported £300k
We replaced KKH with Oyegoke - one Premier League youth England international for another Premier League youth international
We replaced Parrott with Barry - one highly rated Premier League Ireland international for one highly rated Premier League, former Barcelona England youth international.

Now did the work? Hell no. But most of us felt at the time they were pretty good replacements

I was exaggerating a point to prove a point. That point being that we had really good players, sold them and then bought rubbish players.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 2:42 am 

Filth wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:
We replaced the likes of Darling, Twine and Parrot with Oyegoke, Grant and Dennis.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I don't quite agree with this. I understand the frustrations with recruitment and in hindsight we made a hell of a lot of mistakes. But I think it is slightly dishonest to make those direct comparisions.

The Twine replacement was a big miss, but that was always difficult having gone from Gilbey to Fraser to Twine. We hoped it would be Grant. Let's not forget Twine only had 6 months experience in L1 having previously been shipped out on loan to L2, hardly guaranteed success or a clear proven track record.

We replaced Darling with Tucker - somebody highly sought after with 100 games at this level and cost us a reported £300k
We replaced KKH with Oyegoke - one Premier League youth England international for another Premier League youth international
We replaced Parrott with Barry - one highly rated Premier League Ireland international for one highly rated Premier League, former Barcelona England youth international.

Now did the work? Hell no. But most of us felt at the time they were pretty good replacements

On paper (and with plenty of hindsight), Tucker replacing Darling felt the only "proper" replacement. I was excited when that happened.

I think most of us (myself included) expected much more from Oyegoke and Barry.

But we never replaced Twine, and Grant was an underwhelming signing from the start. We also never replaced Coventry who was a massive part of the second half of last season, nor Kasumu to some degree.

To Sweeting's credit though (or maybe Manning for convincing him?), bringing back Cumming was excellent work and probably saved us finishing bottom.

That is a pretty good point that often goes under the radar. I'd argue Mahoma attempted to fulfil that energetic combative box to box role but it was a bit too late and the end product/decision making around the box was horrific at times. I guess we'd also hoped Robson would fit in. Crazy how in the summer many fans had no idea how we'd pick from all central midfielders - Devoy, Grant, Johnson, McEachran, Robson, Smith - and then within a couple of months we had no idea who we actually wanted to play

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 am 

Well I backed you heavily ante-post each-way, to be promoted and to finish in the top-six. So I could only give a rueful smile when I heard the news on Sunday. The only other time I've backed you was ante-post 2017-18 when I hoped Robbie Neilson could repeat his success North of the border. So if you want to have a whip-round to pay me to leave you alone I won't be offended.

But actually I'm very interested to see who is the next manager/head coach. If it's the right man I could be boosting the turf-accountants' coffers again come July.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:02 pm 

ROKERITE wrote:
Well I backed you heavily ante-post each-way, to be promoted and to finish in the top-six. So I could only give a rueful smile when I heard the news on Sunday. The only other time I've backed you was ante-post 2017-18 when I hoped Robbie Neilson could repeat his success North of the border. So if you want to have a whip-round to pay me to leave you alone I won't be offended.

But actually I'm very interested to see who is the next manager/head coach. If it's the right man I could be boosting the turf-accountants' coffers again come July.

In the words of Sean Bean: "You stupid bastard." :lol:

All the best for the play-offs. I love Sunderland, great fans that know their football.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:39 pm 

Out of the clubs in the playoffs only one "deserve" to be in the Premier League and that is Sunderland. No club deserves it per se because you only get what you earn, but the Prem is better for them being there and given the turnaround since last season, and Ellis Short not being there any more I feel well see a different kind of Sunderland in the top flight.

Especially since losing Alex Neil, it'd be good to see a big middle finger to that moron. Plus, how can you not like Tomy Mowbray, eh Gers? :D

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:56 am 

I can see the parallels with the following article on Southampton

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ier-league

Over reliance on metrics, untested & young team, a replacement rookie manager (at that level), high spending wasted, relegation.

Saying that it's not the time to throw the baby out with the bath water. However, the club needs a more measured approach, which includes metrics but isn't dictated by it and to consider the short term as well as the long.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:24 am 

keyser soze wrote:
WellDon wrote:
Have you thought about writing the Meltdown….you seem to have a lot of talent.

No no no. We're not having someone with talent writing the Meltdown. ;)

Seriously, if you step back from it (which I could fully understand), I'd miss it. It combines passion, personal bitterness, good insight and batshit craziness, all in perfect proportions. It's one of the best things about this place, even when I disagree with every word (which ain't that often, he whispered).

That's the bit I can relate to...... :ugeek: