THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:52 pm 

Rookie wrote:
Just ask Scunthorpe or Yeovil fans!!

Absolutely not

Some teams have also had strong rebuilds reaching this Championship or even Premier League within 5 years of relegation to L2 - Bournemouth, Plymouth, Coventry, Blackpool and Rotherham.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:31 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Absolutely not

Some teams have also had strong rebuilds reaching this Championship or even Premier League within 5 years of relegation to L2 - Bournemouth, Plymouth, Coventry, Blackpool and Rotherham.

I think we've beaten all those teams

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:14 am 

midfielder wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Absolutely not

I think we've beaten all those teams

AND BY GOD IT PUT THEM ON THE MAP

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:08 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Absolutely not

Personally wouldn't want to roll the dice on that one!!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:28 am 

Rookie wrote:

Absolutely not

Both have had severe ownership issues, as have Rochdale, Oldham, and basically anyone that's gone down to non league in quick succession. We might think a lot of negative things about PW sometimes, but he's not on the level of those clubs.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:19 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Absolutely not

Both have had severe ownership issues, as have Rochdale, Oldham, and basically anyone that's gone down to non league in quick succession. We might think a lot of negative things about PW sometimes, but he's not on the level of those clubs.

That would be interesting to look at. Have those formed 'established' EFL teams dropped out of the league after recent ownership changes? Whilst managerial history is an easy find on wikipedia, ownership/chairmans are less so. I have no of the answer

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:13 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Absolutely not

That would be interesting to look at. Have those formed 'established' EFL teams dropped out of the league after recent ownership changes? Whilst managerial history is an easy find on wikipedia, ownership/chairmans are less so. I have no of the answer

It's not necessarily changes, but sometimes just bad ownership.

I probably know more about Scunthorpe because my old flatmate is from there and through him I know a fan, and they changed their owner only recently, but after the January window where it was too late to make any changes to save them. Even then it doesn't look good for the future as this new guy wanted to move their training location to Derbyshire, 70 miles away before the fans got in the way.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:32 pm 

mightydons wrote:
....but do you think for the "long term" future of the club that it is better that we do get relegated on Saturday.

If we stay up - will things really change much going into next season? Jacko will prob stay and a nunber of others.
If we go down - there would no doubt be an investigation into what went wrong with maybe real changes being made?

Is it worth a bit of short term pain to be stronger in the long term?

I have wondered this before. As Dan says I'm sure in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make much difference. If they havn't learnt any lessons from the season we've already had then relegation isn't going to change that.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:15 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Absolutely not

Rotherham were in L2 for six seasons. Blackpool were in L2 once since 2004/5. In 2016–17, Coventry were relegated to League Two, but also won the EFL Trophy in the same season. The following season, their first in L2 since 1959, they were promoted. Bournemouth were in L2 for 2 seasons and then got a very rich owner. Plymouth are the only club mentioned that were promoted twice from L2 within 5 seasons (2016–17 & 2019–20).

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:23 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Absolutely not

Rotherham were in L2 for six seasons. Blackpool were in L2 once since 2004/5. In 2016–17, Coventry were relegated to League Two, but also won the EFL Trophy in the same season. The following season, their first in L2 since 1959, they were promoted. Bournemouth were in L2 for 2 seasons and then got a very rich owner. Plymouth are the only club mentioned that were promoted twice from L2 within 5 seasons (2016–17 & 2019–20).

Coventry promoted from L2 in 17/18 after 1 season. Promoted to Championship 2 seasons later

Blackpool promoted from L2 in 16/17 after 1 season. Promoted to Championship 4 seasons later

Got the Rotherham and Bournemouth ones wrong but they still worked their way back up pretty well. Looks like Bolton are now too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next