THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:21 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – BARNSLEY
Morning, it’s my usual quiet hour before the Boss gets up as I mull over the game in front of us, and so far I think I’ve convinced myself of just about every scenario, and then moved on to another as I begin to think it’s unlikely. The reality is there are so many different outcomes, in the end you get brain overload, but I think I can settle on, win and that will just about seal the deal, draw or lose and it’s going to be very nervy next Sunday against Burton Albion.

We will have to see tonight, and then sweat out the Burton v Cambridge Utd game on Wednesday night, only then we will know for definite what the scale of the task needed is.

One thing I have mused over is, it would be so MK Dons to win today against all the odds, but I do really think that is unlikely as I don’t think Barnsley are going to want to go into the playoffs on a bit of a losing streak, but I suppose players with niggling injuries maybe rested, some won’t want to end up getting injured, or sent off, and will they want to get involved with us fighting for survival, that is of course if we are fighting, as there have been few signs lately to suggest we are.

I’m also sitting here wondering what others are thinking ahead of the game, especially those that have declared, “It’s just a rocky start” or “no more relegations on my watch”. Some may feel they are just throw away comments that shouldn’t be taken too seriously, all part and parcel of the football hype you might say, but if we cannot or shouldn’t take them seriously, what do we honestly believe anymore, anything, nothing, is it just bullshit to sell tickets. If we shouldn’t take too much notice of these comments, personally I wished they wouldn’t say them, to me it just makes them look like strangers to the truth that will say anything to protect their image, ultimately I think it will work against them, chickens always come home to roost, unless the fox gets them first of course.

I’m also thinking about the relegation deniers on here that have constantly dismissed the thoughts of others when that have said relegation is a distinct possibility, of course they could be right by 10 to 5 and feel relieved and a bit smug, then again they may have to sit out our date with destiny at Burton, no I don’t feel smug, yes I know I have been calling this last weekend shootout for ages, but I get no pleasure out of it as I will watch in agony as our fate plays out before us, today will be tough, next week it could be excruciatingly painful.

I’m thinking an unchanged side, but who knows, but I thought the line-up last week was about the best we can field currently, it’s the application that was all wrong, so I really hope we get to see some passion and fight today as just lately I haven’t felt that despite all the bluster from a few individuals on the other side of the fence so to speak.

I’m off then for a CazBar and a trot round the Fan Village to see how much they want for a pork roll, like I said a good idea, but it needs a bit more thought.
See you later…fingers crossed.

Emotionally destroyed, and I think that about sums it up, and I should probably end this Meltdown report right here, as that game just about defies description.

It’s funny how your expectations fluctuate, before the game I’d have taken a point, at half time I’d have taken a point, but after that staggering Dons second half response of 20 minutes of some of the most impressive football we have seen since the likes of Scott Twine graced the SMK turf I was on cloud nine with the Dons firmly having a grasp on their destiny and Barnsley fans streaming out of the turnstiles.

Then former Cowshed favourite Max Watters took the Dons apart as we capitulated in 13 minutes, it was too incredible to take in and if not for Cumming it could have been worse.

The first half we didn’t do too bad after a dodgy opening 5 minutes where we hardly laid a glove on them, but we settled down and started moving it about and we didn’t look out of place in the game, and I wasn’t that upset to be 1-0 down at half time to the impressive Herbie Kane goal.

Who knows what happened at half time, but the Dons came out like they were possessed and levelled just 3 minutes after the break when Mo was felled in the box, and he picked himself up and confidently dispatched the spot kick.

4 minutes later we hit the front, Leko stabbing the ball home after some decent work from KaiKai, but better was still to come.

Maghoma picked the ball up on the halfway line with a host of Barnsley players in hot pursuit and he looked to be running into a dead end but somehow he wriggled free and laid it off to Mo who hit the sweetest shot from 25 yards into the corner of the net to put Dons fans in dreamland and kick off chaos in the stands, amusingly to us Paris just collapsed in a heap and didn’t have the strength to join in the celebration. By the way close the Goal of the Season voting, that was it right there.

It seemed the Dons were unstoppable, and the Barnsley team were in tatters and to prove the point we even scored from a corner, O’Hora nodding home with a deft touch from a McEachran corner.

That should have been it, but Barnsley threw caution to the wind and just peppered us, and we turned the best display into the worst display in just a few minutes as they just panicked their arses off. At 4-2 you could see it happening, at 4-3 it was a given and at 4-4 I honestly thought it could end up with us losing.

So we got the draw we all hoped for, but it feels like a loss and although we aren’t in the relegation spots just yet we are hanging over the edge staring into the abyss.

Not only is that a massive kick in the guts for us our luck has run out with the teams around us, Oxford are now clear of trouble and Accrington are as good as gone, with only a mathematical freak result saving them, and that’s not going to happen.

We now have to rely on Burton Albion beating Cambridge Utd on Wednesday or in the very least the game ending in a draw, and that would put fate back in our hands.

If they win that puts the U’s two points above us with a home game remaining against Forest Green, and I can only see that going one way, stranger things have happened, but you have to say if Cambridge win against Burton you can start planning trips to such wonderful locations as Barrow, Grimsby, Tranmere, and maybe even Bromley or Boreham Wood.

Gone will be the 6,000 away fans regular income with just Wrexham and probably Notts County providing the biggest attendances, but I guess at least we will get to see AFC again.

Of course, it’s not over yet, but we look doomed, and you have to say it’s been a shit show from start to finish, on and off the pitch, we should have known when they rolled out that bloody awful shirt, down and dirty, to dirty and down in 12 months, what the hell went wrong, and to rub it in Plymouth who we took apart on the last game of the season were promoted today, you would struggle to write it and make it believable.

I’ll be watching on Wednesday night, with the final preview of the season coming out on Saturday.

If you haven’t already, get your tickets for Burton and join the 1,000 plus, it’s either going to be a wake or a party.

Enjoy the weekend, and many thanks for tuning in once again and the kind comments from a few of you before the game, with a special mention to the “Twilights “.

Ciao for now.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:41 pm 

Disgraceful optimism trying to hide in plain sight.
Reported.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:25 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Disgraceful optimism trying to hide in plain sight.
Reported.

You get me everytime.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:52 pm 

Thanks for the write up, and for all your hard work over the course of the season.
I can't see anything other than relegation now. On the other hand, I couldn't see anything other than a right drubbing before today's game. Football, eh? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:56 pm 

It was a great game.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:16 pm 

I have been going to watch football for over 50 years. Today was right up there with the most extraordinary things I have witnessed.

The sheer delirium of four goals in 20 second half minutes, with an exquisite strike by Mo. Got to admit I had banked it but as soon as they got one back it felt fragile. Absolutely gutted tonight.

Funny things happen at the end of the season. Cambridge winning at Burton is not inevitable, nor are they nailed on to beat Forest Green although that could easily be regarded as straw clutching.

It’s not over til it’s over - but if we end up in League Two I will still be there, because when a team plays like we did for the first part of the second half today then it will always be the beautiful game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:37 pm 

Shame we had a great 20 minutes of football probably the best of the season, a draw that in other circumstances we would have grabbed with two hands and yet it feels like a thumping.

The fat lady is learning her lyrics

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:02 pm 

HarpenDon wrote:
I have been going to watch football for over 50 years. Today was right up there with the most extraordinary things I have witnessed.

The sheer delirium of four goals in 20 second half minutes, with an exquisite strike by Mo. Got to admit I had banked it but as soon as they got one back it felt fragile. Absolutely gutted tonight.

Funny things happen at the end of the season. Cambridge winning at Burton is not inevitable, nor are they nailed on to beat Forest Green although that could easily be regarded as straw clutching.

It’s not over til it’s over - but if we end up in League Two I will still be there, because when a team plays like we did for the first part of the second half today then it will always be the beautiful game.

Top post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:04 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
HarpenDon wrote:

Top post.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:07 pm 

Absolutely gutted

The 4 goal spell was truly amazing. I was dancing in the stands, it was football heaven. The third goal was a beauty. To not win was devastating.

Lots of positives though. Paris maghoma is my player of the season - fantastic player , he took the game by the scuff of the neck in that period we scored our goals. Leko was excellent as well