THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 am 

End of the day the way Neilson and the club handled it was disgraceful and embarrassing.

Neilson was doomed to fail with this going on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am 
RedDotDon wrote:
End of the day the way Neilson and the club handled it was disgraceful and embarrassing.

This. I'm bewildered by the few supporters that saw nothing wrong with how they handled Lewie being ostracized from the club. I've not being a fan of Lewie for a few seasons, but even I thought something was very wrong about it, and I'm still a bit surprised at how Pete dealt with it in that video interview, like he was covering for Neilson.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

This. I'm bewildered by the few supporters that saw nothing wrong with how they handled Lewie being ostracized from the club. I've not being a fan of Lewie for a few seasons, but even I thought something was very wrong about it, and I'm still a bit surprised at how Pete dealt with it in that video interview, like he was covering for Neilson.

How do you think they should have handled it?

Assume the following:

1. Lewie said he could play every game
2. Robbie said he was a squad player
3. #2 upset Lewie so he became a disturbing influence.

So you can do the following:

1. Play Lewie every match
2. Tell Lewie to train elsewhere
3. Tell Lewie he can't play every match (again)
4. Other

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:33 am 

Yes back in the club, but if he sets foot on a pitch I will be disappointed. He has not been fit for the first team in a few years now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

At the end of the day most of our supporters (myself included) had no idea what REALLY happened between Lewie and Neilson. You hear and read rumours, but until you hear it directly from Lewie or Neilson that's all they are is rumours. Players fall out with Managers all the time, why would we respond to this any differently than the rumours in the past? As foir how it was dealt with what would you have liked to have seen them do differently?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 am 
Don Direction wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

How do you think they should have handled it?

Assume the following:

1. Lewie said he could play every game
2. Robbie said he was a squad player
3. #2 upset Lewie so he became a disturbing influence.

So you can do the following:

1. Play Lewie every match
2. Tell Lewie to train elsewhere
3. Tell Lewie he can't play every match (again)
4. Other

I would have spent more time finding a solution that didn't involve Lewie feeling he wasn't welcome at a club that he's spent over 13 years at, regardless of whether he's playing or not.

Clearly Lewie not being at the club and training elsewhere didn't make the slightest bit of difference to our squad or how we played, as we were still shit.

The whole episode was in bad taste. I agree that he isn't good enough to play week in week out, but the way it was handled was poor, and I think the majority of fans would agree with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 am 

Otterspocket wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

At the end of the day most of our supporters (myself included) had no idea what REALLY happened between Lewie and Neilson. You hear and read rumours, but until you hear it directly from Lewie or Neilson that's all they are is rumours. Players fall out with Managers all the time, why would we respond to this any differently than the rumours in the past? As foir how it was dealt with what would you have liked to have seen them do differently?

In fairness I have.

I can confirm it was an absolute disgrace.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 am 
Otterspocket wrote:

See above.

This is also part of the reason why I've criticised the club's social media/engagement with fans. Things like this that get out - we as supporters like you say aren't partial to what goes on behind the scenes. I'm not saying that should change, but the club projects a certain image of itself, and if the only response to a matter involving our longest serving player is a few minutes from the chairman 'covering' for his manager, then it's not handled well. The reasons Pete gave just felt like excuses and only felt like Neilson's side of the story, not Lewie's.

I'm not a marketing/media expert, but the club really needs to step up a gear in their efforts with communicating with fans, engaging with fans better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:

See above.

This is also part of the reason why I've criticised the club's social media/engagement with fans. Things like this that get out - we as supporters like you say aren't partial to what goes on behind the scenes. I'm not saying that should change, but the club projects a certain image of itself, and if the only response to a matter involving our longest serving player is a few minutes from the chairman 'covering' for his manager, then it's not handled well. The reasons Pete gave just felt like excuses and only felt like Neilson's side of the story, not Lewie's.

I'm not a marketing/media expert, but the club really needs to step up a gear in their efforts with communicating with fans, engaging with fans better.

There's an old saying of not washing your dirty laundry in public. Pete gave as much and even more as he could and to mix metaphors, now Neilson has gone it can all blow over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 am 
ReturnofMoo wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:

See above.

There's an old saying of not washing your dirty laundry in public. Pete gave as much and even more as he could and to mix metaphors, now Neilson has gone it can all blow over.

I agree with the meaning, but that doesn't have to apply to every situation, especially when rumours are floating around. Pete addressed it, but it wasn't a satisfying response. Lewie is an institution at this club. It would be like Steven Gerrard being told he can't train at Liverpool.

Anyway, like you say - it's in the past now, Neilson is gone and the club can move on from this awkward chapter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next