THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next season
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:47 pm 

Maybe, does leave me massively worrying about strength in depth though. An injury crisis and we will be up against it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:00 pm 

An injury crisis is likely. We've always had them.

I don't doubt the info you've heard is reliable, but I've heard similar before. I can't quite out my finger on what it was but when we went down in 2018 there was a lot of talk from similar reports that we were planning ahead of a 3 year plan in L2 to build on coming up stronger.... I might be putting it wrong but something like that. Listening to Tis' podcast on the official EFL Podcast, he mentioned the chairman gave him two seasons minimum to get out the League so that kinda stacks up a bit.... but that summer we did really well in the transfer market. Had a larger squad than ordinarily we'd like, but I can see a world where similar happens again.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:51 am 

BetterCallSaul wrote:
JonnyG wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:
I am privy to some inside information now and again, and I know that next season we are aiming to have a squad of 20/22 players and 4/5 of those are to be players from the youth academy, they are looking to massively cut back next season. I’ve seen a lot of information from training that tbh is very damming if our current midfield and shows why the youth will be played next season instead. Stay up or go down, I think we are going to be in for a very tough year next season.

Not doubting your information. However, I find it very difficult to believe that PW and the club (if/when we are relegated) would risk potentially dropping into non League with such a risky strategy.
We all know that the team has come second or even third in terms of priority for a number of different reasons over the years. But PW is open about the fact he wants to sell up. If he wants to achieve that, then he'll get a lot more interest (or at least some) if we are in L1.
He's going to want/have to plough money into the training ground, but underfunding or making drastic cuts to the playing budget would be suicide for his selling ambition.

I think it’s more because of their belief in the youth players we have, I hope so anyway. But I can assure you that is the plan, they want a smaller squad with the youth acting as the back ups. Fine if it works, Tripp will defo be a saleable asset in a few years, but it doesn’t fill me with much hope.

To be honest I think that sounds like the right approach. Our squad is bloated this year with player who just aren't good enough and I wonder does it impact on their desire/effort levels. I'd much rather have academy graduates on the periphery over the likes of Robson and Smith. In seasons were things arent going so well the highlights have been watching our homegrown talents make a breakthrough. This season there has been no pathway for any of them. I appreciate the comments about injuries etc but a smaller squad sounds like a better approach to me.

Next season we will hopefully see Ilunga (was doing really well on his loan spell) and Tripp around the 1st team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:31 am 

If this is the approach, and we end up in L2, the club will have a hard time selling it to the fans.

I half agree with the strategy, if it is indeed verifiable. Too many floaty players with no real attachment making up the numbers - so much dross. Smith hasn't done anything this year, for example. You could easily cut about 8 players from the current squad and not shed a tear.

Our midfield is seriously lacking and we don't cover nearly enough ground, don't need a heart rate monitor to tell me that. We have all seen the last 20 minute drop off in the squad, it's fitness, pure and simple.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:34 am 

paul4040 wrote:
If this is the approach, and we end up in L2, the club will have a hard time selling it to the fans.

I half agree with the strategy, if it is indeed verifiable. Too many floaty players with no real attachment making up the numbers - so much dross. Smith hasn't done anything this year, for example. You could easily cut about 8 players from the current squad and not shed a tear.

Our midfield is seriously lacking and we don't cover nearly enough ground, don't need a heart rate monitor to tell me that. We have all seen the last 20 minute drop off in the squad, it's fitness, pure and simple.

Actually, if the club sold it as a 'reset' and getting 'back to basics' with a real focus on bringing a new generation of Academy players through, that might give people something to get behind. And hopefully people would cut the team a little bit of slack if it didn't look like we were going to come straight back up.

It'd certainly appeal to me a lot more than a load of anonymous journeyman dross.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:30 pm 

Ideally I'd agree but fans would then moan about not spending money... probably me included.

Something that is very dangerous with that strategy is that going down we instantly become one of the top 3/4 biggest clubs in the League in terms of attraction and probably one of the bookies favourites... you stall a bit, and before you inow it you're years in that League and a run of the mill League Two club. Bradford, Tranmere, Colchester, Walsall etc were staples of League One for a while and have seriously struggled to get out of it. Which is why getting promoted by hook or by crook last time is an understated achievement. I saw it as "job done" at the time, but looking back, it was really really fortunate and lucky things went our way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:30 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Ideally I'd agree but fans would then moan about not spending money... probably me included.

Something that is very dangerous with that strategy is that going down we instantly become one of the top 3/4 biggest clubs in the League in terms of attraction and probably one of the bookies favourites... you stall a bit, and before you inow it you're years in that League and a run of the mill League Two club. Bradford, Tranmere, Colchester, Walsall etc were staples of League One for a while and have seriously struggled to get out of it. Which is why getting promoted by hook or by crook last time is an understated achievement. I saw it as "job done" at the time, but looking back, it was really really fortunate and lucky things went our way.

I don't really care who is on the pitch so long as they are passionate. Something which IMO was lacking on Saturday. They didn't seem to give two shits. I know I haven't watched every game but the level of intensity was non existent considering what was on the line. They have given up so they do not deserve my sympathies if they are benched or kicked out and replaced by youngsters. I know this wont be the whole squad there is a few (and I mean a few) who are worth keeping but the rest can all fuck off really. You think we will be the bookies favourites? Nope. That would be the en vogue Welsh side who look like they are going to try and get fucking Bale out of retirement and could have Robson-Kanu next season as well. Say what you will if those two do come out of retirement along with who they have now you might as well give them the title. I can also see others being an attraction before us. Bradford/Tranmere/Cambridge/Notts County if they win the play offs. Also, ours is a big fall from grace compared to this time last year when Twine won the L1 POTY we are a shadow of that and that stink doesn't get removed so easily.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:16 pm 

Getting promoted from L2 or staying in L1, unlikely. At least we will win the Bucks cross country championship. :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:44 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

I don't really care who is on the pitch so long as they are passionate. Something which IMO was lacking on Saturday. They didn't seem to give two shits. I know I haven't watched every game but the level of intensity was non existent considering what was on the line. They have given up so they do not deserve my sympathies if they are benched or kicked out and replaced by youngsters. I know this wont be the whole squad there is a few (and I mean a few) who are worth keeping but the rest can all fuck off really. You think we will be the bookies favourites? Nope. That would be the en vogue Welsh side who look like they are going to try and get fucking Bale out of retirement and could have Robson-Kanu next season as well. Say what you will if those two do come out of retirement along with who they have now you might as well give them the title. I can also see others being an attraction before us. Bradford/Tranmere/Cambridge/Notts County if they win the play offs. Also, ours is a big fall from grace compared to this time last year when Twine won the L1 POTY we are a shadow of that and that stink doesn't get removed so easily.

Two things to consider here:

I said ONE of the bookies favourites. Not THE. When 4 teams can get promoted, rest assured we will be.

Second point, if we were as much as rumoured to get fucking Hal Robson-Kanu out of retirement to play for us you'd spit venom. Don't convince yourself otherwise. They may as well enquire about Gabby Agbinlahor whilst they're at it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:30 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Two things to consider here:

I said ONE of the bookies favourites. Not THE. When 4 teams can get promoted, rest assured we will be.

Second point, if we were as much as rumoured to get fucking Hal Robson-Kanu out of retirement to play for us you'd spit venom. Don't convince yourself otherwise. They may as well enquire about Gabby Agbinlahor whilst they're at it.

Ho, a fat, sarcastic Star Trek fan. You must be a devil with the ladies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next