THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:54 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – FLEETWOOD TOWN
As usual it’s my Saturday morning musings ahead of the big kick off at 3pm in what is the latest in a long list of must win fixtures, from here there is no hiding place, win, and it takes a little bit of pressure off, lose and I just dare not think what could happen, and after that second half performance on Tuesday night I have very little confidence, so I am just hoping the sheer embarrassment of their performance against Charlton might just stir up a bit of pride and they start actually fighting for League 1 survival.

We have three fixtures left, and I can’t say I fancy us in any of them especially next Saturday at home to Barnsley. We played them back in November losing 3-1 and although the scoreline doesn’t really suggest a good hiding, they had 20 shots in the game, and we did well to keep it semi-respectable.

Barnsley are already in the playoffs guaranteeing their berth by beating Oxford today and can afford to start resting players, and that could be a big bonus, we can only hope they won't want to risk any key players, or they won't be up for a fight, but then again are we.

As for today, well I guess it depends which team turns up for us, and we can forget this myth that teams with nothing to play for are already on the beach, I wonder if Accrington thought that as they shipped 5 goals against them last Saturday, although on Tuesday, Fleetwood drew 0-0 with already relegated Forest Green, work that out if you can.

Regarding the team line up, I’m not that fussed to be honest, although if Grigg was to start my anxiety levels might just creep up.

The rumour that O’Hora might be available has proved to be true and in he comes to start the game alongside Tucker & Lewie and Stewart is nowhere to be seen, injured or tactical.

IMHO that’s about the best we can turn out, it's in the lap of the footballing God’s now…. here come the teams.

Just hearing that the Cod Army are giving a few kids a chance, that could work either way.

Well……that’s another opportunity left town, honestly, we are not good enough, not today, all season, we have flattered on occasions, beat some equally bad teams, and the only reason we are not already down is because there are teams that incredibly are worse than us.

I’m afraid we have kidded ourselves, that unbeaten run has long left town, we beat three rubbish teams where we were fractionally better, drew with a 10 man Pompey, and probably the only thing that gave us hope were two draws, one against Wycombe, the other against a misfiring Derby, but it has to be said we defended well.

Since then, we have folded like a cheap suit, mugged by Cheltenham as we failed to manage the game, showing total naivety, lost to Charlton and showed all the fight of an asthmatic ant trying to get out of a wet paper bag, and then today, where we failed to produce anything of quality to even work a sweat up from the rookie 18 year old keeper.

We are shockingly bad…. you can’t say anything else; we really do deserve to be relegated and the only thing that will save us is the other clubs around us failing, but looking at the fixtures left for our nearest rivals you really fear the worst.

Ok we had a fair few shots, but they didn’t amount to much, and most were charged down giving the Dons a lesson in fighting for the badge.

I don’t know what else to say, you can only say the same thing so many times. Do I blame Jacko, no not really, he’s tried to get something out of players that are largely not good enough, and trying to put a square peg in a round hole is about the only thing the only thing we can charge him with and let’s face it he had to try something. Will he stay if the worst happens, who knows, but with Robbo prowling about, anything could happen, in which case I will have a degree of sympathy for Jacko, he was dealt a bad hand, and he must have felt he could have some impact on the team, sadly he was mistaken, they are actually as shit as he probably first thought.

So deserved relegation I said, yes that’s right, and I’m not talking about on the field, that’s a given, off the field we have been a shambles as well, and if we do get in the elevator and press down you can forget the big away followings at SMK, which will probably mean there will be more cuts and some poor underserving soul or souls will pay the price for the club playing budget football and charging top whack at the tills.

Of course, we are not down yet, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, we still have Barnsley at home and Burton away to come and Barnsley are beatable……sorry I’ve been drinking……yes I did say that. Wishful thinking perhaps but you never know, I do really but it sounds like we have a chance if I say that.

We now have to wait for a few Tuesday games to see how that impacts on the table, with Accrington, and Oxford playing.

That’s about it really, shorter than normal, I just hope the club get the sofas up in time in the Cowshed, so we can all hide behind them on Saturday.

Still don’t forget all of you, it’s a rocky start, that’s all it is.

Checkout the Match Preview on Friday.

Bye for now.

WD 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:09 pm 

Hard to disagree. If we were firing at all, we were firing blanks. It doesn't bode well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:22 pm 

Our only chance of getting a reprieve from the drop is if someone can give this lot a backbone !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:48 pm 

netminder wrote:
Our only chance of getting a reprieve from the drop is if someone can give this lot a backbone !!!!

We need a miracle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGiaa0vVZAw