THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:06 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
The club are getting exactly what they deserve.

People can blame the departures of Twine, Darling with a few others like Kasumu and the the loss of Parrott and Coventry. But realistically the club clearly didn’t want to capitalise on the success of last season. The recruitment has been shocking. Not a single new player can hold their heads up high and not a single one of them would have made last seasons team, let alone the squad.

Manning was let down by the summer recruitment and the January transfer window was a joke.

Pete is responsible for this. He could have used some of the money from Twine, Darling and Matt O to grow on last seasons success and get quality players in. Instead he bought a tonne of mediocre players.

He’s getting exactly what he deserves. Sweeting is a joke too and the person we should be grateful for last season is Russell Martin for the players he brought in.

League Two is exactly what they deserve.

I agree with most of what you say. However, there is a rumour back last summer that the Twine money would be paid in instalments I think I read this on a Supporters Forum minutes. If that is true then that is a huge influx of money that we might be able to earmark, but unless we are risking it would we spend it? No cause we have so risk adverse its scary.

As I said on another post Fleetwood signed Jack Marriott in Jan. We signed Max Dean who doesn't even make the bench. In a team who is crying out for goals we sign an 18 year old that hardly ever gets used. The ambition was clear to see (I do like Max, but when clubs like Fleetwood who must have less money coming in than us sign someone with a wealth of League 1 and some Championship experience you know something is wrong with us). Sweeting was left to find players in Jan along with recruiting for a new manager. He spread himself so thin he couldn't do it all as I guess December is when you would start to filter out who you need and ramp up your approaches. Didnt it take us till the middle of Jan to sign someone? Please correct me if I am wrong. We lack ambition we always have. Pete talks the talk but he is getting to retirement age which is why Sweeting was bumped to DoF. However, he was head of recruitment before that so why can't he sort out a decent squad.

99% of all transfer fees are paid in installments.

Good to know, but the Dons know what’s to come by way of payments and when, so why can’t they have instalment plans for players brought in?

I suspect most if not all our signings will have been in installments too. Don't forget, we have spent a considerable amount of money this season. Tucker, Burns, Devoy, Grant, Leko, Holland?, Dean?

Ultimately, it's an impossible question to answer as we do not know what financial commitments the club has in terms of wages and other overheads, which the transfer fees need to cover (otherwise we are just forever losing money and would be unsustainable).

As I mentioned in another thread. The board made additional money available for transfers and we know this due to reliable reports linking us to Bishop and a 500k bid. However, that is a lot of money for us to be spending, so the player has to be 100% right. Its very easy for us to spend the money on here but spending that money when the consequences lie with you, means for a far tougher decision and way more scrutiny is involved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:22 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

People can blame the departures of Twine, Darling with a few others like Kasumu and the the loss of Parrott and Coventry. But realistically the club clearly didn’t want to capitalise on the success of last season. The recruitment has been shocking. Not a single new player can hold their heads up high and not a single one of them would have made last seasons team, let alone the squad.

Manning was let down by the summer recruitment and the January transfer window was a joke.

Pete is responsible for this. He could have used some of the money from Twine, Darling and Matt O to grow on last seasons success and get quality players in. Instead he bought a tonne of mediocre players.

He’s getting exactly what he deserves. Sweeting is a joke too and the person we should be grateful for last season is Russell Martin for the players he brought in.

I agree with most of what you say. However, there is a rumour back last summer that the Twine money would be paid in instalments I think I read this on a Supporters Forum minutes. If that is true then that is a huge influx of money that we might be able to earmark, but unless we are risking it would we spend it? No cause we have so risk adverse its scary.

As I said on another post Fleetwood signed Jack Marriott in Jan. We signed Max Dean who doesn't even make the bench. In a team who is crying out for goals we sign an 18 year old that hardly ever gets used. The ambition was clear to see (I do like Max, but when clubs like Fleetwood who must have less money coming in than us sign someone with a wealth of League 1 and some Championship experience you know something is wrong with us). Sweeting was left to find players in Jan along with recruiting for a new manager. He spread himself so thin he couldn't do it all as I guess December is when you would start to filter out who you need and ramp up your approaches. Didnt it take us till the middle of Jan to sign someone? Please correct me if I am wrong. We lack ambition we always have. Pete talks the talk but he is getting to retirement age which is why Sweeting was bumped to DoF. However, he was head of recruitment before that so why can't he sort out a decent squad.

Good to know, but the Dons know what’s to come by way of payments and when, so why can’t they have instalment plans for players brought in?

I suspect most if not all our signings will have been in installments too. Don't forget, we have spent a considerable amount of money this season. Tucker, Burns, Devoy, Grant, Leko, Holland?, Dean?

Ultimately, it's an impossible question to answer as we do not know what financial commitments the club has in terms of wages and other overheads, which the transfer fees need to cover (otherwise we are just forever losing money and would be unsustainable).

As I mentioned in another thread. The board made additional money available for transfers and we know this due to reliable reports linking us to Bishop and a 500k bid. However, that is a lot of money for us to be spending, so the player has to be 100% right. Its very easy for us to spend the money on here but spending that money when the consequences lie with you, means for a far tougher decision and way more scrutiny is involved.

According to the minutes of that meeting it said that the lower league clubs always want fees in full upfront which is understandable which is probably why in the past we have been reluctant to go for lower league/non league players. Its when you sell to higher ups they have more sway as could we turn down the money we were/are getting for twine? No chance so they hold us to ransom in a way, what do Burnley care if they walk away from Twine. Its weather or not we have the guts to try and hold out for the best deal for us, which goes back to ambition and the risk factor which is a big problem with us historically.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:01 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

Understandable, which lays blame directly at the feet of Sweeting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:29 pm 

The OS is stating 'We're not Don yet'
https://www.mkdons.com/news/2023/april/ ... t-don-yet/

Whilst I assume they mean 'the season isn't finished yet', to me it comes across as 'were not done - as in DOWN - yet'.
Or is that the point?

It also has the puzzling tag line "We have two games left to define our season. Let's get the job done and let's get the job done. We are MK Dons and we're! See you Saturday!".
Is it me?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:22 pm 

I fucking hate league 2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:31 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
I fucking hate league 2.

Well, you’ll have to enjoy it next year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:53 am 

The only positive to take from last night is that it leaves us in no two minds about what we need from our last two games. We have to go for the wins and there should be no faffing about holding on for a draw etc. As far as our relegation rivals go, I am actually thinking an accrington win against cambridge would benefit us more. If we only managed to get a draw out of the barnsley game, we would be level on points with accrington but with a superior goal difference and go in to our last game knowing only a win will do but should still see us up. If its a draw between cambridge and accrington, we could win our last 2 games and it still not be enough to finish ahead of cambridge,if cambridge get results in both of theirs. Would prefer it to remain in our own hands. I think we will probably know our destiny before the burton game to be fair. Particularly with cambridge playing their game in hand the wednesday prior.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:19 am 

The probability of us being in 22nd place come 5pm on Saturday is very high.

We lose to Barnsley and if both Morecambe (Lincoln at home) and Accrington (Cambridge at home) both win it pretty much seals our fate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:45 am 

I posted in the other thread about Barnsley potentially resting players and being a bit deflated after their automatic challenge essentially ended. Honestly though the more I think about it this morning the more I think they will absolutely batter us :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:56 am 

Ormeau wrote:
I posted in the other thread about Barnsley potentially resting players and being a bit deflated after their automatic challenge essentially ended. Honestly though the more I think about it this morning the more I think they will absolutely batter us :(

I think it can work the other way in that they no longer have pressure on them so can play with freedom. They'll also want to go into the play offs with momentum, so highly doubt they'll be resting many players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next