THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:32 pm 

We are too good to go down

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:49 pm 

If Ipswich do Barnsley in the week I can see them resting players as the autos will b off the table. If they do beat Ipswich they will play full strength. They are much like we were 12 months ago (what a long 12 months it has been). As for Burton they are an odd sort but we have to just go for it. None of this bullshit of the second half today. I'm just amazed we are still not in the bottom four. That may change by next weekend but for now it's still in our hands

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:47 pm 

One of the worst things about the teams below us playing each other, is that not all of them can lose and will both either gain a point or one of them takes 3.

I can't even work out what results are best for us. We obviously don't want Cambridge beating Accrington, but then again if Accrington win, they'll be on 41 points.

Assuming we lose to Barnsley (extremely high probability), then there is going to be 3 of the bottom 4 within touching distance of us.

Is Accrington v Oxford on the final day a good thing or a bad thing? Honestly can't work it out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:59 pm 

Is it possible for both us and Oxford to go down? Double relegations in one season for Manning :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:47 pm 

Here's hoping we have a modern day Gareth Edds on the pitch for a final game of the season.

Also, interesting about how 3 of the 4 teams relegated to L2 that year went down and out.

20 Milton Keynes Dons 46 12 15 19 54 68 −14 51
21 Torquay United 46 12 15 19 55 79 −24 51
22 Wrexham 46 13 14 19 62 80 −18 43
23 Peterborough United 46 9 12 25 49 73 −24 39
24 Stockport County 46 6 8 32 49 98 −49 26

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:09 am 

HarpenDon wrote:
Does anybody remember the final month of the League 2 season in 2018/19?

Week after week we convinced ourselves the promotion push was over, culminating in a dreadful afternoon at Colchester. What kept us alive was that other results didn’t go the way we thought they would and we stayed alive all the way to that final game against Mansfield at Le Stade MK.

Point being, that we can’t be sure that other teams will win the games we think they will. There is actually a scenario in all of this that the 43 points we have will be enough. It’s not very likely but it is still possible that we will escape.

Yes. This. The other teams around us are absolutely shit as well.

I can't remember a League 1 as schizophrenic as this - the top has excellent quality but the bottom is unbelievably dire. The bottom 8 teams or so could all warrant relegation. There's a lot of crap in the league this year. We aren't the only ones, but we do seem to be unique in the level of doom-mongering!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:45 am 

paul4040 wrote:
HarpenDon wrote:
Does anybody remember the final month of the League 2 season in 2018/19?

Week after week we convinced ourselves the promotion push was over, culminating in a dreadful afternoon at Colchester. What kept us alive was that other results didn’t go the way we thought they would and we stayed alive all the way to that final game against Mansfield at Le Stade MK.

Point being, that we can’t be sure that other teams will win the games we think they will. There is actually a scenario in all of this that the 43 points we have will be enough. It’s not very likely but it is still possible that we will escape.

Yes. This. The other teams around us are absolutely shit as well.

I can't remember a League 1 as schizophrenic as this - the top has excellent quality but the bottom is unbelievably dire. The bottom 8 teams or so could all warrant relegation. There's a lot of crap in the league this year. We aren't the only ones, but we do seem to be unique in the level of doom-mongering!

At the moment, they're not though. Cambridge and Morecambe have been picking up results. Cambridge beat Peterborough away and drew with Bolton. They also beat Port Vale and Fleetwood, something we failed to do. They're last 3 games are Accrington, Burton and Forest Green. They will win at least 2 of these.

You've then got Morecambe who in their last 5 games have played Barnsley, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Wycombe and Charlton, which they have taken 7 points from. Once again, better than us against that opposition and also have an easier run in that us.

We are the only team with a game against a team in the top half of the table remaining. Oxford and Cambridge also have a game in hand.

Honestly, it looks massively bleak to me. We find ourselves in a situation where we HAVE to at least pick up a point against Barnsley on Saturday. If we lose and Cambridge draw, it's no longer in our hands. If we draw and Cambridge win, its also no longer in our hands.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:08 am 

We scraped results against Wycombe, Portsmouth and Derby. No reason why we can't do the same against Burnley and Burton.

However, in recent games we have played some good football but also some of the worst we've seen all season.

The team have to turn up and play with intelligence and 100% effort. Defensively, we have to be switched on for 90+ minutes. Attack-wise, our creative players have to start making good decisions (grossly absent in recent games).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:58 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
We scraped results against Wycombe, Portsmouth and Derby. No reason why we can't do the same against Burnley and Burton.

However, in recent games we have played some good football but also some of the worst we've seen all season.

The team have to turn up and play with intelligence and 100% effort. Defensively, we have to be switched on for 90+ minutes. Attack-wise, our creative players have to start making good decisions (grossly absent in recent games).

I think it would be almost impossible to get a result against Burnley. I guess there is a chance Rotherham could get an extremely delayed 3 point deduction

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:38 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:

I think it would be almost impossible to get a result against Burnley. I guess there is a chance Rotherham could get an extremely delayed 3 point deduction

Yep. I see what I've done there. I need to stop posting between more complicated activities...

They're both northern and share five letters, so I know you know what I was talking about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next