THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Annual Accounts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:37 am 

Makes it even more confusing as to why we've scrimped so much this season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:11 pm 

AB4 wrote:
Makes it even more confusing as to why we've scrimped so much this season.

Well we achieved pretty decent results with those finances and then went on to spend more this summer than last (or maybe ever)...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:53 pm 

No real surprise here, Twine being sold more than counterbalancing the usual level of operating loss.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:03 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
No real surprise here, Twine being sold more than counterbalancing the usual level of operating loss.

If you double check we received just over £1m for player disposals in the financial year and paid slightly more for player additions. It's been said many times that the transfers that were made had staged payments hence the rumored war chest at the start of the season was never available. Good to see that the accumulated losses are down to below £10m.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:06 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Surely we can afford the Koi Carp pools now ?

Posted from my medication tablet.
I'm at SMK right now spraying that very message on the wall to the right of Gate 5 (as you face it)!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:21 am 

Interesting that our wages went down in 2021/22 compared to 2020/21. I assume this includes back room staff too, does Andy Cullen wages contribute to this? Or just smarter money ball purchases?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:55 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Interesting that our wages went down in 2021/22 compared to 2020/21. I assume this includes back room staff too, does Andy Cullen wages contribute to this? Or just smarter money ball purchases?

Looking at the 20/21 squad we lost a lot of presumably big earners that year. Gilbey, Healey, Willo, Keogh, Fraser, Jerome, Agard, Houghton, Nicholls and Surman I can imagine were all on a decent wage. The only high earner we brought in at that time I could imagine was Eisa and maybe Twine. Add to that the staff wages where Russell Martin was almost certainly on higher or similar to Manning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:57 am 

Andy Cullen was the only paid Director so yes it contributes.

in the 2021 accounts his salary was declared as £112,194 (inc pension) so it will have made a material difference.

There was roughly a £400k difference between the years.
£100k was AC.
£100k was a reduction in pension costs (although we are still paying approx £100k towards pensions for old WFC players that were in the EFL scheme that ceased in Aug 1999).
There was a reduction in playing staff/coaches of 3 (66 vs 69) and an increase of club staff (39 vs 37). So the extra £200k would have been saved here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:37 pm 

Digger wrote:
Andy Cullen was the only paid Director so yes it contributes.

in the 2021 accounts his salary was declared as £112,194 (inc pension) so it will have made a material difference.

There was roughly a £400k difference between the years.
£100k was AC.
£100k was a reduction in pension costs (although we are still paying approx £100k towards pensions for old WFC players that were in the EFL scheme that ceased in Aug 1999).
There was a reduction in playing staff/coaches of 3 (66 vs 69) and an increase of club staff (39 vs 37). So the extra £200k would have been saved here.

I think you may need to qualify that for any peeking AFCW fans.

Once one dragged me into a debate with former player Kevin Gage over it on twitter. He said "MK Dons don't pay my pension". He didn't really grasp that I was referring to the players benevolent fund that is effectively an insurance premium that benefits players who's careers are cut short by injury or find themselves in harship in later life. Thick as mince (KG and the AFCW fan), but then I suspected that about him anyway.

Anyway, we still pay that premium as one of our commitments over WFC and the only beneficiaries of it (it was scrapped in 1999) are former WFC players, not MK Dons players.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:47 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
I think you may need to qualify that for any peeking AFCW fans.

Anyway, we still pay that premium as one of our commitments over WFC and the only beneficiaries of it (it was scrapped in 1999) are former WFC players, not MK Dons players.

I knew that you'd be onto this one !

We've had this discussion before and I'm sure that there's not many on either side that realize the facts. It seemed an opportune time to point this out for all parties.