THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:10 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – DERBY COUNTY
Hello and thanks for tuning in again, I’m watching from home today, I did think about going but decided against it, I’ve been to Pride Park before so its wasn’t a case of missing an opportunity to cross one off the list which in a way I’m pleased about.

I went too long without even contemplating missing a game, so I’m sort of glad I can give it a miss, and not sit stewing over it all day. It does also have its advantages, I’m here in the warm and dry with a large acholic beverage to dull any potential heartbreak, or to help along with the celebrations, and I don’t have to fight my way out of a carpark or drive home, a winner all round.

I have to say straight off the bat I’m concerned, Harvie missing was not a surprise, so I had already penciled in Jules as cover, but the loss of Tucker gives me a degree of worry. From months of not giving a rat’s arse if Tucker played or not, I now find myself very much in the Tucker Fan Club as he has slowly but surely shown there is a footballer in there, when many of us were disputing it, and he’s gone on to become one of the first on the team sheet.

Further concerning is Grant moved to the bench, which I don’t get, much of the good work in the final third has come through Grant, so I can only think we are going a bit defensive, or Grant is carrying a knock and they don’t want to risk starting him….we will never know, but we put our faith in Jacko…..well for 90 minutes anyway, here come the teams, see you later.

90 seconds in and Derby hit the post, I’m even more concerned than I was when I heard the team news.

Half time and its difficult viewing, Leko has been good, although he has dropped out of the game as its progressed, Lawrence has been awful, bloody awful, and we are defending in numbers with no real feeling we are solid and secure. Giving it away easy and trying to hit them on the break gives you an uneasy feel that this is a dangerous strategy.

Derby took the lead on 16 minutes, with Hourihane getting in front of everyone at a corner and McGoldrick on the line making sure it crossed the line, and a timely reminder for Dons players that corners or crosses have to beat the first man.

There is no doubt Derby are a different animal to what we’ve played lately, but we look so weak in the tackle and possession and offering too many opportunities to a team of better quality.

The only positive thing I can say is we are still in the game thanks to Derby spurning good chances and Cumming making plenty of saves.

We looked to be occasionally adventurous at 0-0, but we have really dropped back and offered very little since conceding, when you would think we would try and get out more to at least stop the relentless pressure, full backs/wingbacks have nothing to fear with this strategy and we can only hope Jacko can come up with a plan.

Here come the players….and I’ve just seen that stats, 17 shots from Derby, we have to try a different approach, or the end result is inevitable. Conor Grant has come on for Leko which probably explains why he disappeared as the half went on…..my concern levels have just gone up a notch or two.

BONUS POINT ALERT – its all over and I’m suffering mild shock, I cannot believe we stole a point, this is on a par with the Brinks Mat Robbery or the Great Train Robbery, for sure there will be dancing in the streets of MK tonight.

I said change was needed, and I’m not really sure we changed that much, other than the sub at halftime and probably a change in attitude, that despite the tidal wave coming from Derby we were still very much clinging on to still being in the game.

25 shots they had and somehow we kept them at bay, I confess I did not expect such spirit, fight, and determination, although that last 9 minutes had me kicking every ball and screaming at them to close down players as Derby continued to search for the winner.

The point grabber came from an unlikely source as Holland did well to win possession, get to the dead ball line and pulled it back for Lawrence to knock it past the Derby keeper, Rams fans behind the goal looked crestfallen, it was magical stuff.

Another confession…. I thought we had now poked the tiger in the eye, and they would come at us with a renewed vigour, and it was only a case of time before they restored the lead, but with a mixture of luck, desperate defending, and poor finishing we held on.

For all money that first half made me think …. how many…. we offered very little after Leko’s influence on the game dried up, but credit where credit is due they fought and fought and were rewarded by a most welcome and unlikely point.

Incredibly that’s us 6 unbeaten and the last 2 points gained against promotion chasing teams, and probably with a weakened team, well for this game.

MOTM…. I don’t really know, probably Cumming for keeping us in it in the first half and making several good saves, but we should probably be patting them all on the back for standing firm, and I guess we should include Jacko in that.

In other news, Oxford, Morecambe, Cambridge, and Cheltenham all got a draw, the last three in that list probably equally unlikely as our result, Accrington were spanked 3-0, and Forest Green with more than a foot in LG 2 lost 2-0.

Whilst this result eases the pressure a tad, the game next Saturday is still important, the point today will seem a poor return if we can’t deal with Cheltenham.

I’ll leave you with yet more news on the “Pub Team”, again they conceded two goals in injury time to lose at home…. again…that’s two wins in the last 19 games, and an incredible stat they have now lost over 30 points from winning positions this season, I don’t know about you, but I’m gutted for them, I can’t wait to watch the Sky highlights.

Enjoy the rest of the Easter weekend, see you Saturday.

COYD’s

8-) WD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:03 pm 

Quote:
I’m watching from home today, I did think about going but decided against it.....It does also have its advantages, I’m here in the warm and dry with a large acholic beverage to dull any potential heartbreak, or to help along with the celebrations.

At last we agree on something mate! ;) Oh and the afc comment of course also!
Blimey, that's two things.

Good(ish) write up in parts. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:27 pm 

Thanks - well sort of ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:46 pm 

Thanks as always WellDon.

Quote:
I’ll leave you with yet more news on the “Pub Team”, again they conceded two goals in injury time to lose at home…. again…that’s two wins in the last 19 games, and an incredible stat they have now lost over 30 points from winning positions this season, I don’t know about you, but I’m gutted for them, I can’t wait to watch the Sky highlights.

You wont be disappointed :lol:
I have a feeling only one Jackson will last the season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:15 pm 

Deeply. F- Deeply saddening. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6k0fb7MnBM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 am 

Glad I stayed up for that one, and the AFC news.

It was a hard watch at times but it is nice to see us do what so many teams have done to us over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:12 am 

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but that was three wins followed by three draws. What comes next? :o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:13 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but that was three wins followed by three draws. What comes next? :o

Three wins. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:00 pm 

Talking of meltdowns…………

https://twitter.com/fbawaydays/status/1 ... r_ayO489xA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:09 pm 

Qball wrote:

It's for people like him that I take particular pleasure in upsetting in terms of football results. Lovely.