THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Live! Derby (Away)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:33 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Phew!
Lucky to get away with one there but we worked hard and did our best and our best was enough and that's all we can ask for...

I must say, I thought that the handball pen was a pen but I'll have to se it again... either way, nice to see us shithousing a point for once.

Their fans were hilarious. Like, seriously the funniest and most fun bunch I've ever encountered. If they weren't 15 year old trying to be 40, they were 40 year old trying to to be 15 year old... my highlights were taking the piss out of them and laughing along with their shit chants and pointing... which seemed to annoy them more. I offered one, by hand signal, a drink after the game, which he of course mistook for a blowie. Bet he was disappointed. He wasn't my type. I don't go for knock off Stone Island in a guy myself 8-)

Honestly a load of fun, though.

Our club could learn so so much from that ground in how to run our ground... for a new build it felt like a football ground... every time I see these types it makes me more and more embarrassed about ours tbh... and even more flabbergasted at those that defend it.

1. Pride Park was open in 1997 well before MK Dons were a twinkle in Winky's eye. I think you can safely say it is not a new ground, modern yes, but new I don't think so.

2. I don't get what you mean by this point of being embarrassed by our ground. Do you mean the amount of people in it? Do you mean the comfort? The fact that they had one steward per 10 people? If you could please elaborate as I am a little confused. However, I can tell you for nothing for 26k attendance only the stand by us were making any kind of noise is fucking appalling IMO. I think it is no different to our ground having one set of fans that actually can be arsed to make noise. The more I go to these "bigger clubs" grounds the more I feel that we are no different to them in terms of who actually makes noise. I know they were probably frustrated, but I really thought the atmosphere was crap to be honest.

Wasn't referring to the noise whatsoever. As it goes, thought their atmosphere was "okay".. not great, their goal celebration was embarrassing. Considering they were giving it for 15 minutes leading up, felt like a pre season friendly celebration.

I'm talking more what it looks like. More character. More feeling of an actual football stadium. You walk around ours when the football isn't on and it feels like what it is, a multi purpose stadium and not a football stadium. Very little signage. Very little to showcase its MK Dons that play there. Pride Park had it all. Old pictures in poster form all around the exterior of the ground of former players, memorable moments, seas9ns gone by. The board we have at the top of the Cowshed? They had similar outside their gate. About 8 burger vans, statues of legends etc. Ours is quite simply a big bowl with some black marble brickwork and an MK Dons badge plastered on the building in each corner..Once you get into the ground there's very little character. Very few quirks to make it feel like ours. Go to many other grounds and it's full of imagery of their club. Their proud moments. Ours is simple, plain black, round and characterless.

But at least we have padded seats.

Any ground put up in the last 30 years that, as mentioned, is built for comfort, better safety and practicality after the Taylor Report is a new build. Leicester, Derby, Middlesbrough, MK Dons, Southampton, Reading, Doncaster, Hull, Emirates, WHL..

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:17 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Old pictures in poster form all around the exterior of the ground of former players, memorable moments, seas9ns gone by. The board we have at the top of the Cowshed? They had similar outside their gate. About 8 burger vans, statues of legends etc. Ours is quite simply a big bowl with some black marble brickwork and an MK Dons badge plastered on the building in each corner.

How do we do this without making it super cringe though? We've not been around long enough to have 'old players' as such. Who would we even have on posters outside the ground? Dele Alli? We'd need to have quite a few different players to make it work and we don't have any real 'Legends' other than Lewington.

As for statues, the same goes. No one other than Lewington can justify a statue and we're not going to erect one of a current player.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:25 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Old pictures in poster form all around the exterior of the ground of former players, memorable moments, seas9ns gone by. The board we have at the top of the Cowshed? They had similar outside their gate. About 8 burger vans, statues of legends etc. Ours is quite simply a big bowl with some black marble brickwork and an MK Dons badge plastered on the building in each corner.

How do we do this without making it super cringe though? We've not been around long enough to have 'old players' as such. Who would we even have on posters outside the ground? Dele Alli? We'd need to have quite a few different players to make it work and we don't have any real 'Legends' other than Lewington.

As for statues, the same goes. No one other than Lewington can justify a statue and we're not going to erect one of a current player.

I think it fairly safe to say we are already a bit 'cringe' and a bit of a laughing stock, so like with some of our chants, lets just embrace it.

For a club with less than 20 years of history under the current incarnation we've had a heck of a lot of special moments. It would be easy to fill the stadium with art/prints/photos of memorable moments if we wanted to.

Three promotions, Edds survival day, Man Utd, QPR, Heel of God, Norwich, JPT trophy, pictures of the stadium vs Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool, a wall of youth graduates who have moved on to success. So many things we could display.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:37 am 

That^

We don't have to be making prints for "legends" but we have enough iconic pictures from iconic results to give a bit of a lift to the ground with imagery. I could put plenty on here that'd look good blown up and stretched to add some character to the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:33 pm 

Strange
I much prefer the “feel” of our stadium. The open concourse with a view of the pitch is excellent, making it easy to move around, and great for disabled supporters.
All we need is a bigger crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:44 pm 

The view and levels of comfort cannot, and isn't being argued. What's being argued is the soullessness of the ground. As I said, it doesn't feel like a football ground, much less "our ground". It feels like exactly what it is, a multi purpose stadium with the football club it's least important asset.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:56 pm 

Our stadium is 'nice' but the feel and atmosphere come from how full it is.

Not complicated.

7000 at the NHS had more atmosphere than 7000 now. A full gig venue is far more exciting than a quarter full one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:58 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
That^

We don't have to be making prints for "legends" but we have enough iconic pictures from iconic results to give a bit of a lift to the ground with imagery. I could put plenty on here that'd look good blown up and stretched to add some character to the ground.

You cannot argue that this stadium has more character than ours.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:03 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Phew!
Lucky to get away with one there but we worked hard and did our best and our best was enough and that's all we can ask for...

I must say, I thought that the handball pen was a pen but I'll have to se it again... either way, nice to see us shithousing a point for once.

Their fans were hilarious. Like, seriously the funniest and most fun bunch I've ever encountered. If they weren't 15 year old trying to be 40, they were 40 year old trying to to be 15 year old... my highlights were taking the piss out of them and laughing along with their shit chants and pointing... which seemed to annoy them more. I offered one, by hand signal, a drink after the game, which he of course mistook for a blowie. Bet he was disappointed. He wasn't my type. I don't go for knock off Stone Island in a guy myself 8-)

Honestly a load of fun, though.

Our club could learn so so much from that ground in how to run our ground... for a new build it felt like a football ground... every time I see these types it makes me more and more embarrassed about ours tbh... and even more flabbergasted at those that defend it.

1. Pride Park was open in 1997 well before MK Dons were a twinkle in Winky's eye. I think you can safely say it is not a new ground, modern yes, but new I don't think so.

2. I don't get what you mean by this point of being embarrassed by our ground. Do you mean the amount of people in it? Do you mean the comfort? The fact that they had one steward per 10 people? If you could please elaborate as I am a little confused. However, I can tell you for nothing for 26k attendance only the stand by us were making any kind of noise is fucking appalling IMO. I think it is no different to our ground having one set of fans that actually can be arsed to make noise. The more I go to these "bigger clubs" grounds the more I feel that we are no different to them in terms of who actually makes noise. I know they were probably frustrated, but I really thought the atmosphere was crap to be honest.

Wasn't referring to the noise whatsoever. As it goes, thought their atmosphere was "okay".. not great, their goal celebration was embarrassing. Considering they were giving it for 15 minutes leading up, felt like a pre season friendly celebration.

I'm talking more what it looks like. More character. More feeling of an actual football stadium. You walk around ours when the football isn't on and it feels like what it is, a multi purpose stadium and not a football stadium. Very little signage. Very little to showcase its MK Dons that play there. Pride Park had it all. Old pictures in poster form all around the exterior of the ground of former players, memorable moments, seas9ns gone by. The board we have at the top of the Cowshed? They had similar outside their gate. About 8 burger vans, statues of legends etc. Ours is quite simply a big bowl with some black marble brickwork and an MK Dons badge plastered on the building in each corner..Once you get into the ground there's very little character. Very few quirks to make it feel like ours. Go to many other grounds and it's full of imagery of their club. Their proud moments. Ours is simple, plain black, round and characterless.

But at least we have padded seats.

Any ground put up in the last 30 years that, as mentioned, is built for comfort, better safety and practicality after the Taylor Report is a new build. Leicester, Derby, Middlesbrough, MK Dons, Southampton, Reading, Doncaster, Hull, Emirates, WHL..

As I say they are all modern grounds. Not new ones. But anyway thats just what I see them as.

They have 8 burger vans cause they have 26k turn up for League one games. I am sure we could have that if we were on their level of support, but unless we are in the Premier League then I doubt we would get that. Plus I dont know how it would work in terms of all the eateries (maccies, KFC, and the others that I can never remember by the cinema) would feel if a load of other burger vans etc rocked up all of a sudden.

As for the feel of the stadium I don't go to grounds to look at a mural/pictures on the wall I would go to an art gallery and that's great if you have history and have won trophies and been successful, but we don't. The only things I would want adorned our walls is the Man U game and the JPT win and as for players Lewie maybe Dele, Twine and possibly Sam Baldock. There will be a statue of Lewie when he retires especially as he is shoe in now for most appearances for one English club so long as he stays fit. However, I will say the amount of fucking adverts on the side of their ground on the outside looks hideous IMO, but I do get that people will always want different stuff and that is fair enough, but for me I arrive at 2:50 I leave at 5pm. i don't spend enough time in our ground to give two shits whats on the walls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:11 pm 

So why are you debating it then? :lol: :lol:

You seem pressed about someone's view that we could learn from a bit of what they had in their stadium (Other stadiums for similar context are available), then say you don't care because you arrive 10 minutes before kickoff, watch the game and go?

I've been watching games in that stadium since 2007, it's obviously good enough but our fans' attitude to improvement/questioning has always been like this. We're lucky to have a club and a spacious ground, no further comments necessary.

Also, if you're suggesting we have precious little to showcase than Twine, Alli and Lewington, and a JPT win and a promotion, I despair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next