THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Live! Derby (Away)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:27 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
So why are you debating it then? :lol: :lol:

You seem pressed about someone's view that we could learn from a bit of what they had in their stadium (Other stadiums for similar context are available), then say you don't care because you arrive 10 minutes before kickoff, watch the game and go?

I've been watching games in that stadium since 2007, it's obviously good enough but our fans' attitude to improvement/questioning has always been like this. We're lucky to have a club and a spacious ground, no further comments necessary.

Also, if you're suggesting we have precious little to showcase than Twine, Alli and Lewington, and a JPT win and a promotion, I despair.

Well I would hardly say 1 League 2 trophy and a JPT trophy is much to crow about in nearly 20 years of football. Oh yeah the 2nd place finish in League 1 and the 3rd place finish in League 2 are they worth putting a mural on a wall? A bit sad isnt it? Yeah the Man United game would be in there and the heel of god possibly. I merely questioned what part of our ground pissed you off compared to Derby and your saying cause we don't have 20ft signs on every corner of the ground (which even in one of your pictures it clearly shows we do have at the front of the ground) and pictures of Kevin Gallens face on the walls you think it's soulless. It is soulless cause it is far far to big for what we need it to be compared to the support (or lack thereof) from the 300k people who dwell within the city limits. No amount of pissing about with pictures and giant logos will change that. I suggest you take a look at the CBS Arena for example of a big soulless ground that is definitely in need of TLC and really why does it bother you that much? Would the team perform better if there was a statue of Karl Robinson outside gate 5? I am not saying that the status quo can't be changed in the ground if you want to fight for it, you do you, but for me I really wouldn't care about what's on the walls.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:56 pm 

The stadium itself is fine, it's the people operating it that's the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:15 pm 

It's not about imagery helping the team "perform better" it's about being proud of your identity, your club, your memories. Seeing them on display, especially in the place you go to watch your club try and do similar in a venue which has often been argued we feels like a 2nd or 3rd most important tenant that perform there. It's not just about attendance either. It doesn't feel soulless simply because of the attendance, we've had worse atmospheres with bigger turnouts so that's another debate.

We've got plenty to look back on and be fond of. Some wonderful players, some wonderful results that could be on display around a ground that is black, grey and plain and could easily be uplifted. You mention Coventry, even they have a wall of fame dedicated to those who've represented them in the past. A small gesture that goes a long way. We've got, what, a wall of season ticket holders which is nice and could be added to, surrounded by 15 year old pictures of school kids in MK who probably don't even know they've been on that wall for nearly 2 decades?

We've got plenty of good pictures of wonderful times gone by that'd add character and bounce to a stadium that looks like a shell of nothingness. Could be murals around the concourse, on the exterior of the ground etc that leaves no doubt who plays here.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:03 pm 

Someone’s been listening to you.
Dons Fans Village with music and street food vans outside gate 5 from 12.30 on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:14 pm 

I think you are forgetting about our FA cup win over Liverpool. Short memories.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:18 am 

It's one of the things that Lewington's did well at the start of it's run, despite now having to change the pictures to a plastic board and having certain dates wrong underneath the pictures. That sort of thing but bigger and blown up around the stadium would help make it feel that bit better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:28 am 

Nads to the photos. It's the lack of Koi Carp Pools and coloured light fountains outside Gate 6.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:11 am 

We need lots of photos of all the goals Simon Church scored for us.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:02 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
It's not about imagery helping the team "perform better" it's about being proud of your identity, your club, your memories. Seeing them on display, especially in the place you go to watch your club try and do similar in a venue which has often been argued we feels like a 2nd or 3rd most important tenant that perform there. It's not just about attendance either. It doesn't feel soulless simply because of the attendance, we've had worse atmospheres with bigger turnouts so that's another debate.

We've got plenty to look back on and be fond of. Some wonderful players, some wonderful results that could be on display around a ground that is black, grey and plain and could easily be uplifted. You mention Coventry, even they have a wall of fame dedicated to those who've represented them in the past. A small gesture that goes a long way. We've got, what, a wall of season ticket holders which is nice and could be added to, surrounded by 15 year old pictures of school kids in MK who probably don't even know they've been on that wall for nearly 2 decades?

We've got plenty of good pictures of wonderful times gone by that'd add character and bounce to a stadium that looks like a shell of nothingness. Could be murals around the concourse, on the exterior of the ground etc that leaves no doubt who plays here.

Really like this idea. Maybe something the supporters board can bring up at the next meeting?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:39 pm 

I don't really want to see Lewington's knob ever again. Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9