THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:45 pm 

Picking up on Jackos press interview, he mentioned that we don’t have a 21/23, Reserve team, or whatever you want to call it, this was after he was asked about Burns not getting game time.

So what’s the reason we don’t have one, is it purely financial? Surely it would benefit players not in the squad, those coming back from injury and even a stepping stone for academy players, to be playing in a competitive match

I can even remember Lewie doing his penance in such a team, after being banished from the first team by Nielson :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:58 pm 

It's bound to be money

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:26 pm 

I’d put money on it being money too.

I hadn’t realised we didn’t have one until the presser today.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:36 pm 

I seem to think we did, but we canned it because of a) the cost, b) the restrictive nature of playing these games in a structured setting and c) we felt the same benefits could be achieved by playing regular behind closed doors training games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:27 pm 

I think we’ve had a development side two or three times. Have a feeling the last one was during the Tisdale era (might be wrong!) and I recall being frustrated that every home game was played behind closed doors, contrary to what the club said would happen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:23 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:08 am 

Also what's the point when big clubs can poach the players with minimum compo, better to have a B team like Brentford.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:02 pm 

Most of our first team are under 23 (I am being facetious) but I can't see the benefit of running three teams u18s u23s and first team. Cost yes but also having the depth to run three teams. We seem to manage ok without one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:41 pm 

Not saying that its linked necessarily, but its a bit worrying that the pipeline of homegrown talent seems to be running dry. Since the likes of Nombe, Kasumu, Brittain, Sorinola etc made the step-up, no-one else looks close. Even in a season where we've struggled, who are the homegrown youngsters being transitioned into first team?

Could be down to no U21/U23 step on the ladder. Could be a deliberate focus on buying young talent rather than growing it. Could be down to the leadership gaps / transition in the academy. Could just be a cyclical thing - or a combo of the above. Just something I've noticed of late.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:22 pm 

Also a shame we don't loan players to the Icelandic league any more, like we did for George Baldock. It would do Burns some good.